Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I was pondering the Sisk Rifles website, and perusing the reamer list.

I noticed that the 8x57 Ackley was listed, and thought that it made sense being that the 7x57 ackley was so popular.

The very next thought was that an 8mm-06 would be almost identical, and would likely feed better. Am I missing something?

Unless you were working with a true intermediate action and didn't want to mess with opening the mag box?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

BP-B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Just want somethin' different, I reckon.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Crim, 8mm-06 if it was me....Do a Hawk/Scovill or A.I. version if reamers are out there & I needed somethin' unique. My Rem. 700 in 6.5-06 A.I. feeds fine with the standard mag box. B.K.

" If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
VA,
Yeah, you're right about wanting something different. I hate that I am currently suffering from financial embarrassment, or I would have relieved Shootinurse of the SantaBarbara 7x57 in the classifieds here recently. It would have been eventually turned into an 8 of some stripe.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CT,

I have been gifted, or cursed, as the case may be, with an overactive gift of logic. smile

I have also been blessed to have played with a ALOT of different rifles and chamberings over the years. And I currently own a multitude of dies for anything that might come along.

From this experience and the aformentioned blessing of logic comes the following conclusions:

The 8x57 Mauser will handily take any game animal in N.A. (With the possible exception of Ursa Major !)... (A game animal I have NO intention of picking a fight with, YMMV) If one wants an improvement over that there is the 8x60; for which factory ammo and brass are available. (scarce, truly, but available, nonetheless...) There is also the 8mm/06, As I'm sure you're aware. Dies are relatively common and brass is cheap.

Further: there is the 8mm/06 A.I.; for which dies are equally scarce and expensive.

I'm sure my "cave" can reveal a dozen or more rifles with a bore of 8mm. Thus, I have a bit of experience... smile The 8mm/06 that I owned breifly, kicked like a Missouri mule. And I didn't keep it long. smile Dies and brass made their exit at the same time, as I vowed never to own another.

I currently have two rifles at the 'smiths being rechambered to 8x60 and have one 8mm/06. (Not to mention a .325WSM and an 8mm Rem Mag...) I have seen Sellier & Bellot factory ammo in 8x63 of which I assume is the same as 8mm/06. (Wish I'd bought it... frown )

Re: the 8x57 Imp; One can build one, but dies are very expensive (i.e: CUSTOM) and very scarce. Also resale value is minimal for both rifle and dies... Thus: the only reason to build one is merely to have something different. (A concept I am not totally unfamilar with.) smile

Therefore: I have presented my case for LOGIC. When it comes to WANT, Logic just flies out the window! smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Crim, Those $ blues are goin' around. Money ain't everything,but as my cajun friend says - " yeah bruddah,but it sho BUYS everthang!" B.K.

" If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Grasshopper,
They say a smart man learns from his experiences, and a wise man learns from another man's experiences.

I appreciate you taking the time to relate your own experiences with the 8mm's (factory and wildcat versions).

I doubt seriously that I would have a rifle chambered for 8x57 AI, mainly because I already have 8x57 dies, and a form die to make 8x57's out of .30-06, 270, 25-06 brass.

I genuinely like the standard 8mm, and other than a genetic disposition for attraction to "different" cartridges, I wouldn't have any need for the Ackley version.

The dollar troubles will work themselves out, and I believe that before long, I will be putting my safe back in order.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Grasshopper,
I genuinely like the standard 8mm, and other than a genetic disposition for attraction to "different" cartridges, I wouldn't have any need for the Ackley version.

CT,

I think you are a wise man, my friend...

If ever you wish to spend a long week-end in Mi doing a bit of fondling and shooting various rifles in 8mm. Let me know... We could make a day at the range...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That sounds good! I would like that alot.
Take care,
CT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it were me, I would go 8mm/06 in plain vanilla form. Ordinary 8mm mauser dies, correctly adjusted for the longer cartridge, would likely work just fine for the minimal sizing that would need to be done. Ballistically would be a lot like a .338/06 which is a very good thing. If more speed is needed, then instead of doing the AI or Hawk thingy I would just go all the way to 8mm / 300 Win
THAT would be fast, different, and special.
MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Grasshopper...V. good dissussion on the 8s`!

