Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the process of purchasing a 3-9x40 Scopechief VII and just wanted to know how they stack up. Any opinions from people that HAVE used them? Thanks!
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have a couple, Bushnell covers them under their factory warantee. the adjustments tend to be very smooth, power rings feel like they are on ball bearings (ok a slight overstatement but you get the idea) and generaly very clear optics. they dont have the newer coatings but what they do have works well. the only thing i would point out and there's nothing you can do about it, is if they have been used a bit they could maybe use a recharge of nitrogen by bushnell. if you take it out in some crappy weather and it fogs up, send it in as the seals could need to be replaced. i'm not saying that will happen but i am saying even my 20 yr old leupold needed to be sent in two years ago to get cleaned up. my fear would be that bushnell stops repairing them and starts replaceing them with anything less than an Elite. i have a 1.5-4 variable that is screaming to be placed on top a lever action of sorts, a 3-9, and i had a 3-9 with BDC i sold last year. i also have a banner series II that is of the same quality and mfr. i use them for display's now but would have no reservation to put one in the field, especialy on top of a vintage apropiate rifle. if i wasn't so strapped for cash these days with the economy and getting done with Christmas last month i would have bought a couple others recently that would look great with the ones i have, but i'm cutting back for a little while.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 01/19/09.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by selmer
I'm in the process of purchasing a 3-9x40 Scopechief VII and just wanted to know how they stack up. Any opinions from people that HAVE used them? Thanks!
Selmer

Selmer,

The Scopechief line was Bushnell's flagship prior to the 3200/4200 scopes coming on line.
I have two of the Scopechief's and use them regularly. Never encountered a problem with either.
However, we're talking 50 year old technology with the scopechief's, and there is better glass available today. I just happen to like them, kind of like the old Leupy 3x scopes.
If you're open to having glass/coatings of yesteryear, you won't be disappointed.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
have had and still use...mosy anything jap is pretty good for these eyes and i like the lines of the scope to boot !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have several Scopechiefs in different variables, a couple 2.5 X 8's and a few 3 X 9 VI' along with 3 of the older ones with the Command Post, I think they were ahead of their time for brightness and clarity, seem to hold zero well also, I have the Command Post models mounted on Rem Pumps and 742 auto's back in Dakota, the thick post seems to make lining up on a running shot a bit easier, I am always on the lookout for a Scopechief in Good condition, I am sure you will like yours

Last edited by Dakotakid; 01/20/09.
IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dakotakid
I am always on the lookout for a Scioechief in Good condition,

Me too... grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Whoa, I musta been in a Hurry there, Tried to post and run afore I got runover on this Optics Forum ,lol

S
S
I just had a 4x32 ScopeChief VI mounted on my Savage 99. Looks really good and it is very clear.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up a Scopechief IV with command post in a trade. Pretty cool scope and I like the idea of changing the reticle. I was kinda thinking about putting this one in the classifieds but don't really know what it would be worth. Any ideas?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What shape is it in? glass clear/no scratches, power range smooth,, I"d guess anywhere from 75 to 100 bones

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I had one of the Scopechiefs that was like the Burris F2s. The gearing on the windage knob fell apart, and Bushnell replaced it with a 3200.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Higbean was asked if the power range was smooth on his scope. I was given a Scopechief IV 3-9x38 w/Command Post and the power ring seems like it has an indent at 6X otherwise it's smooth. The scope,cosmeticly,is in decent shape with no visual damage that may cause a problem. Was there something about the power rings on these scopes. These are still covered by Bushnells warrenty?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Funny this should come up. I found a Scope Chief VI 2.5x8x32 in my basement a few days ago ! I don"t know where it came from but it sure looks nice, very light and short compared to a Nikon 4 x 40.A friend has one on a Rem model 7 it's perfect. This one doesn"t have a mark on it and I may put it on my Win. 100

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the power ring is not that smooth on mine. Some dings. Optics are clear though. I dig the post option. Can you tell me about Bushnell warrantying these?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep you found a winner, I have two of them, great little scopes, small objective but like you stated , compact, I run one on a model REM model Six pump .243 and one on a 99 Savage, and if you dont like it P M me with a price, I"ll take it off your hands for a fair price, I am one post behind here,

Last edited by Dakotakid; 01/21/09.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
One of the neat things about the Scopechief Scopes is they are usually priced right. I didn't pay a whole lot for the two I have, and think the image they deliver is excellent.
I think I paid $50 for a fixed 3x Scopechief and it is a lot like the Leupold fixed 3x scopes, just right for Northern Michigan swamp hunting.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Scopechief IV 1.5-4 that I sent in a few years back with a tracking problem. They said it was not repairable and offered to replace it with a Ssportsman model for $59. I keep the scope in my safe to remind me that I will never deal with Bushnell again.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
On the Scopechief I sent in, Bushnell called and tried to sell me a 4200 for more than I could find one on the Internet. I told them to send the broken Scopechief back or reimburse me, and they said they couldn't do that. After a little back and forth, I told the sales lady that I'm all over the Internet gun boards, so do whatever they wanted. All of a sudden, the person monitoring the call said something, and the lady asked me if I would take a 3-9 3200 instead. ...It's not like dealing with hassle free Sightron or Leupold.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.