Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Mannlicher-Schoenauer was indeed a work of art. When Steyr did a cost accounting of the production they found they were loosing almost $2500 on each one. I have 2 Mannlichers and they shoot 1-1.5 MOA and they are so slick to handle they are a joy.
The SBS series is very accurate but expensive now for what it is. I have 3 of them including a 376 Steyr and a 308. All are very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I traded a Tikka for the 308 and a CZ for a 6.5x55. CDNN is definitely the place to get them if they happen to have them. If you need parts it might be a chore.
I like them but I like a lot of rifles-maybe not the A-Bolts.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
in 1972 a 61MCA SM cost $349 a MKV weatherby DLX cost $350 and a Win M70 cost $139.
Now a Used MCA made in that era cost $1400 a used weatherby $1400 and a used M70 cost $400.
You tell me were the value is.
I buy steyr prohunters everytime i can catch one for $600 or less. I have probably owned 3 dozen +.
My grab and go is a 20" lightweight 308 that shoots .443" 5 shot groups WITHOUT CLEANING between shots and WITHOUT COOLING between shots with softpoints.

Last edited by ringworm; 01/11/09.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Clean a rifle? smile

I meant that in jest and them I remembered an article in Rifle a year or so ago about pressures. The author found that the first shot after cleaning might have a huge pressure spike due to lack of copper"lube" in the bore. Did you ever notice how you can go blithely along never having trouble until someone tells you something can happen you never suspected? Well,the very next time I cleaned my 270 and took it to the range the first shot resulted in a VERY HEAVY bolt lift. Never happened before-factory ammo.
Food for thought.

Last edited by drducati; 01/11/09.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The price at that time for a blued Prohunter was $495.00 IIRC which was a lot less than the Sako's, Remingtons, Brownings,Weatherby's and Rugers.

New Ruger MKII and Hawkeye's go for about 550 here. Can't see 495 being "alot less" than that.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From what I've read, thier safties are beyond reproach. shocked

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had a number of styers, and they are a great value. The reason CDNN bought what they did is the Styer and the importer got crossways and parted ways. So they bought what the imported had. As for having alot, or all different cal. that is not right. I have a good friend that buys for CDNN and he sent me the list right after they got the rifles. I bought 2 308 heavy 20in barrels, 376, and a 9.3x62. Only have the 9.3 now.( I'm a gun trading feind). They only have a fraction of what they had bought. They still have some good cal, but the really cool steyr's config's have already snapped up.

As for best out of the box, I'd say steyrs are 2nd or 3rd. Blasers are #1 bar none, followed by sauer and styer IMOP.

Ed

Last edited by 505ED; 01/11/09.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure about expensive, they were originally but I got my Prohunter for $525 NIB I'm guessing because it is in 6.5X57 a rather odd caliber for the US. Great trigger, best saftey I have used, and yes it shoots under 1/2" out of the box. In fact the worst load I have ever shot with it was 1 1/2" for 5 at 100 yards. Ugly, perhaps but I know exactley were the bullet will strike, that to me is worth a whole bunch. This Steyr will be one of my "keepers".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cliff444
and deys butt ugly, Europeans have different tastes than us rednecks.

My neck is pretty red, and I love European firearms. At nearly any time, a Blaser R-93 Professional or Sako Finnlite can be found in the gun rack on my 4 wheeler.

As far as Steyrs go, they are not the best looking firearm in my opinion either.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by retrieverman; 01/11/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

They have all of these in stock, and I assume more than 1 of each.

