-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was watching one of the outdoor channels the other day and stumbled on to a show on "PARAGUAY WATER BUFFALO-BOB FOULKROD � Not an easy place to get to, Paraguay resembles Africa in its terrain and remoteness. Join Bob Foulkrod on a dry season hunt through the savannahs of this South American country for the enormous Water Buffalo."

Did anyone else see this?

It was a hunt for what looked like African Water buffalo that were transplanted to South America but the horns did not look nice and the bosses never got hard.

For those that saw the show what were your thoughts on shot placement?

Last edited by wildfowl; 01/28/09.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
ummm,

forgive me but there are no water buffalo in Africa. Water buffs are an asian species and that is the type they were hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I saw it. Bob said he was using a 30/30, if I remember correctly. I was a bolt acion with a laminated stock. That part did not make sense.
These water buffalo were brought to Paraguay and have become feral. They appear to be from Indonesian stock, from horn shape and body confirmation. The ones in Australia are of a different subspecies which came from the India/Burma/Malaysia area.
The buffalo on that show seemed pretty tame, but maybe they are a little spunkier in person.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My bad, I missed the first part of the show.

The part that confused me is that they told him to shoot it behind the ear and the shot looked butchered to me.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've seen Bob on a lot of shows. The only rifle I've seen him use is a Browning. Hmmmm

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by wildfowl
My bad, I missed the first part of the show.

The part that confused me is that they told him to shoot it behind the ear and the shot looked butchered to me.

Sounds like shooting cows in a barnyard.

I believe there is some kind of water buffalo you can shoot on ranches in Florida.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the thing to keep in mind about water buffalo is that most subspecies can be tamed down and used as a beast of burden like an ox, shooting one of these isnt much different than shooting a cow in stockyard.....however ones that are allowed to run wild and are hunted regularly will turn quite wild and most of the subspecies run larger than cape buffalo and some rank them about as mean when properly motivated....some hunts are like shooting fish in a barrel, others are as dangerous as hunting any other large wild bovine.....im told hunting them on foot in some of the swamps of the Northern Territory in Australia aint for the light hearted......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Water buffalo are NOT as agressive as the Cape Buffalo of Africa..It is rare indeed that one will charge..The Asians are about as agressive as a domestic bull meaning they will charge but its very rare..The Australian buffalo is more agressive but not nearly that of the African buffalo and it is rare that he or the Sadlang will charge...The Red Dwarf buffalo bulls of Northern Africa, much smaller than their Cape cousins are the most agressive buffalo in the world and in many cases will charge on sight or just because it occurs to them..fortunatly for many hunters they cannot take the beating and keep on ticking like a Cape buffalo, if they could they would own Africa lock,stock and barrel! smile I love to hunt the dwarf buffalo but not fond of their humid, hot, stinking, wet, habitat so I have not hunted them for years.

There is no sport hunting to compare with hunting Cape Buffalo in my opinnion..I am not a big cat hunter and elephants leave me feeling like I molested mom, but a big black bull in the dirt pumps my pump! He is such a hateful bastard! they are all members of a radical Muslim society you know! smile smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ray its my understanding, and please do correct me if im wrong, that it is actually pretty rare to take a charge from a cape buffalo in the normal course of hunting....i understand in culling or in areas where poaching is high and already wounded animals are more common charges are more frequent....most the time a cape will turn tail and run if he gets your scent.....

with a individual water buff having a bad day, he will try and take your arse out just like any bovine wild or domestic and from everything ive read water buffs seem to be just as bullet proof as the capes when yah dont make the first shot count, but they are more likely to take off for the next county than the cape and rarely turn as vindictive for lack of a better term.....

personally ive got no more interest shooting a ox-type water buff than i do one of my uncles angus, but i wouldnt turn down a real hunt for a wild type water buff no matter which continent and push comes to shove there is a small possibility of things turning hairy even if that possibility is smaller than with the typical cape...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[img][IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/BigTBear/Water%20Buffalo/016_12A.jpg[/img][/img] Agree with you totally. This Water Buffalo was shot on a private island & took 2 days to locate. The small herd was free roaming & stayed in the swamps most of the time. I was finally able to catch the bulls feeding into a field while following cows. After I shot him with my 416Rigby his buds snorted, pawed, & threatened to charge while the carcass was being loaded. An interested hunt, some great burger & sausage but nothing compared to DG hunting in Africa.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good looking critter......been looking at hunts down that way but i just really prefer the look of the subspecies thats in Australia......love the look of those big horns sweeping back grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.