Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i think we need to talk doug into carrying the meopta line????

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
E - I do own the Minox and honestly I use them now more than my ultravids - they're very nice I agree. Honestly I'm not sure what I should do. I could just sell the Ultravids and use the Minox all the time when I'm on the move as their compact enough or just in close cover. And when I start thinking like that then the bino I would like to have would be a full sized 7x42 for stand hunting when image quality is at a premium and I don't care about weight- who knows. One thing is once you've been spoiled by good glass it's hard to go back, and the Ultravids image is simply outstanding . . . and honestly the Minox gives little to any of the makes.

I will say I notice that the Minox do shine in low light . . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cfran-

Maybe one of the big three would make a 6.5x set for you, me and DMB? An order of three would surely make them jump, don't ya think? grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You bet - I'm sure we'd move the market! (grin)

F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 338rcm
i think we need to talk doug into carrying the meopta line????

I already made one attempt on that issue.

wink

In terms of the general discussion I have to agree that a high quality 6x-7x binocular really is an addicting experience. I have always been very fond of the 7x42 FL, 7x42 Trinovid, 7x42 Meostar and even the 7x42 SLC (despite the weight). The image quality at that level coupled with the depth of field, wide field of view and large exit pupil make this style of binocular difficult to ignore. Now I would love to see some of these companies come up with a high quality 6-6.5x. The ease of view is apparent with the likes of the Yosemite, Vortex Fury, Minox, etc... Imagine what it would be like if someone pulled out all the stops on one. It probably would make you feel like there isn't even a binocular in front of your face.

wink

Frank
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frank-

That's why I am still considering the Ultravid in 7x as it's the smallest, lightest of the bunch in the alpha's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cabelas has these for $649.88 in the Bargain Cave. I just took the plunge and feel refreshed.

Mike

"Living dangerously is twice blessed -- it blesses the moment with elation; it blesses the after-day with warm memories." Major P.J. Pretorius
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
These are basically a brand new model and Cabela's already has the in the Bargain Cave ????!!!!!! I need to stay away from cabelas then or a pair of these may come home with me!

Bill

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just bought a pair of swarovski 8x30 for 899.00 new. Was going to get the meopta 8x32, but couldnt resist the swarovski price.

Last edited by slg888; 03/18/09.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good review, Frank.

A couple of comments on 8x32 vs 8x42 Meostars:

if you look at the 32mm ones carefully, you will note that while slim, the barrels of the binocular are comparatively long. If you get a chance to look at the design, you will find, that the 32mm binos have comparatively higher f-number than the 42mm ones which makes for better depth of field and fewer aberrations. Even with the same optical quality this 32mm binocular is likely to yield somewhat better image quality.

Have you had a chance to try the new Kowa Genesis 8x33?

ILya

IC B3

F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Ilya,

Excellent observations. I would agree. There are definitely some optical improvements going from the 42 mm to the 32 mm model. The difference is quite noticeable when comparing the two directly.

I have not had the chance to check out the Genesis 8x33. I think it would be an interesting comparison with the Meopta 32 mm though. Holger Merlitz did a nice comparison a year or so ago between the 42 mm Meopta, Kowa and Vortex Razor. The Kowas scored the highest overall edging out the Meopta by 1 point. With the improvements in the 32 mm Meopta line I wonder if the comparison would be even closer at this point.

wink

My guess as to why the price is reduced is to attract more people into buying the bins initially. That way the word can get around about how good they are for the price....and they really are. Other than the Nikon SE 8x32 I have yet to find a 32 mm binocular that offers this level of optical quality in the current "under $700" price range.

Frank
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
FrankD, good review thanks. I was at a Deer Classic a few weeks back and Meopta had a booth. I looked at the 8x32's and really liked them from an ergonomic view. The factory rep basically said they were 98% of a Leica/SWaro/Zeiss bino and I thought he understated them . I own a pair of Meopta 7x42's which I picked up from Alex Roy @ Eurooptics and am pleased as punch with them. I will be ordering the 8x32's.

F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Glad to hear it. I would agree with you. He did understate it. The 8x32 Meoptas are every bit as good as the Swaro EL/SLCs at a fraction of the cost.

I look forward to hearing your further impressions.

Frank
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Always easier to sneak a binocular box past the wife then one of those 52" long carton boxes. grin

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Frank, Thanks for the detailed review. I had already decided on the Meo 8x42 but you've got me re-thinking. Could you comment on the little brothers low light viewing abilities compared to the 8x42? These will be used for backcountry hunting so I'm intrigued by essentally equal ergonomics and optical quality from a lighter unit but low light glassing is high on the list for me as well.
Thanks!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Frank, another thank you for the review. My 10-year old SLC's seemed inadequate hunting near dusk last year; they were non-competitive with the new Zeiss 2.5-8X32 Conquest scope on the rifle.

I have been reading reviews and opinions for about three months. Tonight I reached an informal agreement with my musician wife that a new piccolo and a new pair of binoculars probably were fair compensation for each other.

After rereading this thread tonight, I ordered the Meostar 8X32's that are on sale.

