24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is the difference between the .45 Lc and the .$5 Schofield? Can they both be used in the same gun? I am converting my .44 Remington '58 C&B to a cartridge pistol and I see both on the Krist converter.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The .45 Schofield is shorter, much like the .38 special and .357 mag. If you are using the typical light loads for CAS, then there is less airspace in the case. The results should be slightly more uniform than with .45 Colt.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for the info. Once again I have learned something new today. Now do I send it off to get the loading port cut into it or not? Decisions, decisions.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tom is right of course. The 45 Schofield case was actually much-used by the US Army in the west due to its being able to fit either of their issued revolvers, the Schofield or the SAA, whereas the "Long Colt" only fit the SAA.

You will probably be better satisfied with your conversion if you go ahead and get the Long Colt cylinder. You can still use 45 Schofield cases if you so desire, but you can also use the much more popular 45 Colt cases. This is a huge advantage. Since neither was used in Remington conversions historically, there is no disadvantage either way as to period accuracy.

As to getting the cut made, it boils down to historical accuracy vs. convenience. Certainly the loading of the piece will be much easier to accomplish, but the originals did not have the loading gate.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks i appreciate the info. Since I'm not really going for historical accuracy I'll most likely have the cut made. i believe the Remington conversions used a .44 cal round. i'm just looking at ease of loading.

Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good advice on the .45 Colt cylinder, just more versatile. The loading gate is a good Idea as well, a real nice convenience.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got the McDowell book on conversions, which is probably the best authority on the original guns. I was in error. I think that the most common of the Remington conversions, and this is just from memory, was the .46 caliber rimfire without a loading gate. It seems that there were many different conversions though and that some had not only cuts but loading gates. If it were me, that's what I'd go for too. If you get the .45 Colt with the cut and loading gate, you'll be good to go, both historically and practically.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just to be totally accurate, I don't think there were ever any .45 Colt Remington percussion conversions, but other than the round, you should be historically accurate and the .45 Colt round will be the most convenient.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Once I get this one finished, (I'm thinking Stag Grips) I will start working on a Colt conversion. Most likely a Colt Army.

Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I shoot the 45 Schofield cases loaded with a full load of BP in my 45 Colt guns in CAS. They work great and give plenty of fire and smoke with the shorter case.

Shooter ot the Holy Black,Warthog,Bold,Deadwood Marshal,Border Vigilante,So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Definitely go gated!
I have an antique 1861 Rem Army in 44 Russian with the Kirst loading gate conversion and really like it.I can shoot factory Rem 44spl no problem.After some polishing/fitting she's like a swiss watch...with bite!
you might wanna look at an ejector from Kirst too,go all the way.I just made one up but still have to turn out a cylinder pin to attach it.

A shootin iron is a tool used for shootin
much like
a branding iron is a tool used for branding

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.