Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't like shiny, plastic-finished wood, and the pistol grip is too tight a curve for my own comfort. I don't like the short bolt lift, or the shape of the bolt handle, don't like the magazine design, and I could probably think of other stuff I don't like about 'em. Oh yeah, when the SchitFerBrains sales clerk tried to sell me one, he badmouthed Model Seventies, and that pizzed me off, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
BP-B6

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm more selective on how I spend my money....A bolts are way overpriced for me...I'd buy or reccomend a Tikka/Sako or even something from Savage in a bolt gun...Marlin in a lever gun...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm one of the A-Bolt bashers on this site. I owned one for a short time, having purchased it (used) for my son. It was a Hunter model in 7-08. It was kinda pretty and certainly accurate enough, but IMHO it was nothing more than an accurate piece of junk. Inferior metal everywhere, a tremendously over-complicated bolt assembly held together with pins that was just asking for trouble, a magazine (also overcomplicated) that allowed the cartridges to rattle around as you walked through the woods, and more. Fortunately, my son liked it about as much as I did, so I sold it. Never again. Owned a BLR for awhile and got rid of that for similar reasons, too, but that's another story. The shotguns may well be different, but I have no first hand info about them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wvhunter
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

Yup and they could learn a thing or two about steel.They've never been known for producing good steel.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Because out of the box they often outshoot a remington ?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a hard feat these days.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree 7 STW, The Remington's I've purchased of late have been lacking in the accuracy department, accuracy was never an issue for me with Remington until lately. I think they may be getting a little sloppy, quality control is slipping a little at big green, maybe trying to put out too many guns for Wal-Mart or something..........547.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Browning firearms are in general cheesy, gaudy, clubby designs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my Stainless A-Bolt 260. Shoots friggin great, light and came out of the box not needing any work done to the trigger or bedding. Hunted with in in rain, sleet, snow and hot dry dusty stuff. Never a single hiccup. Magazine doesnt rattle at all. Done some low crawling with in in Wyoming sneaking up on an antelope, trigger guard didnt even break! I shoot, alot, never had a single problem with that gun. I do favor Rugers, but that A-Bolt is not a gun I am ashamed to own.

The only rifle I have ever owned that was a complete and total POS was a FWT M-70. I will never own another one of those again.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JAPAN

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
deleted

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had several A-bolts. I've had horses roll over them and break the stocks. Run into trees and bust scopes. But I've never had a part of the actual gun break or malfunction. They have been acurate and held up well. But mine were all built int he 70's. I don't know how the newer guns are holding up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Whelenman
JAPAN

I have a particular dislike of products made in japan. The primary reason is personal as my mothers only brother was killed by the japs near the end of WW2. It happend on Luzon where he was a sargent and full time army.

There are other reasons of course. The japs were the first here with imports to go against 'made in the USA' in my time.

Not surprised Sav 99 holds a prejudiced grudge. My brother lost a leg to a German but he holds no grudges against Germany. In fact we have some German blood in us along with about a half dozen other bloodlines!

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure your mother's only brother is/was missed.

MtnHtr

DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an A Bolt and a Weatherby, 4 Remingtons and a Handi Rifle, which are all pretty good, but if had to go to one rifle, would pick any of those rather than A bolt. Not a bad rifle, but not my choice.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm suprised so much disdain just because it's made in Japan....I'd say overall Japan makes better stuff on average than the crap made in the US today. If it's political reasons that's fine. But their manafacturing is way above the US in several areas.

"Made in the USA" doesn't mean jack squat today for quality - it means someone is keeping their job, but doesn't speak anything about quality.

Hang outside the US for very long and you'll see what a laughing stock some of our "exports" are compared to other nations. The only difference in "some" of the stuff the US makes now and the crap they import from Japan is the stuff made in the US has english directions.

I'm not a fan of browning rifles...but not because they are made in Japan. In fact I just bought a Vanguard for a barreled action and it was made in Japan and I'd throw the quality on it up against an out of the box Remington nowdays and come out ahead on average.

Last edited by NathanL; 12/20/08.

Otto is my co-pilot.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back to the original topic of this thread.

I ran a few A-Bolts in the late eighties and early nineties and never suffered a failure other than some rust. I might be wrong here but Browning was the first to offer a production bolt gun with a synthetic stock named the Composite Stalker back in '89. Browning was also the first to offer a stainless production bolt rifle a year later (1990). Those features were important to me but I later switched to others as they started offering syn stocks and SS models.

Miroku firearms is the producer for Browning rifles and shotguns. They build quality shotguns and no doubt could build a decent rifle but Browning's engineers directed them on building the A bolt when they switched from FN (producer of the former Browning BBR) to Miroku.

A Look At Miroku Firearms

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My personal reasons for not liking them is that you have to disengage the safety to unload them. I have 1 rifle that does that, but it's a lever action and made in 1926.grin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John_G
I'm one of the A-Bolt bashers on this site. I owned one for a short time, having purchased it (used) for my son. It was a Hunter model in 7-08. It was kinda pretty and certainly accurate enough, but IMHO it was nothing more than an accurate piece of junk. Inferior metal everywhere, a tremendously over-complicated bolt assembly held together with pins that was just asking for trouble, a magazine (also overcomplicated) that allowed the cartridges to rattle around as you walked through the woods, and more. Fortunately, my son liked it about as much as I did, so I sold it. Never again. Owned a BLR for awhile and got rid of that for similar reasons, too, but that's another story. The shotguns may well be different, but I have no first hand info about them.

John, sounds like you didn't like the gun and have a few reason why, but I guess my question is did you actually ever have any issues come up with the gun while you were using it?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MtnHtr-- Thx for the memory, Miroku made what is to me one of the finest fitting stackguns ever made! As a younger pup I lusted after a Miroku BB gun more than from time to time.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/20/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear people witch and moan about the A-bolt on the web but aside from that I've never heard and or seen an issue with them.

Personally I've never owned one but have several friends who hunt a ton load and hunt them very hard and they've never had any issues. I ask them about them and tell them about the wows on people on the internet about the A-bolt and they just snicker... grin

I could and would hunt one hard if I choose to and I'd never worry about it.

Dober

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.