Campfire Oracle
S
I prefer the balcony seats

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
The Made In Japan thing I just don't get.

The "Made in Japan" thing doesn't hold much water for me either. Most of what we consumers use and drive comes from off-shore. Take a walk Thu Wal-Mart some day and check the "Made in" places there. Why not our rifles too?

Saying that, I've personally seen the bedding pop out of two new synthetic stocked A-Bolts and hate that mongo magazine system they went to.

For the average shooter who hunts a bit every yr, they probably work alright. I have a sporter in 22/250 that has been the most consistent rifle I've ever owned. It has lasted longer than almost every other gun in my cabinet and avoided sale because of its everyday accuracy. It fits me well and a 2x7 works perfectly on it. If it didn't shoot so well, I would have sold it yrs ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Browning A-bolt stalker 30-06, sub MOA with Winchester factory ammo, rivaling my Tikka 30-06 accuracy. My Browning has been reliable, no issues what so ever. I also have a B92 Centennial and a BLR 7mag. All are accurate, no problems at all.
Used to have a Citori, didn't fit me well, but it worked well. Traded it for an SKB. Had a BAR 7mag some time time ago. Super accurate for an auto, and NEVER a hiccup or malfunction. Point being, gee, I must have just lucked out....

Last edited by bearmgc; 12/28/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bearmgc- do you like the feel of the Browning better than the Tikka? Try as I might I cannot warm up to they way a Tikka feels. Wish I could.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[quote=Sitka deer]The model is responsible for more personally-witnessed in-field failures than ALL other models of rifles combined. Yet only a small fraction of my rifle experiences afield include A-Bolts.

Usually the trigger groups rust to a fixed mode and refuse to fire. Often they do it in just a day or two.[/quote

WTF are you saying. More mumbo jumbo from the ABolt Haters Club.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The question may have been more comfortable if it had been posed as "Why is the Browning A-Bolt Liked."

(At least then, nobody would have answered.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Having been on here for several years now I know that the collective force here are not enamored with The Browning A-Bolt.

Why is that???

I know no specifics other than they seem to shoot well from those who own them!

I've owned a few. They have been dependable and accurate rifles. They have killed well over a hundred critters for me, so I got no complaints. grin

JM.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The only one I have any experience with is a buddies that I constantly work on ( his fault not Brownings) and load for. As Ive never carried it in the field the only real gripe I have is that the chamber is ultra tight and it doesnt always chamber my necksized loads.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my buddy has an older one in 300 win mag he has used for ,deer,elk,moose,grizzly,dall sheep,he loves it had it for years.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't dislike the Browning A-bort. Dislike is an active emotion and I don't have any desire to but any energy towards it.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
You put dozens and dozens of posts towards it.... doesn't that count as energy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was told that nobody should have an opinion on something without having actually used it, and on more than one occasion.

Hmmmm... now where did I read that? smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
[quote=Sitka deer]The model is responsible for more personally-witnessed in-field failures than ALL other models of rifles combined. Yet only a small fraction of my rifle experiences afield include A-Bolts.

Usually the trigger groups rust to a fixed mode and refuse to fire. Often they do it in just a day or two.[/quote

WTF are you saying. More mumbo jumbo from the ABolt Haters Club.

The A Bort makes the grade as a varmint rifle, IMO. The Abort 243 WSSM won't win the Wimbleton Cup., despite being favorably twisted;

The only saving grace is its 22 Hornet Micro Medallion...shoots very well. More the tube than anything else, really.

I'd not throw Art under the player hating club......

He's prolly seen more fail in the field than you've used; just a WAG on my part, but will hedge my bets....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope, Public Service

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
All I can say is enough thought they sucked enough in '08 to let it die then.......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I'm more selective on how I spend my money....A bolts are way overpriced for me...I'd buy or reccomend a Tikka/Sako or even something from Savage in a bolt gun...Marlin in a lever gun...

Now that is funny recommending a Tikka over an Abolt and what SAko are you talking about...certainly not the 85 which sells in the 1200+ range or higher. I made the Tikka mistake one time and one time only. I have never ever had a single problem with a Browning shotgun or rifle with the exception of a B2000 which was a POS design. Ask me how many Remingtons including custom shop, Winchesters and Rugers went back to the factory or a gunsmith for work.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by wvhunter
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

Yup and they could learn a thing or two about steel.They've never been known for producing good steel.

I think they had a pretty good thing going for their sword steel, but other than that, they weren't much to write about.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i got one when the short mags came out in 270 wsm it shoots good but i dont like the stocks or the clips or u have to put it on fire to uload it but its lite and powerful package

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The triggers and clips are the pits , the 60 degree bolt is a nice feature , but nobody has copied it for some reason !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Not trying to change anyones mind, but a couple of the criticisms I don't quite get.

Triggers are the first one - I run a Miroku M-bolt (Eurobolt action, released under the Miroku name for a few years) and the trigger is sweeeet. And I've had time behind some good triggers to compare it to, including a 54 action Anschutz. Maybe you guys get the lawyerproof version?

Second - that the safety locks the bolt and has to be in the fire position to unload. I don't see the problem. It's a detachable mag, why would you run the rounds through the action to unload? If I'm unloading a chambered round, is takes about a 1/5th of a second between flicking off the safety and raising the bolt handle. That's 1/5th of a second where the rifle is tightly controlled and of course pointed in a safe direction, with the finger outside the trigger guard.

That I can't unload it on safety doesn't exactly keep me up nights.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.