-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not quite. You need to spend more time with Sherlock, Dr. Watson, and less time with his cocaine.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I finally got a chance to try my hand at one of the Swap flies, the Thunder Creek. I googled up an old 'Fly of the Month' from Alaska Flyfishers, used those instructions as foundation, guessed at Sitka's embellishments, and came up with a decent first effort. Of course, I don't have access to MissTreated's pink bead chain!
I used bucktail for the first time- it doesn't stack any more easily than calf!

9672 #14?
Did you use two different colors of Crystal Hair? (That stuff's too psychedelic for my old eyes to distinguish.)

Next up will probably be that one with the German/Spanish/Indian name. My google examples are not ribbed. But without the rib I wouldn't have been so intrigued.
Any tips, 458 Lott?

(Troutfly, there might be a slight delay. grin )

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually, that is polar and grizzly bear hair, rather than bucktail and a pearleasent flash. It has been my ace dolly fly for years, but only this past year did I figure out why. I always considered it an alevin pattern, but now think it is a sea louse pattern...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought it was your charter business employees that you called 'sea lice'.

I dunno. I don't think I'd be fooled if I ordered a bowl of sea louse soup and found it filled with Thunder Creeks.

OK, polar and grizz it is. My attempt used white and brown bucktail, as per the article. Now I gotta dig deeper in the materials box!
But you also tied in four strands of flash. I think two yellow and two violet? (Neato - the violet ones show a polka dot pattern/texture under magnification.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by macrabbit
I finally got a chance to try my hand at one of the Swap flies, the Thunder Creek. I googled up an old 'Fly of the Month' from Alaska Flyfishers, used those instructions as foundation, guessed at Sitka's embellishments, and came up with a decent first effort. Of course, I don't have access to MissTreated's pink bead chain!
I used bucktail for the first time- it doesn't stack any more easily than calf!

9672 #14?
Did you use two different colors of Crystal Hair? (That stuff's too psychedelic for my old eyes to distinguish.)

Next up will probably be that one with the German/Spanish/Indian name. My google examples are not ribbed. But without the rib I wouldn't have been so intrigued.
Any tips, 458 Lott?

(Troutfly, there might be a slight delay. grin )

No panic lol

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Second (and third) time's the charm. I can tie a passable macrabbit version of Sitka's version of ...'s version ... of the Thunder Creek. The fly looks like a wide-eyed innocent, ready to be taken advantage of by the big, bad trout (apologies to Goldilocks).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tie them very sparse for myself... Maybe 15 hairs total... But they look better with more junk on 'em...

They illicit the hard strikes like a smallmouth on a hellegramite... That is what I really like... You are of course exactly correct on the hook.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand the sparsosity. You're right- they look better with a bit more. I'm aiming for about a dozen each. Short lengths of translucent PB don't much show up!

The color in the bead chain eyes is quite the touch. I only have the usual brass or silver.

No comment yet on the flash?

On another note, I tied up one of those Cootchie-Booties. (I know, coch y bondhu drips with history)
Does it need a good Ginking in order to float well?

Thanks again to all the Swappers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The flash is "rainbow" and depending on the exact little section used runs to just about any color. Atherton made a lot of sense to me many moons ago and I have been throwing lots of colors into stuff ever since.

At a garage sale some years bcak I got a tin box full of bead chains. A bunch of it... and have been long on chain and choices since.

I like lots of Gink pretty much anytime I want a floater...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Just kidding! They came through with fly-ing colors.

Got some cuties here.
Thanks, all.

458, all your flies just say 458. Did your merry band desert you, or are the labels abbreviated?

Yup, I was deserted. The boys wanted to tie, but just had too much homework and other extra caricular activities, and my daughter just didn't get hooked with the tying bug.

I still need to wander over to Stinky deers to pick up our fly swap flies.

The coch y bondhu isn't true to the pattern as I didn't use the proper hackle, but I figure the fish won't know the difference. I coulda sworn I cemented all the flies I tied.

So, most importantly, has anyone caught any fish yet with any of the fly swap flies???

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

So, most importantly, has anyone caught any fish yet with any of the fly swap flies???

Good luck with that! I've been told that some of our Swappees enshrine the flies and never use them. There oughta be a law.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got out today for a couple hours of pond fishing. The beginning of the week I fished the Wood River and got skunked. Fast cold water was keeping the bugs from coming off and the fish weren't biting. Today, I hit a tiny pond and caught two tiny brookies on the ugliest fly in my box: a Mickey Finn. I threw flyswap flys and other standbys at the risers, let them sink and stripped them in.... I got nada until the sun was up a couple hours. I got 2 brookies and a yellow perch, and then another hour of nada and I went home. The River is still cold and we're all waiting on it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You get a gold star for trying.
To coin a phrase, "There's always tomorrow". (You have my permission to use that.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just caught a nice rainbow on Chester Creek (right in the heart of the city, complete with drunks, homeless and floating flotsam) using the adams. (or was that last year's? crazy)

M

Last edited by MissTreated; 06/08/09. Reason: confusion

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hip, hip, hooray for our SwapMistress!
Anyone else making our effort worthwhile? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard yesterday that Trout Unlimited is float stocking a stretch of the Wood this weekend. I will be going up Sunday or Monday to try fresh water again. Salt water fishing has been hot so we've been concentrating on it but this weekend, it's trout fishing.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're not using the Swap Flies, I'm not interested! grin

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

169 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 29 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.