Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wear a lot of patagonia also, and will continue. Love the micropuff stuff. Just posted the buffalo info since the question was posed. I think whatever the intent, it is a fine line to walk when you offer to buy a permit for a legal hunt so that the hunt does not take place. I do believe that these guys are smart enough, even if they don't support hunting, to not be overtly antihunting. They do enough market research to know that hunters use their stuff. Probably not the majority by far, but losing any market segment is bad for business.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm pretty sure the Patagonia guys hunt..

I prefer the "blue" capilene.
[Linked Image]
Or some of the merino wool they make..
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The buffalo hunt is even more contentious than so far explained. Ranchers outside Yellowstone are more concerned about brucellosis transmission than forage competition, and that was the big reason for the hunt. Now ranchers are pointing at elk as brucellosis vectors (and they are, to a degree) and asking for control in certain areas. Transmission of disease between more resistant wild ungulates and more easily managed domestic livestock is complex in both epidemiology and policy--but, as in many areas, there is pressure on govt. to do something, anything. Ranchers asking that elk be controlled are also saying that wolves are destroying elk populations and need to be controlled, which is not wholly off the wall but puts the agencies in a strange kind of bind when budgets are low and diverse feelings are high.

I don't believe there are any real clear solutions, but it seems best to keep wild animals wild, give them some room, and keep management minimal. Which brings up another point--that buffalo out of Yellowstone are highly habituated to people and traffic, creating the risk of a public relations fiasco for hunting like the one a few decades ago where buffalo were mowed down by rifle hunters the minute they stepped over the park boundary. These recent hunts were well managed with hunters carefully briefed and spaced out over broad areas away from roads and over a long season. The habituation issue will go away soon enough with that kind of foresight. I'll probably start putting in for a bison permit soon--when I can afford a third large freezer.

I respect Patagonia in large measure for their environmental ethic, which has led, I know, to some substantial and needed donations for fisheries. Go into the Dillon, MT outlet during the annual sale, and many of the shoppers are hunters. I do note that Patagonia is bringing out more and more drab colored clothing, e.g. the whole tan and OD DAS line, and I doubt that's coincidental in a company as aggressive, profitable, and customer service-oriented as Patagucci.

Please do put on anything credible about opposition to caribou and other hunting. For my part, I'll communicate with Patagonia before I turn my back on them. I have to hold myself to the same standard that I hold my kids to--if you don't speak your piece early, you sure as s__t don't get to complain later.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jockc
The buffalo hunt is even more contentious than so far explained. Ranchers outside Yellowstone are more concerned about brucellosis transmission than forage competition, and that was the big reason for the hunt. Now ranchers are pointing at elk as brucellosis vectors (and they are, to a degree) and asking for control in certain areas. Transmission of disease between more resistant wild ungulates and more easily managed domestic livestock is complex in both epidemiology and policy--but, as in many areas, there is pressure on govt. to do something, anything. Ranchers asking that elk be controlled are also saying that wolves are destroying elk populations and need to be controlled, which is not wholly off the wall but puts the agencies in a strange kind of bind when budgets are low and diverse feelings are high.

I don't believe there are any real clear solutions, but it seems best to keep wild animals wild, give them some room, and keep management minimal. Which brings up another point--that buffalo out of Yellowstone are highly habituated to people and traffic, creating the risk of a public relations fiasco for hunting like the one a few decades ago where buffalo were mowed down by rifle hunters the minute they stepped over the park boundary. These recent hunts were well managed with hunters carefully briefed and spaced out over broad areas away from roads and over a long season. The habituation issue will go away soon enough with that kind of foresight. I'll probably start putting in for a bison permit soon--when I can afford a third large freezer.

I respect Patagonia in large measure for their environmental ethic, which has led, I know, to some substantial and needed donations for fisheries. Go into the Dillon, MT outlet during the annual sale, and many of the shoppers are hunters. I do note that Patagonia is bringing out more and more drab colored clothing, e.g. the whole tan and OD DAS line, and I doubt that's coincidental in a company as aggressive, profitable, and customer service-oriented as Patagucci.

