-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In the pic the top nut and piece of threaded rod are for adjusting the amount of sear contact I assume. Anybody know for sure?

I thought about tuning it, for practice, before going to the smith.

Thanks,

Mike

[Linked Image]

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is not the original trigger... Or at least it is not like any of mine or any of the many I have seen. It is not like any Timney I have seen.

Probably the top rear screw is sear engagement, bottom rear is pull weight and there is an overtravel adjustment on the front...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sikta,

Art, That IS an original Mark X trigger...

They did use the old simple FN military/sporting style single stage trigger on the very earliest Mark X actions but by the mid 1970s they had the steel housing adjustable units.

I have seen many of them.

They continued using them on the last Mark Xs and I believe the newer Daly/Remington 798 have them as well.

My 1978 vintage Mark x has an identical unit..

You were spot on as to where the adjustments were.

My advice to anyone adjusting these is beware of the slop in the adjustment screws. Once you get it set to your liking, go back and EPOXY those screws in. And likewise epoxy the lock nuts down. That m98 firing pin really rocks those units and WILL vibrate things loose.

Also, be sure and properly adjust the safety tumbler screw so that when the engagement is set, the safety goes in to position positively and there is NO movement of the trigger when put in the safe position.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim
Thanks for the correction! I have taken quite a few of these apart and have never seen one. The three I have on hand right now are all very simple.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to mess with it, then if I mess it up Roger Ferrell can fix itgrin

I just want to practice..

Do they normally adjust pretty well? Say a smooth 4-LB's

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
While I haven�t worked on that exact model of trigger myself, I think Sitka Deer is wrong in his description of which adjustment screw does what. I am fairly near certain that the top screw at the front of the housing is for let-off weight adjustment, and the lower screw at the rear of the housing is the over-travel adjustment.

ROTR � you can find out quite easily which is which. Slacken the lock nut on the top front screw, and remove the screw completely from the housing. Take the final turns VERY CAREFULLY, because if I am correct, a compression spring located under the screw will come flying out!

If there is NO spring in there, then I am wrong, and the lower screw at the rear would be for weight adjustment, and should have a spring under it � but I very much doubt it, because there just isn�t enough depth there. The spring would have to be so short that it would be almost useless for let-off weight adjustment.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll check it out when I get home from court tonight.

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my daly has an excellent trigger

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Top front screw", pull weight
"Upper back screw", sear engagement
"Lower back screw", trigger stop/over-travel

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

I just got in and don't really feel like fooling with it tonight.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The big trick with that style of Mark X trigger is not adjusting the trigger--but adjusting the trigger and having the safety still work reliably. Often if that's the case, then the trigger break isn't quite as good as it might be.

If you have a 3-position type safety installed, the Mark X trigger can get really good.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Mule Deer that is what it is destined to have. Since I tinkered with my 10/22 by putting a volquartson hammer and various other parts in it and a little fooling with my Rem 700 trigger assy I'm not totally scared of them anymore so I wanted to mess with it a little before it's gone south.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.