Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnT
Terry did you turn the Mini Mauser into a CRF action too with a claw extractor?

Exquisite project by the way.

Regards
JohnT

No, CRF just isn't necessary. The Mini Mauser has a hell for stout extractor already.

I had thought about some sort of 6mm wildcat but in the end I decided I didn't need it. The barrel is a 1-8" twist which will handle the Barnes TSX 62gr bullets. This alone will turn this little rifle into a fine deer killer. It will also shoot the lighter bullets very well making it great for song dogs and bobcats. The .223 is an amazing round that's a lot more versatile than most give it credit for. With today's heavier, better constructed bullets it'll take down and penetrate surprisingly well. Plus with the ease and price of obtainining .223 ammo it seemed like a no brainer.

Terry

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Terry

Have you considered having either Shane or James have this on their table at the ACGG gathering? I would surely like to see it in the flesh. It will be one of the best looking 223s ever built I am sure. A real treasure to use and pass on some day.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Funny story, Shane was supposed to finish the thing last year for the show! He decided he would rather go hunting and hang out with his four boy's than work on my rifle, can you imagine that? I don't know if it'll be in a finished enough state to display at the show this year. James said he couldn't get started for a while. Shane might want to borrow it to show off his skills. If he does he's more than welcome to it. I would be honored.

Terry

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by TC1
Funny story, Shane was supposed to finish the thing last year for the show! He decided he would rather go hunting and hang out with his four boy's than work on my rifle, can you imagine that?
Terry

Those guys from Idaho can be a bit narrow minded about things like that. Something about having their priorities right I reckon. laugh

Hopefully one of the two craftsmen will have it on display some day. I would really like to see it.

Many thanks for all the pictures.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a table at my house....it's welcome!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Do you have contact information for Shane? I am looking at a project in .250 savage using either a Savage 1920 action or one of these Mini-Mauser actions (Remington sells a 22-250 so I assume it is OK for 250 Savage) Looking at your outstanding rifle come together I am sold on the Mini-Mauser action. I particularly like the bottom metal.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Outstanding project!

Will the stock have a classic red finish like the Jeffery? And will it be cut out to match the thumb cut?

And the metal? Rust-blued?

You are creating an heirloom. Well done!

Cypress

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shane's contact info: shanethompsonq.com

I've talked to Jim about adding some color to the stock. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Terry

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I can probably reach him a little quicker, I'm his dad. I've watched him work on this project several times. Saddly I can't take credit for his talent, it came from his mother.

Here's a picture of Shane's record book bear he/we got this spring, seven foot nine inches. Rifle is his custom 280, he's taken many head of big game with it.
[Linked Image]

Dick

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Dick, welcome to the campfire! I spent a lot of time with Shane on the phone the last two years during this project. I not only got a barreled action but made a good friend in the process. Shane sent me that picture of his hunt this spring. Man what an animal! From the story that went along with it, sounded like you guy's had a great time.

Terry

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Any update pictures?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by ctviking
Any update pictures?

Yeah, what he said.

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, not really. It's at James Andersons now. He's going to put a new bolt handle on it, a 3-position safety and stock it. Shane Thompsn wants to borrow it to show it off at the American Custom Gunmakers Guild show this February. If any of you are going this year you can see it on Shanes table. After that it should be full speed ahead.

Terry

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Wanting to see it, whenever you get it or pics back.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
that will be one fine looking gun. put's me at war with myself tho. build another gun or buy a tag... oh, the desisions one must make!

T
T
given the topic of "Mini-Mausers" take a look at this "Lefty" that the Canadians put together, mighty nice little gun.

"Charles Daly Mini Mauser, Totally overworked and stocked in house "Jeffrey Style" if you will.... Caliber .223 " from their website
Martini and Hagn Gun Makers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Obviously not the first time this has been done. I corresponded with these fine gun makers as to cost and turn-around time on a similar piece, $8000.00 CAD and 6 months. Beautiful work indeed. Mine will be ready, RH version in .223 sometime in May.

Enjoy

Jerry

Last edited by Tractorshaft; 02/02/09.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TC1 is that a Tessier blank?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, Turkish.

Terry

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tractorshaft
given the topic of "Mini-Mausers" take a look at this "Lefty" that the Canadians put together, mighty nice little gun.

"Charles Daly Mini Mauser, Totally overworked and stocked in house "Jeffrey Style" if you will.... Caliber .223 " from their website
Martini and Hagn Gun Makers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Obviously not the first time this has been done. I corresponded with these fine gun makers as to cost and turn-around time on a similar piece, $8000.00 CAD and 6 months. Beautiful work indeed. Mine will be ready, RH version in .223 sometime in May.

Enjoy

Jerry

I've been looking at that rifle for about a month now. It's about perfect!

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Mini-Mauser above is beautiful in it's lines. Below is mine in .223 AI as built by James Anderson of Newell, SD. It shoots like it looks. The furniture is AAA American walnut.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by goodnews; 02/03/09.
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 45 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.