Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
So is McMillan inletting for the new center-feed detachable magazine and hinged floorplate from Savage yet? If so I need to get an order in!

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
OK, does this lack of responses mean no or that ya'll have no clue?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just read a post a few minutes ago about a member getting one for his wife's center feed Savage.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I found my answer elsewhere...

According to the information I found McMillan presently only offers stocks for the center feed blind magazine. The only exception being you can get an A5 setup for the detachable mag (DM) or hinged floor-plate (HFP). This really doesn't surprise me as the depth of the belly is now critical with these two magazine options, and they'd likely have to alter the stock design & molds accordingly.

Savage isn't helping things either with how they're trickling out one small change a year rather than doing it all in one shot. Two years ago it was the change to the short-action screw spacing to accommodate the new bottom metal on the DM and HFP bottom metal, this year it was the new center feed blind magazines, and next year (2008) it will be the implementation of the new bolt release system (which has been in the works for nearly 3 years now).

It's easy to see why few of the aftermarket stock makers have bothered to modify their designs yet for the new stuff as it's still evolving. Unfortunately though, Savage's process means there are going to be a couple years of bastard guns out there you won't be able to get stocks for....those with the old-style flag bolt release and center feed DM or HPF magazines.

I will say though that it's about dmn time Savage got rid of that ugly flag-lever bolt release setup. For those who haven't seen the new system, here's a photo. The right rear of the action will no longer have a machined flat, and the bolt-release is a stylish button that's part of the front of the trigger guard. (Just ignore the fugly engraving and gold highlights...I've already chastised Ron Coburn and Brian Herrick for screwing the pooch on the 50th Anniversary Model 110's.)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So I could get The Sako 75 or Sako 75 Hunter design stock to replace the factory one in edge technology? Could I also get it in a swirl pattern??

IC B2

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
No to the Edge with swirls, paint only.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So the lightest weight McSwirl stock I could get will weigh 32oz, unless I went with a Standard paint job Edge?

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yup.

That's about it.

RB

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rick

I was just looking around the Campfire Gear Shop and noticed that the HTG (M40A1) stocks are offered with Edge Technology for Remingtons and Savages but not Winchesters. This would be a great stock for the "heavy barreled lightweight" rifle I have in mind that will be based on a M70 action. Is it an option I can order?

Thanks, Gord

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rem Classic, 13.375 LOP, factory mag b/c, factory bdl floorplate, 1" decelerator, standard fill that weighs exactly 33 oz is going on my 700 SPS SS 257 Roy....

Rick, thanks for this thread and also for looking thru your stuff for me...

Marty

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

D
D
I'm in the process of buildng up several "lifetime" hunting rifles that once built, will hopefully last a lifetime without additional work except for rebarreling. Long-term durability in fairly hard hunting conditions and standing up to lots (tens of thousands of rounds) of shooting over a lifetime are high on my priority list. Durability wise, does a magnum or sniper fill buy me more durability in the long run?

Does a standard fill buy more durability than an Edge fill, again, in the long-term?

I won't say that weight is not a concern but it is a far removed concern next to durability and accuracy. A finished rifle in the 8.5-10 lb range is fine for my needs.

Everything will be professionally pillar bedded.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by DavidPennington; 09/27/08.
C
C
Does Mcmillan make the tactical grip on their classic stocks instead of the checkering? This picture is what i am trying to get on a standard classic remington stock. I am trying to replace a LA CDL stock.

[Linked Image]

Canoli

Last edited by canoli; 11/20/08.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Our classic stocks have checkering not texture. The only stock that has texture that has the most sporter look to it in our tactical stocks would be the HTG.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has probably already been touched on, but. Can the "standard fill" be had for MAGNUM cal's(375 & 416 Ruger). And would there be any difference in the stock strength with this fill?
Rifle in question will either be a 375 or 416 Ruger Alaskan. Thanks wink

Taking my rifle for a walk
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Those calibers must get a Mag Fill or Sniper fill.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't mean to offend by this comment... But... What makes a stock worth $500+? I see the B&C Fiberglass stocks at less than $200. ?? Never seen a McMillian in person as my hunting partners are cheap! : ) I guess my real question is why a McMillian and why are they so expensive?

I am looking to build a custom rifle and exploring stock options...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rem Varmint pattern with gel-coat, SA700 BDL, 1" Decelerator, 13.25 LOP, Krieger Heavy Palma inlet, sniper fill. Weight is 44oz. Hadn't seen many stats on this pattern, so I figured I'd add it to the thread.

Now with even more aplomb
A
Ak1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My old pre-64 .375 has a McMillan stock and seldom wears a scope. The custom Mod. 70 .338 I do most all of my hunting with wears a 21 oz. Bansner's. Unless one needs it for balance or to tame recoil I see no need to put a heavy stock on a hunting rifle you are carrying all day. I guess I would be looking at a Bansner's or Edge stock if I needed another synthetic.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I placed on order by phone on May 10th directly to McMillan for a new stock.

I can't wait for it to be shipped to my gunsmith for bedding.

It is a Ruger Classic a McSwirly (50% black/50% white) with stainless sling studs, standard 13.5 lop, and Pachmayr recoil pad.

This will be my first McMillan stock. Up to now I was using HS Precision stocks.

The stock is going on a newly re-barreled Ruger 77 MK/II that has a new 24" Hart stainless #3 barrel chambered in 6.5x55.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/09/11.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I just got off the phone with Dick Davis at McMillan (he sounds great!), and he clarified for me the issue of fill weights for McMillan hunting stocks.

The straight skinny is as follows:

McMillan hunting stocks come in three fill weights, and three fill weights only:

1] Magnum fill (for magnum calibers)

2] Standard fill (will weigh 2 to 2.25 pounds)

3] EDGE technology.

That's it. Bottom line.

"Light as possible for caliber" gets standard fill.

"KS" or "kevlar" fill gets standard fill.

Magnum, standard, EDGE. Them's the choices.

The shopping cart here has been modified accordingly.

Rick

So their CZ Express stock for the CZ 550 Magnum action should be their heaviest? Is it a significant step up from the CZ Bell & Carlson synthetic stock? I have a 500 Jeffery I want to be able to take to Alaska when I go back in a few years, so will swap out the wooden stock for the trip, then swap back. With the 500 Jeffery, heavy is good ... smile

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.