Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So your saying most people like the rifle,but not the caliber or bullet type right?Exactly what I been trying to say.This debate is about the M16,not the ammo it uses.BTW what do you guys think would be the best bullet to use(still .223)?

Thanks,Tyler

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Most of this discussion goes right by us without stopping, mainly because we are limited to what the government gives us in terms of weapons and ammunition. So the point it moot. Do we discuss it? Yeah, but not to the same degree as the civilians.

I'm sure there were 4 Roman soldiers standing around a campfire once and one was saying "You know, this short sword was great in the forests of Germania, but I would really like something a little longer in the fields of Gaul. I don't want the enemy to get as close."

In the 20th Century the movement in battle casualties has progressed away from direct fire and toward indirect and fragmentary weapons. In that respect the exact round is less important than a well-rounded organization that can bring it's weapons to bear at the proper time and place. There are exceptions of course, SOPCOM being one of them, but few battles are won or lost in the direct fire and movement phase. The object is to break the enemy's will to fight before you have to engage him at 300m or less, that is why MMG and HMG Sections can shoot 1800m (don't even get me started on mortars, arty, air, etc.), so you can suppress/kill him while you maneuver on him and make his position untenable, forcing him to retreat or die in place.

In the long run although we will admit there are better weapons/ammunition (still remember to keep these separate though) for special purposes, there isn't something that is out and out more well-rounded. I've soldiered on 3 continents with the M16 and M855 ball ammo, from -20 to 120 and can't think of a general issue rifle or ammunition I've seen that I would have been happier with. That said I am very interested in the 6.8mm, but it has to be markedly better than the 5.56 in more than just one aspect.

Bob

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This XM8 will certainly be an improvement on the M4, and just might prove to be nearly as good as the AK47. LOL

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why doesn't the military load 77 grain bullets in the 5.56mm cartridge? These have just about the same ballistic coefficient as a good 7.62mm (.308) round and also the same muzzle velocity. They will hit better at long range and penetrate light armor better than the 62 grain round.

Actually, it is no trick at all to shoot 90 grain bullets in this cartridge, but you have to use 1-6.5 rifling twist and load them longer than magazine length, so you've got a single shot unless you redesign the magazines and magazine wells.

One thing that has not been mentioned about the 5.56mm is that it's far, far easier to teach someone to shoot it accurately, which is why you see all these teenage girls etc. winning High Power matches at Camp Perry.

Though I am not familiar with the XM8, if its sights are fixed at the factory, I suspect you can kiss off hits at 200 yards and beyond. 15,000 rounds without cleaning is interesting too. The barrel will be long gone so you'll hve to change it.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
There is no $$$$$$$$$$ doing it right the first time. But lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ fixing it the next time.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.