Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The big advantage of the "smaller bolt face" is not being able to rebarrel any '06-size action, but 5 rounds in the magazine versus 3. This mayb not seem like a big deal, but sometimes it can make a difference.

If we only used factory loads in the 9.3x62 and .375 Ruger, then pressure would indeed be different. If we're handloading, then we can make pressure anything we want to.

I have owned both 9.3x62's and .375 Rugers of the same approximate weight. If somebody says they can't tell any difference in the recoil between the two, even with both loading to top practical velocities, then either that person is extremely insensitive to practical physics, or one of those who likes to not-so-subtly brag about how tough they are.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have owned both 9.3x62's and .375 Rugers of the same approximate weight. If somebody says they can't tell any difference in the recoil between the two, even with both loading to top practical velocities, then either that person is extremely insensitive to practical physics, or one of those who likes to not-so-subtly brag about how tough they are.

Heck, my Ruger M77 Magnum in .375 H&H weighs about 10.5 pounds (with scope) and to me it has more FELT recoil than my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 that weighs about 8.5 pounds (with scope). Can't really explain it... Maybe stock shape, pad differences... who knows... But I much prefer to shoot my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 compared to my Ruger M77 Magnum in .375 H&H.

My .375 H&H handload is a 300 gr bullet at about 2480 fps.
My 9.3x62 handload is a 286 gr bullet at about 2400 fps.

That doesn't seem like much of a difference but my shoulder can sure feel the difference between the two rifles. That's one of the reasons I've become such a fan of the 9.3x62 cartridge.

Just my ramblings and my two cents worth.... Your mileage may vary.
Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How does all this differ from the .375 Ruger? Don't get me wrong,I like the 9.3's,have two of them,but the Ruger does seem to fill the same pair of shoes....??

Thats right - just the 9,3s walked in them for decades.

Here the dimensions behind:

Case Cap in grains water:

9,3x62 78
9,3x64 88
.375 Ruger 99

Here are some cartridges in bear camp.

[Linked Image]

left to right,

450 Alaska, 375 Ruger, 45-70 (2x), 9,3x64

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Personally I see no comparison with the 9.3x62 to the .375 Ruger. Both are excellent, but in equal weights he 375 Rugers recoil is considerably more, the cross section of bullet is larger and that counts in my books for stopping power. The 375 is a more powerful caliber, end of story.

Bottom line is take your pick and whichever one you opt for is a good choice. The extra rounds in the magazine as Muledeer suggests is a good option for any DGR caliber, that is why I opt of drop magazines..

I built a walk about DGR Mauser with a drop magazine recently, it was a 9.3x62 and you could load it on Sunday and shoot till the following saturday..It weighed 8.5 lbs. and was trim and slim, and had a Williams Guide rear peep.. I built it specifically to hunt Cape Buffalo as I could carry it all day on long treks in high heat, and it had suffiecient power for the bulls and extra rounds in the box...I loved that gun but alas it never made that slated trip with me as it sold shortly after I built it to a gent that really liked the idea..I might build another but in a manlicher with a short tube. One could do about the same thing with a Ruger 375 however, so take your pick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the cross section of bullet is larger

[Linked Image]

relevant - probably not. No animal will know the difference.

375 Rugers recoil is considerably more

as a result of the higher velocity - +1

so in my book - .375 H&H or Ruger stretch the range a bit over 9,3x62 but I lack means to quantify any advantage in killing, given similar range and shot placement.

And just to think, I did not want to get drawn into just this dicussion. laugh

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muledeer

(I have owned both 9.3x62's and .375 Rugers of the same approximate weight. If somebody says they can't tell any difference in the recoil between the two, even with both loading to top practical velocities, then either that person is extremely insensitive to practical physics, or one of those who likes to not-so-subtly brag about how tough they are.)
It may just be I've shooting big bores a while and not sensitive to recoil because I was taught how to to shoot a big bore proper...That was not the statement I made,I brought up a comparsion between the two rounds.As I said,I already own two 9.3's and shoot them alot,as of this week I'm waiting on my new bullet mold.I'm not sure mag/capacity matters when some of the world hunts with single shots,as you have done yourself??? What's your point?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by rifle
Muledeer

What's your point?

Whatever it was, I think you missed it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose you did? I ask a question and get shin-kicked ??? WTF?
I must have stepped on some Holy Ground?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rifle,

I have been shooting big bores for a while myself. Don't know exactly what "shoot a big bore proper" means, but I have managed to hit what I've aimed at with various .375's-.470's etc. I also don't know what being "taught" how to shoot a big bore means, as I just worked my way up over the years, and learned on my own how to hold them reasonably firmly, whether offhand or shooting off the bench. Did read some stuff by Elmer Keith that helped.

I shoot a lot of different rifles in order to find out what they are like. Consequently I have shot dangerou game with single-shots, bolts, etc. Have also been along when other people used other things, including double rifles and even lever-actions. Consequently I think some extra magazine capacity is a good thing on occasion, though not absolutely necessary.

My POINT is that there are choices to make. My profession--at least to my way of thinking--is to present the pros and cons, with some experience to back them up. Certainly a single-shot will do the job, as will a double rifle, or a bolt with various magazine capacities, or even a lever-action. But each is indeed different, and I try to present the differences, based on my experience.

