Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW! that is stunning to say the least. That's a rifle I could keep for a lifetime and never grow tired of. Amazing work and your ability to see it's potential should also be commended.

Thanks for sharing!

Terry

GB1

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
The barrels are soldered and pinned (if you look carefully underneath each flat edge of the block, you'll see a blind pin) so the pins are drilled/extracted and then the barrel removed. I chose to just replace the barrel as the factory one has a bit of a funky taper to it... straight taper for a foot or so and then no taper from then on out. After the new barrel is soldered, the blind pin holes are redrilled (enlarged just a bit) and new pins secured. I went ahead and fitted #8 screws through both block and barrel when mounting the rib for a couple more nails in the coffin.

Terry,

I've been lurking on this forum long enough to get a sense of certain people's taste and overall devotion to rifle looniness... your comment has made my day.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Again, a most excellent job! I really like the way you fashioned the quarter rib and attached the scope. I have a couple of Lyman Alaskans that would work very nicely on mine, if I had proper mounts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow !! I'm impressed !!
Nice work - very classy smile

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm jealous -- both of your skills and of the results. Tip of the hat, for sure. Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice job Ian. Enjoy.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'd like to thank Big Redhead for bumping this. I am quite covetous.

Rick
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Just found this thread.

That's some outrageously fine taste and craftsmanship you've demonstrated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Way cool.....you're a true craftsman.

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
OldSlowDog, Bristoe, rbmsmjr, Big Redhead, Dutch, Blacktail53, and others,

Thank you very much for all the kind words; they've given me a new pride of ownership for this little rifle and enthusiasm to start another project.

I just recently picked up another of these 110 rifles for next to nothing since this time it was just a barreled action for some reason. I tried the new barrel against my breach and was happy to discover that it locks up just as tight. Then I checked the scrap pile and rescued a nice, straight-grained, 24" long stick that was cut off the same blank.

So my question to the group is, should I use this extra barreled action (I guess just the monoblock, and throw away the rest) to make a second, switch barrel? I could experiment with makng a full-length forearm... mabey a carbine length in .357 Maximum? Or should a just make a whole new rifle in some other caliber?

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Since you're obviously capable of doing it, and you have what's necessary to do so, make another rifle. In addition to being something to take pride in and enjoy, rifles like you're building are "money in the bank".

I like your choice of the .357 Maximum chambering, also. I shot a 10" .357 Max Contender in IHMSA for quite some time. It's as easy to load as a .38 special and generates near the energy of a .35 Remington.

They perform very well with cast bullets, also,..if that's one of your interests.

M
M
Greetings. My 1st post here. Beautiful work, Ian. I recently purchased a 110 in 222 Rem. This one here: url: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118553679
I probably paid too much, but I really like it. The butt stock is loose, and I can't see what kind of fitting is waaay down in there. Is it a metric allen, or nut? My old eyes just can't see it. Are there any schematics available for this rifle? Thanks in advance, and thanks Ian for sharing your project.
Steve

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ian, that's superb work!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Ian (VA)
So my question to the group is, should I use this extra barreled action (I guess just the monoblock, and throw away the rest) to make a second, switch barrel? I could experiment with makng a full-length forearm... mabey a carbine length in .357 Maximum? Or should a just make a whole new rifle in some other caliber?

I have a thing for switch-barrel guns and break-open actions, having a couple different barrel sets for the BRNO ZH3XX series, which I guess is a bigger sibling to the 110. So with that disclaimer, my choice would be a second barrel for the existing receiver and keep the second one as a spare. You could make up a nice fitted case for both. That stock deserves it.

With regards to the caliber/cartridge: The .357 maximum sounds like a nifty modern riff on the old Rook Rifle concept. And from what my friends with .357 Magnum rifles say, it should be a barn-burner coming from a longer pipe.

On the other hand, I have daydreams about something like this chambered in .30-40 Krag or 7x65R. That may have too much overlap with the .25-35, however....

I'll keep my eyes open to see where you go with this.

Rick

Rick
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
VA - thanks. We'll see if it makes meat soon... I've got an appetite for some late season hasenpfeffer.

MMPsteve - Yours looks much better than the one I started with. The metal on mine looked like it had been blasted with something very coarse and parkerized. They must have made a tarted-up version by the look of yours with its better (and checkered) stock, etc. Besides the ubiquitous plastic butt plate, you have to like the fact that the only two ingredients in these little guys are walnut and steel. As far as the draw bolt, I remember the tennon being an M5, but the head is a 1/2" hex. Slip the socket on your 12" extension and you�re in business. Hope this helps,

Ian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ian (VA),

I have seen this thread last year and was awed into silence.

Been back a couple times to look at the pictures. Great work.

May I ask how the story continued?

Best wishes,

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You definately turned a sow's ear into a silk purse. Fantastic job!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hardly ever look in this forum but some nice old man told me I should look at this, so I did. I'm really glad I got to see these pictures, and congratulate you on your abilities. Nicely done!

Oh yeah, the nice old man was jimmyd223. laugh

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Jeez, guys, thanks! As an update, I can say that I have successfully stalked a couple pieces of paper so far with this rifle. Here are a couple of 5-shot groups at 50 yds (it's a stalking rifle, don't you know) with a load of 4198 and 90gr. Sierra BTHP's:

[Linked Image]

Also, I was given the rifle I had been trying to replicate as a surprise gift by my family, a genuine Blaser K95! Here they are together:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ian,

Thank you for the update. Congratiolations on so thoughtfull a family.

I do hope you also like the Blaser. wink

Please take the comment in the compassionate feeling it is offered - I think, just from the pictures - were it me, I would reach for the 'Poor Man's K95' with monotous regularity. That I say, thinking highly of the Baronesse.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.