Cheers,

GrimJim

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The brown truck delivered my Meopta Meostar 8X32's this evening just at dusk. I have a pair of Bausch & Lomb Discoverer 8X42 porro prism binoculars at the ready that I immediately compared them to looking around the neighborhood in the dimming light.

This review is from the perspective of a liberal arts major, so it will include minimal technical terms.

My first response on looking through the Meoptas was "Wow!" (first technical term) These little binoculars deliver the biggest view I have seen in binoculars. I hesitate to say field of view, it is really a big picture (second technical term). If there was a scale for a ratio of picture per ounce, these would go off the scale.

I bought the B&L Discovers a few years ago when they were discontinued at a price so low it shames me. Comparing it to the Meostar, I found them both equally bright. This probably means that my eyes (near-sighted and fighting glaucoma) are now old enough that they can't use the greater light available from a 42mm lens or an exit pupil greater than 4 mm.

The Discoverers had a smaller field of view and the picture was smaller and not as natural (third technical term) as the Meoptas. They both resolved detail equally as well.

I will try them for a few days. I will compare them to my 6x30 Yosemites and my 6X32 Platinum Rangers. If my first impression lasts, then I may sell some stuff so I can buy another pair. If you find something you really like, buy two, so you have a spare when it is discontinued.

GrimJim

F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Darcy,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I did not see your post until now. Personally I have found the 8x42 vs. 8x32 comparison someone overrated. For most of the hunting situations I have been in I thinkt he little 32 mm models perform just as well during legal hunting hours. If you are looking for a true low light glass then I would be looking for a 50 mm model or better. The 42 mm models work as a "compromise glass" for just about anything. The 32 mm models are best in terms of their compact nature along with decent exit pupil size and subsequent acceptable brightness levels in most daytime usage conditions.

GrimJim,

Thank you for the comments and the review. I am glad to see you bought them and that you are quite satisfied with them. They will really take off when more folks like yourself take the plunge. I think Meopta has some big things planned over the next year. wink

Frank
F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Hey, I just noticed the new Meopta website is up and running....

www.meoptasportsoptics.com

Frank
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bird Watching Magazine (UK) Reviews The New Meopta Meostar B1 8x32

in the December edition of Bird Watching magazine (UK) David Chandler puts the new MeoStar 8x32 through its paces.

Overall verdict...

"A very nicely put together binocular which delivers a very good view via some lovely ergonomics. Try them alongside the acknowledged �top-gun� 8x32s. Then compare the prices. This Meostar could be a neo-star"

This is a small, lightweight binocular that felt very good in my hands. The aluminium alloy body is covered in green rubber armour, with some stippling to improve grip and with thumb indents underneath. The thumb indents were well-positioned.

Build quality feels and looks impressive, and given Meopta�s history of manufacturing for the military, I suspect this binocular can take some abuse. It�s stuffed full of nitrogen, is waterproof and fogproof and will work from -45�C to +55�C � adequate for most bird watching!

The moving bits are good too. Dioptre adjustment is via a click-stopped, uncalibrated wheel on the focuser. It offers three dioptres of adjustment in either direction, works well and couldn�t be moved inadvertently once set.

The rubber-covered eyecups have a good action, twisting up and down to three positions.

Focusing is smooth and precise, with moderate resistance. The 1.5-finger-wide-ridged focusing wheel provides good grip, even with gloves on, though it sometimes stuck at closest focus. It takes about 1.5 clockwise turns from up close to infinity, but for most birdwatching you won�t need to move it more than 60-70�.

The package includes a strap like no other, and that�s not a criticism. It�s wide, and neoprene, with lumps on the neck side, added to increase airflow and reduce the sweatiness of your neck! Strap attachment is simple, the lugs don�t get in the way and the binoculars hang well. However, it�s reasonably hefty, and may be more than you really need for these.

So are the innards as good as the outers? Meopta use cold coating on their lenses, rather than vacuum coating, which means you can put more, thinner layers on. Silver is used for the mirrored prism surface � this isn�t �di-electric state of the art�, but does a very good job.

The view is impressive and bears comparison with the acknowledged top names. It is wide, very sharp and bright, with just a hint of a yellow cast, but nothing to be concerned about.

Contrast is good, and, hand held with a resolution chart, the Meoptas resolved similarly to an 8x32 from one of the �big four�. I tried hard to find some colour fringing, but found very little, certainly nothing that put me off. They did well in low light and have very good close-focus � I could get them down to just under 1.7m. Eye-relief is quoted as 15.4mm.

I did find some edge softness, but don�t go looking for it � the normal way to use binoculars is to put the bird in the middle!

The accessories are well made, but the rainguard locks on to the eyepieces and can be a real pain to get off � I�d change it.

The case is too big � I�d find an alternative.

The tethered objective covers hang by a thread, literally, so the covers don�t flap up over the lenses. It works, but they can be removed and that�s what I would do.

Design and ease of use (out of 10) 9
Optical rating 9
Value for money 9.5

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (160user, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 257 mag, 23 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.