BTB..Mitten...where God placed his hand to steady the Earth after creation? An old Indain saying I believe. I was born in the UP. Think God visited here too.

Was just looking at the 8x57 case last nite..thought I would try to do a AI version..just because. I`ve got the 8mm06AI on a 09 Mauser. Had it for 20+ years. Great cartridge. Only problem that always confounded me is that the mag. is to short in the Mauser for proper bullet seating depth of the various 8mm projectiles. Now that I have a 700 Classic in 8x57, with longer mag, might go the 8x06AI route again when the factory tube goes South.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by CGPAUL; 01/28/09.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Did you get those 180 TSX's to run yet?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CGPaul,

In an old issue of either Handloader's Digest or Gun Digest , (I'm not sure which...) There is a treatise written up on the 8mm Ack Imp. When I can put my hands on it, I'll post which edition it is in. blush

Personally, I've always been a fan of the Tuetonic between-the-wars, 8x60. I would bet that there is not a lot of difference between the two.

When I reread my post, I see I made a mistake. It was my one and only 8mm-06 A.I. that I didn't keep long. I bought it quite by mistake. As the tag on the rifle stated 8mm-06 , not Imp. frown When I got a chance to sell those expensive dies, I took the opportunity, and never looked back. smile I am not particuarly suceptible to recoil, but that one really rocked me. And since I have an 8mm Rem Mag, There is nothing I can't do with the 8mm-06. If I need more, there's always the Mag. (Also have a .325 WSM) Thus, FOR ME, the 8x57 is a fine hunting round, and the 8mm-06 is merely a novelty. smile Just something to play with.

Since you already have the dies, and like the round, there's no real reason for you not to own one. smile

I also like to shoot cast bullets, and here is where the 8x57 really shines. A great "fun gun".

Idle thoughts from a mostly idle mind.... smile

A word of caution: If one is considering an 8x60 one should note, that it will chamber in the venerable '06 or likely a .270 or .280. That in itself presents a very dangerous situation...

Grasshopper

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01/28/09.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Planemech...yea, I did with RL-15. Thought I`d mentioned that.
Also got two lbs of RL-17. The powder is too slow for the 180-185 grners IMHO. velocities in the mid 2500 range with a full case. Very good accuracy tho.
Went to 200grn Nos Part. To cold to fool with the crony, so shot for accuracy potential and any pressure indicators. Worked up a load in my rifle that looks good. Had to use a drop tube for the final load. No pressure, easy extraction, tight primer pockets, and again about one inch at 100. Anxious to check velocity. 4060, TAC, and Hunter are my benchmark powders so for in this rifle, and I have velocity readings to compair to.
This rifle in 8x57 is going to Africa with me this Sept. so I`m fooling with various combinations. I like the cartridge, and as I believe you mentioned, is no slouch. Will also shoot at 300 when the weather breaks a bit.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cast? What you shooting? I cast for the 45-110 and 45 Colt, so have the equipment. Would just need a mold.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CGPaul,

I have several bullet moulds. Lyman 323 Which is about 165 gr. I also have a Custom Lee mould that is about 215 br. and Saeco mould that is about 195 gr. I've not decided as yet which of my 8x57s I'm going to start with. But likely it will be one of my sporterized mil-surps...

My goal is 1700 - 2000 f.p.s

Grasshopper

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Grasshopper...I`ve not really fooled much with cast in smokless rifle, tho I once bought some in .257 for the Savage.
Do you plan to shoot hard cast? or gas check wheel weight stuff?

Do you like the Lyman? I have an old Lyman cast bullet loading manual, I should check that..

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CGPaul,

I haven't actually shot any cast bullets in 8mm as yet. My experience is primarily with 7x57 Mauser, 7mm TCU, .30-30, .30-06 and .35 Rem.

This summer I intend to work with the 8mm's and the .348 Win. So we'll see...

Grasshopper

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was thinking that RL17 may be the cats meow for 200's in the 8x57. Please keep me posted. Though I wonder what the 180 TSX at 2800 will not do that a 200 would?

It might be real fun in an 8mm-.376 Steyr wildcat though!

Last edited by Planemech; 01/31/09.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just posted on the Big Game thread. Yea, gotta see what the crony says. 4064 produced better than 2800 and has been outstanding with 180s in my rifle. Your RL-15 load worked well also.
So I have some options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.