-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The extra-lows were not available to me at the time, but probably would have served me better. That said, I love the ones I have and they'll allow me to use a larger objective. The scope shown on this rifle is now on my Kimber Montana. When I discovered how accurate My 85 was, I decided I wanted a little more magnification. I can't say enough about how solid the Optilocks are and I even like the inserts that protect the scope. Don't let them be a deal killer because this rifle has changed everything I thought I knew about rifles.

[Linked Image]

WAR EAGLE!

GB1

bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OCC, there's a lot of clearance there with the 36mm. Wish they were lower. That said, I'll probably go with a 40 mm (I've got 3 extras) with Butler Creek covers so I think it will be ok.

As you did, I'd go with the Edge right out of the chute. I might have to swing by Auburn and check it out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OCC,

It looks to me as if the limiting factor is the clearance of the power adjuster ring and the base of the OptiLocks. Would a Leupie VX-III 2.5-8 even work with Exra Low OptiLocks?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
OCC,

It looks to me as if the limiting factor is the clearance of the power adjuster ring and the base of the OptiLocks. Would a Leupie VX-III 2.5-8 even work with Exra Low OptiLocks?

Good question. I don't know.

WAR EAGLE!

bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk
The lows will run you around 5.5 oz. everything included.

Thanks! Wonder if the DapTars have the round stud "lug" (for lack of a better term). If so they may be a worthy alternative and save some weight too.

IC B2

bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

harv,

Extra Low opti's are very hard to find (that are not ring mounts) here in the states.

But they really are not that much lower than the low mounts - I had both, my extra low's had a stripped screw so I had to return them.

They are not that easy to find up here as well it seems. They fit my FXIII 6x42 great...but I have been tossing around the idea of going to the ring mount optiloks.

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used 5 or 6 different mounts on my Sako 75's . Here's some Talleys. I think I prefer these best of all:

[Linked Image]

Here's another with Conetrols. These are the lowest mounts I have used on a Sako and I like them in general, but they are harder to work with.

[Linked Image]

Here's the top rifle again, this time with low Optilocks.

[Linked Image]

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, this is why I have an easy time liking Sakos:

[Linked Image]

Weiners are health food - My dad
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
bxroads - The DapTars do not have a recoil lug like the optilocks. To install, you slide them forward on the tapered dovetail, tap them firmly with a small block of wood, tighten the set screw. I promise you, they will not move. My DapTar bases with 30mm low rings weigh 4.6 ozs.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The X-lows don't have the base mount like the lows. VX3 3.5-10 clears fine on my 75

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
bxroads - The DapTars do not have a recoil lug like the optilocks. To install, you slide them forward on the tapered dovetail, tap them firmly with a small block of wood, tighten the set screw. I promise you, they will not move. My DapTar bases with 30mm low rings weigh 4.6 ozs.

There are a couple disadvantages of the tap in systems such as this when compared to optilocks.

One is that they aren't quick removeable like optilocks are. With optilocks you can easily take the scope on and off with little loss of zero.

Two is that with the Optilocks you have windage adjustment using the front dovetail. You can optically center your scope and then align it with the bore by sliding the front base back and forth.

The optilocks do have some disadvantages but I still prefer them to all of the alternatives for my Sako's.........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.