Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Can you dura coat or paint a houge overmolded stock. I don't think you can but I was seeing if anyone has tried. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They can be painted or dipped with camo. They will lose the "ruberiness" <- is that a word? feel of the stock though and just feel like a painted stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My question would be why. Plain flat black is as good a camo as one is ever likely to need. You would be very surprised at how hard it is to locate a smallish flat black thing in any kind of cover. If one had to do such, an epoxy based paint would be worth a try.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"WHY?" pretty much sums up my thoughts also......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

IC B2

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm guessing that the OP's question was more about the "squishy" rubber of the stock, vs. the painted finish. A "hard" stock (like a fiberglass McMillan) won't 'give' and cause the painted finish to stretch, crack or start peeling ... I would guess the Hogue stock would be rough on paint for that reason.

So, like someone else said ... an epoxy or latex based paint, which has a 'rubbery' or 'flexible' quality to it ought to be the best bet if you HAD to paint the stock ...

but like others have already said, "why?" ... it's just one more thing to complicate the equation. It might not cost much, but it will cost something to paint it, and then there will be the up-keep of the paint job. I'd much rather keep it simple, and leave it as-is ...

-WGM-
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Short answer, not really.

Long answer, not really if you want a quality looking, durable job.

Nothing wants to stick with it long term due to both the soft surface and the actual rubber used. Houge uses a silicon based release agent and silicone does ugly things to duracoat in particular. If you have to try it you will need to abrasive blast to allow the paint to get a better grip on the surface then clean the surface with simple green and carb cleaner. When you spray the duracoat you will also need to use one of their additives that allows the cured paint to have more flexibility.

Or you could spray it with some Krylon for plastics and touch it up as needed for about $10.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Don't do it! I know this dipstick (me) that tried it and it's more trouble than it's worth.Most paint can be scratched off easily with your fingernail and it'll look like an 'ol beater unless U touch it up often.FWIW-keep it clean=a lot less hassle in the long run or for resale value. Bob K.

" If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I asked Hogue about painting the Overmolded stock. They replyed that they had good luck using SEM for vinyl (sold in Auto Parts Paint Stores); or Krylon Fusion. The main problem is removing any mold release agent from the stock. First try rubbing alcohol. If more aggressive release agent removal is required, then use acetone. I have not tried Duracoat on an Overmolded stock.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just had a McMillan stock painted by CS Sports. He did it in a granite finish and it came out looking great. I asked him the same thing about a Hogue stock and he said that stock is more flexible than the paint he uses. Said it would look good at first, but would quickly crack and peel.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.