Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking to enlist one of the commercially available tag applications services to help me apply for tags in desirable hunting areas. Does anyone have any experience with either the U.S. Outfitters or Cabela's TAGS services? Pros and/or cons of either? Obviously the U.S. Outfitters� service is more restrictive since one has to use one of their guides if successfully drawn- anything else that I need to know about?

Thanks,

KW

Last edited by Woodhits; 12/29/08.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are planning on applying for anything in AZ. Call Duwane Adams! Can't help you in any of the other states, but here in AZ, call Duwane. He'll take good care of you and steer you the right way.

I heard Cabelas TAG service screwed a bunch of hunters or potential hunters out of the AZ draw, then tryied to get AZGFD to allow them into the draw after the deadline had expired and screw the people who got theirs in on time. I don't know the whole story, but thats what I heard. Besides that, they are a decent system as far I know.

USO had that big law suit against western states, and I am sure that cost a pretty sum to the states. No use for them, but thats me. I met the owner of USO in the border town of Naco one year. Seemed like a nice man. We just have differences in state rights and business decisions. Can't fault the man. I have heard good things about their service too.

In any event, I am sure they are great for other states, but if I was looking in AZ i'd call Duwane.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There are a few application services. Some specialize in certain species and states. Garth Carter- Huntin Fool is another you might look into. If I was interested in a service I might want to go with a smaller service that was more personal like Larry Altimus' Hunter Application Service(H.A.S.) Sorry for clouding the situation more! I would stay away from U.S.O. just for the fact that you have to use them. Which might not always be the best choice.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would second garth carter of the HUNTINFOOL, small enuff operation that they will always answer your calls. i do all my app's myself, but if i didnt, i'd use carters over cabela's (missed the arizona deadline last year)or uso, (which arent really popular folks out west anymore).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is too important of a process in my life to entrust to another individual.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info guys.

1Minute, I appreciate your position but even an unreliable service would have a better record of getting the applications in than I do. My work/travel schedule is at its heaviest at the time of year when applications are due- keeping up with them is pretty tough on the road.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 on what Enrique said. I wouldn't touch Cabelas TAGS or USO with a ten foot pole.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Thanks for the info guys.

1Minute, I appreciate your position but even an unreliable service would have a better record of getting the applications in than I do. My work/travel schedule is at its heaviest at the time of year when applications are due- keeping up with them is pretty tough on the road.
I'll do it for you for $1000! wink Seriously... laugh

Once one gets the hang of it, it's really not that hard. I have a spreadsheet of when, what's due, where. Plus, if you it online they save your information, so it all reality once you get set up it takes about 3 hours a month!

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
pointer:

How do you know what units to put in for? I have thought about using a service also because I don't have a good idea what is the best state or unit.

Scott

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by SWJ
pointer:

How do you know what units to put in for? I have thought about using a service also because I don't have a good idea what is the best state or unit.

Scott

subscribe to Huntin' Fool (Gart Carter), mentioned above.

they've gotten much bigger over the years but still have very good info by state. well worth the $100/year

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picking a unit takes a bit of work, but once you have it down your done. First, YOU have to define best. Some states and species I'm much more interested in just getting to go than I am getting to hunt in a 'trophy' unit. Carter's Huntin Fool is a good place to start, especially if your focus is on trophy units. Otherwise, pay attention to hunting message boards and ask questions. You'd be surprised at the info you can glean from these boards.

Does that help?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've used Larry Altimus of HAS for many years, and highly recommend him. I also subscribe to Huntin' Fool. Consider that many other hunters also do, and thus their highly rated units will generally attract lots of applicants, resulting in lower draw odds. If you want to play it safe and go for highly rated units, then Huntin' Fool is a good way to go. If you're looking for the "dark horse", then using someone like Larry is a better choice. The older I get (53 now), the more I am thinking that applying for the very best units might not be the wisest approach...I may be dead or too old to use the tags if and when drawn. That's something only you can decide: would you rather have (maybe) one lifetime hunt in a state like AZ, UT, or NV for a trophy, or perhaps two or three hunts in lesser units?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The upside of applying for a trophy unit. Is you never know when you will draw a tag. I drew a Kaibab late season hunt on my first try. I was 15. I have put in numerous times since and have yet to draw again.
If you are growing in age and still getting snuffed on the tag. Then you always have the option of applying those points to a lesser unit and draw a lesser unit with above average to trophy size game.
So you apply for the best for 5 or 10 years. Decide you are tired of not drawing and then baMmm! you say well its not the late Kaibab or AZ strip, but I can still kill a above average buck on the early Kaibab hunt. Why not? You apply and draw then kill a buck better than you hoped for.

Thats my view.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sure, any info helps! I like to hunt not just kill trophies for the wall. I agree "best" and "trophy" are in the eye of the beholder. A good hunt where I learn something, work hard and have a fun time is as important as the size of the animal. But, I would be the first to shot a great animal if the chance was there. Also, being from the midwest, I would like a chance at a good animal because I can't or won't likely go back to the exact same place the next year out west. I will likely try for a few years to draw some great tags until I get sick of not getting drawn and then for some good tags.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"I will likely try for a few years to draw some great tags until I get sick of not getting drawn and then for some good tags."

Remember that most great tags will take many years to draw: more than 10 in many instances. Take Nevada's unit 161 early elk. In 2007 there were 2188 non-resident applicants for one tag.

Just remember that however bad the odds are, they're better than if you don't apply. Give yourself a good five to ten years, apply in multiple states, and your odds of getting a great tag will become significant.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob:

I'm 39 and willing to give it 5-7 yrs before using points on plan B. However, I doubt I would ever apply for a 1/2188 chance tag.

Scott

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
SWJ: "the rest of the story" on the NV tag was that a hunter drew the 1 in 2188 tag the first year he applied. Many applicants had points in the high teens and didn't. Go figure.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Huntin fool has alot of great info. I use cabelas TAGS and have never had a problem. Eric is great to work with. I would not hesitated to use them.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob33: I am much more persistent than lucky! That's why I would target something with a 5% chance of a draw.

Scott

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I know what your saying about work and travel schedules. I don't use anyone and probably should. My long time hunting partner used US for many years and did fine, some years well, some just OK. He then switched to Cabela's and has had two good hunts in a row. While either will probably help I would go Cabelas. A friend of mine who got his NM guide license just to handle the land owner tags his Dad gets every year said he got a call from US who wanted to hire him for the next season on the spot, no qualifications or background check of any kind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
168 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.