Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All,
Does anyone have any suggestions/experience on an outfitter for a trophy mule deer hunt? Maybe even with the potential to add an antelope as a combo, but not mandatory.

Thank you in advance.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What's your price range?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pretty flexible. Quality animals is the key. There are for sure 3 of us (potentially up to 6) and we would prefer to pay more knowing that the area holds some true trophy animals. I am not saying we looking for canned hunts for booners, but I don't want to spend a fortune walking around an area that has nothing but immature deer either.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Comanche Wilderness Outfitters Inc. - Scott Limmer
PO Box 236, Livermore, CO 80536
Phone: 970-223-5330
Email: hunt_coloradoyahoo.com

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of trophy qualities are you wanting?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would love to say a 30" muley, but we are also realistic. We understand that it is impossible to guarantee 200" animals, but we would love opportunities at dandies.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For absolute top end trophies, and probably $$$ to match, Sonora, MX and Alberta cannot be beaten. These are areas where tags are guaranteed. As is usual, do your homework (I can help you with MX if that's what you decide). Landowner tags are possible on the E Plains of Colorado, especially so with bow and muzzleloader and some gaggers are killed there every year, as with W. Kansas (draw only now). Colorado has put more trophies in B&C by far than anywhere, and big bucks are found throughout the state. The really tough to draw areas like limited entry Utah, Nevada, the AZ strip and Kaibab have very big bucks but tags extremely hard to get. E Montana has respectable bucks and (165"-175") is reasonable expectation, with expensive guaranteed tags and high success. I would highly recommend doing your homework and looking into Sonora. Huge bucks are there (and still rare regardless of what you read), and the Sonoran experience is like none other. I've been twice and really want to go back. Hopefully this helps a little, and I'll be happy to try and answer anything I can. If I don't know I'll tell you the truth.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the feedback JG.
I did some searching about Sonora and Alberta. I will have to dig a little deeper.

We hunt Colorado Elk every other year and I know that certain areas especially the south west had a huge winter kill last year and I heard they are getting pounded again. That doesn't mean anything for the eastern part of the state though.

Once again I appreciate the feedback and keep it coming if any other useful info comes to mind. I will keep you informed as we start to lean one way or the other.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I priced some Eastern CO mule deer hunts and they ran $7 - $10K. The Kiowa Creek ranches (10K) have deer in the 180 to 200 class according to one of their guides. Heck for a little more you could go to Africa.

Last edited by Prwlr; 01/08/09.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Check out Three Forks Ranch and Piney Valley Ranch in Colorado.

Both have the kind of bucks you're looking for. Bring your wallet, and somebody else's money, too.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A trophy hunt 2-3 years ago may be this years bust. I would recommend several sources. A good booking agent like Ray Atkinson that posts here. Ray will know the current hot spots. I wouldn't thing about booking an expensive hunt with out hunting reports from SCI & The Hunting Report. These are written by actual hunters. I have submitted quite a few. You can request individual states/Providences or a package of reports on Mulies . I would also suggest you talk to Doug Luger the Manager of Trophy Records at SCI. Doug's ph. is 520-620-1220 ext.265 & he can advise where the best mulie trophies are being taken. Plan on 7-12K for a top mulie trophy hunt. I was offered to be put on a waiting list in Utah(I believe) by an outfitter this past year where 30-36" mulies were supposodly being taken. Hunt was "only" 15K with a kicker if above a certain B&C score. I passed since I can hunt lots of animals in Africa for less. Good hunting.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If the parameter is hitting the magical 200" mark (or even close) than my choice would be Sonora also. Thirty inch mule deer are there and you will see them. I suggest Arrow 5 Outfitters as they are having an amazing season (they are hunting now) and have taken several bucks over 30" this year. I would also suggest adding Coues deer to any Sonora trip - those litte deer are quite the challenge. Check out Arrow 5 @ http://www.arrowfiveoutfitters.com/html/mexico.htm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am spoiled by Sonora. Having guided down there, and seeing all the monster bucks I seen, I still dream of the hunts.
On two opening days, one with rickbin, we seen 3 good 30" plus bucks and rick took a 31 incher that day. The second opening day I was with akjeff. We musta seen 4 bucks over 30 and a couple in the high 20's(27 to 30).
For sure Sonora has the big bucks. Do the research tho. You got some screw jobs down there. If they talk big talk and make it sound sweet, ask for references and check up on them. Don't drop money till you do that. Like mentioned above, add a coues deer. The desert flats hold those big NT and typical bucks that are scoring high in the books. You may see one you may not, but at least if you do you got that chance to kill one. The realistic chacne of a 30 incher or 180/190 plus is there.

Then again alberta has some toads! Look into there.

Those are the two realistic place to find what you are looking for and be successful. You may find a few places here in the US, but to me nothing beats Sonora.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
There are for sure 3 of us (potentially up to 6)

I feel for you Cacciatore, trying to get a group to agree on an area, price, and outfitter, not even knowing the size of group.

That is the reason I just go alone to wherever I really want to hunt. Now that I have gotten "old" there is not enough seasons left to persuade others to go where I want to go.

I got a decent mulie hunting in Alberta with Ameri-Cana Expeditions

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone.....keep 'em coming.

Thanks StrayDog, but our deal is this. I pick the hunt I want to go on. Two of the guys (my buddy and my Dad) said they trusted me doing my research and were in on whatever I select. They know I wouldn't pick a half baked hunt and spend my or their money on "marginal". The other 3 guys said that once I picked the location, type, and cost, they would let me know before I book. I told them that there may not be enough spots where I pick without their up front committment. They agreed that it's tough luck for them and if they snooze, they lose.

It is a bit stressful knowing that if it doesn't go as well as the expectations, I will hear about it for a long damn time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I priced some Eastern CO mule deer hunts and they ran $7 - $10K. The Kiowa Creek ranches (10K) have deer in the 180 to 200 class according to one of their guides. Heck for a little more you could go to Africa.

I almost booked a hunt out there this past year. I found muzzleloader/bow hunts in Oct for app $4000, and late rifle hunts for $6000. Fully guided, no frills, no fancy lodging, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cacciatore-perhaps I missed it but what kind of budget are you talking about for the hunt only (not the travel and such).

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You could save a large chunk of cash and have a significantly more rewarding time by just forgetting about the outfitter. You could do some research, invest in some decent gear, and do it on your own on public land in places that have tags that are not so tough to draw, and bucks that would make almost any hunter happy. By choosing that route, you could do 2 or 3 hunts in the next 3 or 4 years for the price of one outfitted hunt. Just something to consider.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
invest in some decent gear,

For openers, a gas thirsty 4x4 pickup ain't exactly cheap.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.