Steyr ProHunter 243 23.6" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 243 23.6" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 25-06 23.6" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 25-06 23.6" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 270 23.6" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

Steyr ProHunter 30-06 23.6" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 30-06 23.6" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 7mmRemMag 25.6" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter 7mmRemMag 25.6" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 243 20" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 243 20" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 25-06 20" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 25-06 20" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 270 20" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 270 20" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 30-06 20" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 30-06 20" Barrel Stainless with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain 7mm-08 20" Barrel Blue with Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr ProHunter Mountain Camo 270 20" Barrel Stainless with Realtree Synthetic Stock

FFL Price

Steyr Ultra Light 222 19" Fluted Barrel Blue with Walnut Stock

FFL Price

Steyr Ultra Light 223 19" Fluted Barrel Blue with Walnut Stock

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll never forgive them for first uglying up and then discontinuing the little Mannlicher carbine....one of the coolest rifles ever (but no longer) made.

half minute groups ain't all that special any more, and a rifle doesn't have to look like a piece of plumbing equipment or cost well into four figures to do it.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bud's gets them in spurts, they sell out quickly. I have a 7-08 20" barrel mannlicher stocked one I got this year. Love it.

Up until 2 years ago you could buy them at Wal-Mart. You went online and they had a catalog. You printed out the code and took it into wal-mart and they would order it. I got one like that, cost $1895 new.

It's hard to find the mannlicher stock ones but they are leaps and bounds ahead of the Rugers and CZ's which are about the only ones you find in the states anymore.

Never owned one of their regular style rifles.

They don't cost a gazillion dollars. No more than a good quality bolt action.

Cabelas gun library normally has a good stock of older MS's in stock at reasonable prices (compared to most of their stock) and I have gotten 2 from them.

One I picked up earlier this year looks just like this one.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 01/11/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Steyr ran into problems for a short while folling the start of the Iraq war. I think for a short period they were banned from importation to the US because they were selling to Iran. I could be wrong but I want to say that's what I had read.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
How do they compare to the sako's, tikka's, Abolts,or remchester's???
Looking at my Steyr Prohunter, I'd say its the equal of my Tikka T3 in performance and ugly, lots better than my A-Bolt (before the A-Bolt was modified) in performance, and way better than the compo-stock remchesters I see around (don't have any.)

I can't really comment on how a wood stocked, blued Steyr would compare. They are IMO fine looking, but their list prices start at $2799 ($2999 for a full stock) and go way up from there. I doubt they'd be any better in use than a SAKO 85 Hunter, but there's not a lot of dealers around, and I'm not going to make a special trip on the off chance that they'll discount one I can't do without.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
UGLY????
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NathanL
I think Steyr ran into problems for a short while folling the start of the Iraq war. I think for a short period they were banned from importation to the US because they were selling to Iran. I could be wrong but I want to say that's what I had read.
That agrees with my recollection. The sales to Iran and use of the arms against U.S troops were never proved, but the controversy hurt Steyr's sales here. And I'm speculating that situation might have been part of WM's decision to drop Steyr.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lansend
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
How do they compare to the sako's, tikka's, Abolts,or remchester's???
Looking at my Steyr Prohunter, I'd say its the equal of my Tikka T3 in performance and ugly, lots better than my A-Bolt (before the A-Bolt was modified) in performance, and way better than the compo-stock remchesters I see around (don't have any.)

I can't really comment on how a wood stocked, blued Steyr would compare. They are IMO fine looking, but their list prices start at $2799 ($2999 for a full stock) and go way up from there. I doubt they'd be any better in use than a SAKO 85 Hunter, but there's not a lot of dealers around, and I'm not going to make a special trip on the off chance that they'll discount one I can't do without.

If that's list then they come off a good bit. As mentioned I paid $1895 for a full stock and have seen other regular stocked ones for $1800-$2000 new.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice piece of wood....before they carved on it wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
UGLY????
[Linked Image]

Very nice! grin

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Retrieverman, what model is that? Looks like a cross between a scout and a prohunter??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only seen two. One day another forum poster brought one by the range. It was a nice little thing in 308 with a synthetic stock, detachable mag and the stock held another mag. I looked it over and shot it a couple of rounds. I thought quite highly of it, but they are just too expensive.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,223
Posts18,466,510
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.