-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No not really, that's why I said that I would get flack over the way I do them. I think that the double sided bevel is far more common.

If you take a look at the link for the head knife, if you were to cut off the handle tang and replace it with the same style handle as you show on your Ulu, I would bet a head knife would be 100% acceptable to the vast majority of women.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The women out in these parts all have varying favorites when it comes to their uluaqs - that's the Yup'ik word...get the second/third syllable deep in your throat if you want to say it right..white man say "luck" out in the front of the mouth.

As for the bevel, yes, they are correctly beveled - the fish cutting ones anyway- on one side. Same deal with skinning/scraping oil from seal skins. (If you want to know an irate woman, do her the "favor" of sharpening her favorite blade on both sides!) The bevel side does go down when skinning or filetting. It's actually preety easy to figure out once you try it. Deadly sharp is great for cutting the fish skin when making strips, etc; not necessary for heading and general skin scraping.

Many folks have several favorite blades; one for salmon (in general),another for kings only, one for herring, one for kitchen, maybe another for seals, etc.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The women out in these parts all have varying favorites when it comes to their uluaqs - that's the Yup'ik word...get the second/third syllable deep in your throat if you want to say it right..

Ah, yes. The old glottal stop! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys: A common theme through here.... It seems the women are the only ones allowed to handle blades up there. It's starting to sound like I should give the knives to my wife and simply stick to the shooting... Take care and happy new year, 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Guys: A common theme through here.... It seems the women are the only ones allowed to handle blades up there. It's starting to sound like I should give the knives to my wife and simply stick to the shooting... Take care and happy new year, 1Minute

grin

No not really. It's just that in traditional native culture the women take on the traditional chores of subsistence living one of which is the butchering and putting away of fish and game so they're the ones making the most use of them. They prefer to use the ulus for these tasks over modern cutlery.

Most native women meet the qualifications for the outdoorsman's personal ad "must be able to clean and cook fish and game".

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Guys: A common theme through here.... It seems the women are the only ones allowed to handle blades up there....

There are plenty of stories told by the young to middle aged men about how they learned not to bring back more than one seal at a time. In fact, I just listened to such a tale the other night. Young lads don't generally make the mistake twice of staying up late cutting that which they had ass-umed would be taken care of by "the traditional cutter-upper". grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I checked on this and found the contrary to be the case (as I knew it would). All I have ever seen is happy faces by women with lots of seals. They get happy because they "share". Feeding the old and sick among them, and all the neighbors is a tradition that has been with these people since time immemorial.

I have in one trip brought back one black bear, one moose, and 11 caribou, to a bunch of happy faces. After all the cutting, the CB and the VHF radios were going strong for the come and get it calls. For a hunter, this is heaven.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You miss the point. Very few are the women these days who will happily cut up whatever an enthusiastic young hunter brings back. Many are the mothers, aunts, and grandmothers who tire of "sonny-boy" bringing home boatloads of seals, etc thinking that his work is finished. "There, I showed you," is not an uncommon farewell as the woman leaves the young lad on the beach with the rest of his "catch" minus one after he brings in a "few extra" one more time. Even beluga hunters do their own cutting. Plenty of people share, of course, but the hunters cut and distribute to the comers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.