Print Thread
Hop To
C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a family memeber living in the Kamas, UT area & was thinking of trying to get a tag. Do I have any chance at getting a general any bull tag on the first try or will I need several points? Is there alot of public land in the area? Finally is there a source to get maps of whats open to the public? Thanks

Where all the white women at?
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The Kamas area is close to the Uinta National Forest. You will have plenty of opportunity to get on public land from the Kamas area. That said, there is a lot of private ground right around Kamas.

This is Utah's general Any Bull elk area and you will have no problem buying this tag over the counter. They will sell out eventually, but this year they were available until about 3 weeks prior to the hunt.

Good luck!

Firehawk

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
General 'any bull' tags are over the counter tags...go on sale in July...get 'em soon as available...don't wait...spike only tags also 'counter tags'...you can purchase US Forest maps online...Ashley National Forest if not mistaken...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the info guys. I can apply for a general tag through the drawing as well, correct? If you have any other tips or info about Utah in general please tell. This will be my first trip west so I have no idea what I'm doing. If I see any elk I'll probably be lucky.

Where all the white women at?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure you cannot apply for a general elk tag through the draw, they don't go on sale until July. However, you can (and if I were you) apply for the Northern Region buck/bull tag. This allows you to hunt both deer and elk during elk season. Makes for a bit more opportunity...

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
pointer, does the n.region buck/bull tag cover the uinta's? if not i wouldnt apply for one,any place that holds elk in general permit area's in the north is private.

I have had some luck on the south slope of the uintas, but most do not. if your utah connection knows nothing of the uinta's, and you just want to get your feet wet on an elk hunt, buy a spike tag and hunt one of the good L.E units. if you cant find elk in one of utahs L.E units then elk hunting isnt for you!(i really am trying to help)

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
chris84,

PM sent.

Leftybolt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
pointer, does the n.region buck/bull tag cover the uinta's? if not i wouldnt apply for one,any place that holds elk in general permit area's in the north is private.

I have had some luck on the south slope of the uintas, but most do not. if your utah connection knows nothing of the uinta's, and you just want to get your feet wet on an elk hunt, buy a spike tag and hunt one of the good L.E units. if you cant find elk in one of utahs L.E units then elk hunting isnt for you!(i really am trying to help)
It only covers the north slope of the Uintas.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The combo tag still allows you to hunt the "anybull" elk hunts anywhere is the state that is an "Anybull" unit. It is only the Deer portion of the tag that is for the Northern unit only. You can use the Deer tag for the "Anybull" units that lie within the Northern Region Deer Unit. Confusing? A little, but really not that tough to decipher.

FH

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
thanks for the info on the buck/bull tag, it dont intrest me, there for didnt know the boundries.

just sayin, if you hunt the north slope,be sure you have dotted your I's and crossed your T's.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.