You presented your experience with 9.3x62/.375 Ruger recoil. Everybody else so far has disagreed with your conclusion. As far as I can tell, all who did so also have considerable experience with big-bore recoil, though perhaps we haven't been taught as well as you.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it's just me but all of my 375's seem to recoil more than my 9.3x62's (of the same weight). that is one reason Ganyana likes his 9.3x62 as well as his right shoulderhas stopped one too many bullets and it seem to be overly sensitive to larger calibers.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well,it seems this has turned into another 'Campfire' pissing match,it seems to be the norm now...Someone relates their personal experince and get trumped on by the Gods....Sorry,John you didn't understand any of my statements about shooting,I thought you had been around some.
Before I leave,yes I shoot the 9.3's,.338,.358 and the .375's.I own and shoot .404 Jeff,.450/400,several .458's,I have owned the ,470,475 #2 and a .510 Wells.I shoot what I own,learn all I can and have hunted in 28 states and 7 countries,I know what I know.I don't need BS and Drama,I came here to relax and share a 'fire.....rifle

Come on America,

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well,

Might as well get into the brawl too. I just got thru shooting my Blaser semi-weight 375 next to my blaser tracker 9.3x62

My 9.3 is about 7.7lbs

My 375 is almost 9.2lbs

I was shooting 286 norma alaska's with 52.5 grains of 4064 at right under 2280 in the 9.3.

I was shooting 300 grain hornady with 65.5 grains of varget at right at 2425 out of the H&H.

The 375 belts you, much, much more!

I know it is not all apples to apples, but I will say that recoil has alot to do with speed or the bullet and powder charge.Also the recoil speed, it seems to be greater with the 375

One of the most unpleasant rifles I ever had built was a 30-378 it was 7lbs straight up with a scope and a beast to pull the trigger on.

Just my 2 cents,

Ed

Last edited by 505ED; 01/09/09.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rifle,

Gee, I've hunted in 12 countries (including 7 provinces in Canada), and 37 states. I also own a .22 Hornet and have eaten gumbo in New Orleans.

I don't know what any of those have to do with the relative recoil of the 9.3x62 and .375 Ruger, but your latest post confirmed what I suspected after your first on this thread.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
>>>How does all this differ from the .375 Ruger? Don't get me wrong,I like the 9.3's,have two of them,but the Ruger does seem to fill the same pair of shoes....??<<<<<
Muledeer...tell me where this ran off track?? I simply asked for a comparasion between the two 9.3 cartridges before named and the Ruger.375.Has that not been done here many times before??

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muledeer... I do have to ask..do you not beleive that two rifles firing 270 grain bullets,both weigh 8.5lbs, will recoil the same?
I could care less if you like me or not, my use of the Queens english(Mothers side),that's not the point.I am not trying to sell myself to you or anyone else,but just show there are others in the world that have pulled a trigger,but you would not know that,because I don't write magazines,so you can't read about it... I really surprised you made this personal...

Come on America,

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No, they won't, if you're talking factory ammunition (apples to apples). The Ruger has a far greater case capacity, is loaded to a higher pressure, and with more powder. Those factors will lead to a greater recoil.

If you take the 9.3, load 62.0 of powder for 2500 fps with a 270 gr. bullet (average factory load) in an 8.5 lbs rifle, you get a recoil impulse of 4.09 lbs/sec, a recoil velocity of 15.51 fps, and a free recoil energy of 31.76 ft/lbs.

If you take the .375 Ruger, load 75.0 gr. of RL-15 for 2800 fps (about the average factory load) in an 8.5 lbs rifle, you get a recoil impulse of 4.69 lbs/sec (14.7% greater), a recoil velocity of 17.75 fps (14.4% faster), and a free recoil energy of 41.57 ft/lbs (30.9% greater).

Now, stock design may play a lot in actual felt recoil, but set into identical weight and design rifles, and loaded with standard factory ballistic ammunition, the .375 Ruger recoils with greater force, and faster, than the 9.3x62. That's just simple physics. Whether some factors (stock design) mitigate the felt impact of those greater numbers to a particular shooter or not, the simple physics is still there.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
And, yes, I've shot both. The .375 Ruger kicked me worse than the 9.3x62 in the rifles that I've tried both in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But in your numbers you added 300fps to the Ruger? My 9.3 is a full size CZ and 1.5-5x Leupold,the Ruger I shot was scoped the same,weight felt the same and recoil felt the same to me.that's all I have been trying say...

Come on America,

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Right. I used STANDARD FACTORY LOAD ballistics.

Loaded the same, they will feel close enough to the same to be nearly unnoticeable. Again, simple physics.

Though, simply, you're the only one talking about loading the .375 Ruger down to 9.3 ballistics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Though, simply, you're the only one talking about loading the .375 Ruger down to 9.3 ballistics.

+1

At least that is how I'm reading you "rifle".

My current 9.3x62mm weighs 1 1/2lbs less than my .375 H&H
Felt recoil is quite noticeable between the two (with factory loaded ammo).... with the 9.3x62mm feeling much softer on my shoulder.

A couple years ago I had a CZ550 FS. Sans scope and rings it weighed almost 3 pounds less than my .375 H&H. Felt recoil again was noticeable between the two. Again, the nod went to the 9.3x62 for being milder.

If you honestly can not discern a difference in felt recoil between the two "rifle", then your threshold is indeed quite high and not the norm!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,215
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.