Please do put on anything credible about opposition to caribou and other hunting. For my part, I'll communicate with Patagonia before I turn my back on them. I have to hold myself to the same standard that I hold my kids to--if you don't speak your piece early, you sure as s__t don't get to complain later.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for but it was hard to pin point a real "why" threw the articals on the net.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A little off the topic but since several brought up habitat protection, how do you guys feel about Cabelas "Trophy Properties" ? Running adds like "ripe for subdivision", etc. I have personally seen 3 areas that allowed hunting previously sold to wealthy individuals that prompltly put up the no trespassing signs. One was suddivided and now has many homes. I know this made the paper a while back and Cabelas made a donation to montana fwp to get on their good side. Seems like this although not antihunting is certainly not pro habitat and conservation. I still wear patagonia , but have quit shopping at Cabelas.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ditto--with the exception of a couple items I can't get elsewhere. It's now my last choice. I had one of their credit cards, and I'm replacing it.

Cabela's was genuinely apologetic and said some very nice things to FWP, but time will tell if their "agreements" with buyers mean anything at all. A one time donation is paper clip money to a company that size. If they donated a significant percentage of their revenue (as Patagucci does) every year to the block management program or habitat, I would feel differently. Some of their explanations also rubbed me wrong in that they were doing a lot of rationalizing.

Fact is, I know a lot a people in the outdoor equipment and conservation fields, and Cabela's spends its money on expansion, not conservation or hunting access.

Once again, I'd like to compliment FWP for engaging Cabela's on this.

Now, if I just didn't like their outfitter camo microtex and berber fleece so much, I'd feel better--or at least more self-righteous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While plenty of people who wear Patagonia clothing might be anti hunting, I've never heard of anything coming from the company that is anti hunting. They do put alot of money into environmental causes. As I recall, Yvon Chouinard (founder and ceo) is an avid fly fisherman. They make great products and stand behind them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many die-hard fisherman, especially some (NOTE: SOME!) fly fisherman are definitely anti-hunting, so I wouldn't take Chouinard's fishing hobby as definitive proof of his stance toward hunting.

My guess is that Patagonia as a corporation goes out of its way to avoid being either pro- or anti- hunting. I would surmise that many, even most, Patagonia employees are anti-hunting.

Like many "liberal" companies, Patagonia has a military line, and many folks here scored some great deals when it all went on sale. I love my alpha green R1 pullover! Companies aren't afraid to make a buck.

The dull colors seem to be more in vogue now, with many companies. Maybe that's an attempt to market to hunters, maybe the result of a push against "visual pollution" and maybe it's just that those colors that are in style. I find it hard to believe that's the result of an attempt to market - in a clandestine manner - to hunter. Whatever the cause, I'm enjoying it. I prefer quality, non-camo but drab-colored clothing.

Every piece of Patagonia gear I have is still going strong, except for one - a bathing suit that lasted about 15 years, including years of surfing in Hawaii and kayaking in Colorado. I re-sewed the velcro numerous times before my wife caught me by surprise and threw it out!

I was reading their catalog a few days ago and it had a caribou article. I think I threw it out but I'll have to look.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm the guy who started the thread. Everyone, thanks for the responses. What a wealth of information and articulate responses. I was ready to walk away from the company, but it certainly sounds like that would be a mistake and I will continue to purchase from them in the future.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JRaw
Like many "liberal" companies, Patagonia has a military line, and many folks here scored some great deals when it all went on sale. I love my alpha green R1 pullover! Companies aren't afraid to make a buck.

The dull colors seem to be more in vogue now, with many companies. Maybe that's an attempt to market to hunters, maybe the result of a push against "visual pollution" and maybe it's just that those colors that are in style. I find it hard to believe that's the result of an attempt to market - in a clandestine manner - to hunter. Whatever the cause, I'm enjoying it. I prefer quality, non-camo but drab-colored clothing.

I've read articles on avoiding mosquitoes and such that would suggest the drab colors are partially to avoid "visual pollution", but also for the fact vivid colors seem to attract bees and mosquitoes. For bees, it's more that you're like a bright flower, and for the mosquitoes, it's something to do with the contrasts of dark and light colors.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
M
M
I did see a camo fishing shirt in the spring lineup...

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
They have a line of fishing gear, so I would think they are not Anti. Most groups that are anti are also anti fishing. Just because they don't promote hunting and go after the hunting market per se,does not mean they are against hunting.

It would be a tough line for a company as this to adhere to. I am sure there are alot of their customers that are anti, and more that are neutral on the subject. If Patagonia started to sell camo, pictures of customers holding dead critters on the website it would surely nip them in the butt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.