Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking at Dakota 97 or 76, Cooper 52 Excalibur and Weatherby sub moa in .270. Does any one have experience with real life shooting with these guns? They all boast exceptional accuracy but I would like to hear from those with first hand experience. I want to shoot 140 Accubonds.

I am aware of the obvious and significant price differences but I will pay for quality in a gun if it can be justified. I like the actions on all 3. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 those kinds of money I'd most likely build...

As for the Sub Moa I'd just buy the regular Vanguard as I really don't feel it can be beat.

Good luck in your decision.

Dober

Oh and welcome to the Fire! grin

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/02/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Man-0-man, what a problem! Wish I had a problem like that. I would say, pick the one that you think that has the best wood and looks the nicest! I don't think there is a wrong choice in that bunch. Happy Hunting --- both for the rifle choice and then the game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yea welcome to the fire!!! Remember I told ya.... Remington 700

BTW our buddy saw a 6 & 8 yesterday afternoon and passed on the 8. said it was just inside the ears. I'm gonna post your pic on the Hunters campfire big bucks thread!!

Sam aka 163bc

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks. I have a custom .300 jarrett that shoots lights out. I only use it on western hunts though. I have found Dakotas for $3500 but Coopers are all at list around $1800 and of course the Vanguards for $900. For the money the WB is the logical choice. But if my gun buying was logical what fun would that be?

Montani Semper Liberi

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks. I always buy synthetic and stainless. I hunt with my rifles and the safe queens are shotguns.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You know how I feel about 700's. Great guns but I prefer other action types. leaving soon to get jawbones and hunt. call me. thanks for the welcome.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can't help myself. I'm a Rem 700 slut always have been and always will be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to the forum blackdogsrule. We hope that you enjoy yourself here.

The Dakota seems to be a M70 custom at a higher price. Get very specific as to what your getting from the exact Dakota that you may buy.

The Coopers are not favored by some here due to their presidents backing of a political who is anti gun.

I don't favor any Weatherby and in particular the Vanguard action or its origin.

Dakota 76

[Linked Image]

To add: To be frank for the money I would rather have this old M70 that was just sold on GA for $995!

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Might wanna take a look at Sako's too. I almost bought an 85 Grey Wolf recently. But, I am a Weatherby man tried & true.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have two Model 76 Dakotas.I bought them both used.I had what I thought was an accuracy problem with the 30-06.I called them up and they said send it in.So I did.They put a new barrel on it and refinished the Rifle back to new condition.Did not cost me anything ,but the shipping charge to them.By the way both rifles shoot .5 groups as a matter of fact with almost anything you feed them.They are not super light ,but are so well balanced that you dont notice that fact.They are everything a Mo.70 should be!!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coopers no longer count they are built by an igoit.

NRA Lifetime Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have played around with a Cooper 52 & did not like it, the stock did not fit me very well and the action was really rough. The stocks on Weatherby's don't fit me at all. I own a used Dakota 76 in 7 Rem Mag that I bought used for $2,000 that I think was worth the money. If I could find a 375 H&H in the mid $3,000 range I'd buy it. I have several wood stock custom rifles that might bring 1/2 of what I have in them. A used Dakota in the $2-3 range can be resold with no loss.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you're looking for stainless, I believe they are still working on the final run of 97's.

I have a 97, and Model 70, both in .270, both in left hand.

The weight difference between the 2 is noticable as the 97 is a round body like the Rem 700 and has the separate recoil lug.

All other components are the same as a Model 70/76.

I am happy with mine, both in accuracy, and fit/finish.

Curly

Last edited by CURLY; 01/02/09.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Welcome to the forum blackdogsrule. We hope that you enjoy yourself here.

The Dakota seems to be a M70 custom at a higher price. Get very specific as to what your getting from the exact Dakota that you may buy.

The Coopers are not favored by some here due to their presidents backing of a political who is anti gun.

I don't favor any Weatherby and in particular the Vanguard action or its origin.

Dakota 76

[Linked Image]

To add: To be frank for the money I would rather have this old M70 that was just sold on GA for $995!

[Linked Image]

Wow! Really nice case-hardening on the receiver and rings.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have shot all three rifles and for the money the Vanguard Sub-MOA is hard to beat.

Here I will disagree with my friend Dober. While just about any Weatherby Vanguard will shoot pretty well, some shoot better than others. The Sub-MOA's are selected during the shooting process that EVERY Weatherby goes through before they get shipped. Any rifle that shoots noticeably better than average is then put into a Sub-MOA stock (pillar-bedded) which is different than the standard Vanguard stocks. I have a Sub-MOA in .300 Weatherby that shoots extremely well: factory loads from an inch on down to about a half-inch, and the right handloads go into less than 1/2 inch.

The only thing I didn't like about my Sub-MOA was the trigger, so I replaced it with a Timney. The new Vanguards supposedly have an improved trigger, but I haven't tried one yet. I will also note that even some of the older triggers were quite good, but some weren't so hot, even after adjusting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The reason a lot of people are boycotting Cooper is because Mr. Cooper gave several thousand dollars to Barak Obama, who is on record as voting to outlaw guns and ammunition.

Me, I will probably never buy another hunting rifle from anyone, except maybe a pre-64 in .375 H&H, or that neat .375 Ruger, or one of those slick Vanguards in .257 Wby, or a .470 double from Searcy if I could afford it, or, or...

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies. I like the WB action-have an ultra light in .270. It shoots great but I dont shoot it well sometimes under pressure-maybe the weight. I am over the election thank God so Cooper is an option. I really like the Dakota ation but would like to hear from some that have shot the 76 and 97 in .270. Is it a "true" sub moa round? For the money it should give my Jarrett some real competition.

I have a 1948 model 70 that I have never shot. I'm going to put a scope on it and give it a try soon. Who knows? It may be a tack driver.

I have never shot a Sako but I am sure they are as advertised. There are just a lot of good American guns to try first.

Montani Semper Liberi

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
blackdogs: I have owned two Dakota's; a 30/06 wood/blue,and my present one which is chambered in 7mmDakota(just "because" smile.I have also owned a slew of custom rifles by various makers and can say that the Dakota "build"was like falling off a log.

I said "do this",and they did it.The rifle functions and shoots beautifully.It "feels" more like a pre 64 M70 than anything else I've tried to date.

It puts 150 Swift S'2s and 140 AB's into tiny groups.Some days I'm a 1/2 MOA shooter,and some days I'm not,but the rifle has shot enough groups of that size that I'm convinced it will outshoot me.The 30/06 was owned back when the 76 first came out.It was very accurate,functioned flawlessly, and I regret selling it.

If I did not have several 270's already,wanted to build one, and was willing to spend the money,a Dakota 76 would top my list out of stuff made today.I would use a Kreiger #1 contour finished at 22-23".I have one of those on a M70 action and it's a very accurate barrel for something as light as it is.

Can't help with the Cooper or the Sub MOA as I have owned neither one.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/03/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is a free country,which makes it great,but I can't help but wonder about how anyone could be so philosophically inconsistent as to be pro Second Amendment(as in gun manufacturer),and then donate to a candidate who considers the Constitution to be out dated and fundamentally "flawed"......anyone who can't see where Obama wants to steer this country is operating with blinders.I'm stunned.

Sorry to hijack;could not resist commenting.If I was thinking about a Cooper rifle, I'm not anymore.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.