Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm going to remember to epoxy deal. One of our guys had a case head separation at elk camp one year. I whittled a a piece of wood that would just fit into the case and then screwed a large wood screw into the back of it to expand the wood and grip the case and then popped it out with a cleaning rod. Kind of a home made shell extractor.
Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have never had a case head seperation (knock on wood)
but if it happens once, what are the chances of it happening
again with the safe rifle? Hope this isnt a stupid question.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have never had a case head seperation (knock on wood)
but if it happens once, what are the chances of it happening
again with the safe rifle? Hope this isnt a stupid question.

Case head separation isn't always the fault of the gun. Reloads, where the shoulders are bumped back too far, causing the brass to stretch dangerously thin on repeated firings, or, an occasional out of spec factory round fired in a gun with a little too much gap between the bolt head and the breech are the usual offenders.

If the rifle's headspace is within spec, and the gap between the bolt head and the breech isn't excessive, or, there isn't a huge, bevel at the mouth of the chamber, then you shouldn't have to worry much about it, provided the brass fits the chamber and the loads are within the correct operating pressures of the particular round. If you are concerned, let a reputable gunsmith check it out for you.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Go to a hardware store and buy some of the expander plugs that is used in holes drilled in concrete to put lag bolts in, they have all differant sizes, as well as ones used to hang pictures on walls, put them in from the rear and tighten but don't over tighten, then tap it out with a rod from the muzzle.you can even fit them by cutting them down on a lathe for differant size cartridges, a custom set. grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What an ingenious idea! I had to read through this a couple of times to fully comprehend the principle

If anyone is having trouble following this idea, Look at how a drain plug for a boat works. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Hubert
Go to a hardware store and buy some of the expander plugs that is used in holes drilled in concrete to put lag bolts in, they have all differant sizes, as well as ones used to hang pictures on walls, put them in from the rear and tighten but don't over tighten, then tap it out with a rod from the muzzle.you can even fit them by cutting them down on a lathe for differant size cartridges, a custom set. grin

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely plan to make up a kit for my shooting box and be prepared for the next time. As I mentioned in the first post, after the separation occurred, I left the gun at a gun shop to be fixed. But, I was wondering what else I could have done myself in order to get the gun back into the woods. Thanks to all for some great ideas!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.