Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What are all the options for 700 clones on the market (specifically those designed to drop into stocks inletted for a 700). Looking for actions suitable for a hunting rifle, not benchrest/single shot actions. I'm considering building 1 "do everything" rifle. (blasphemous! i know) What personal experience do you have with these actions and are they worth the extra expense as opposed to using a donor 700 action and having someone like kampfeld true it/flute bolt/knob etc? Also, what are the websites for these manufacturers? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Borden Rifles has the Timberline and Alpine. Phoenix Machine has a new 700 clone as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 3 alpines and could not be happier. They all dropped right into McSwirly.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Borden,Stiller,phoenix,Pierce,and Surgeon Has a new stainless version that has a one piece bolt,with screw on lower handle that will be out in a few weeks,for around $700.00 if you hurry you might be able to get in on the first run!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went threw the research and ended up ordering a Borden Timberline. From what I could gather they are all very good actions. I went with the Borden first from the recommendation of the gunsmith who is doing the work and second Jim is a heck of a nice guy on the phone.

I was thinking real hard about the new surgeon round action but the first run is going to be short action only.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
http://viperactions.com/

http://www.bordenrifles.com/

http://www.batmachine.com/

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/products.html

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/new-products/

My only customs are a pair of Bordens a Timberline and a Alpine Mag,attention to detail is an understatement,the custom actions with the tighter bolt tolerences will help with accuracy!
http://www.boltactions.net/index.php

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your really going to Like your Timberline,what Cal are you building?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is the advantage of one of these actions over a blue printed & tuned 700 action?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its going to be a .280AI

Its going to be a long 5 months

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Can't go wrong with the Borden or Pierce. I also have high hopes for the surgeon too.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by SuperCub
What is the advantage of one of these actions over a blue printed & tuned 700 action?

In theory it is a better investment/product. Why pay $400 for a donor action and then another $300 to true it when you can buy a better action that does not need any work for the same $700 investment. When the action is ordered you will be able to add some options with no added cost. If I had a donor action collecting dust I would use it, but if buying for the purpose of a build I would probably just go with a custom.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a nutshell, the Borden action is a lot tighter which leads for a greater accuracy potential. A 700 would have to be sleeved to get anywhere near the same dimensions. By the time you go through all the steps required to bring a 700 up to those specs the cost difference would be small. Borden places a Sako extractor and plunger in the correct position for better function. You could get an aftermarket bolt, like a PTG, but there again the cost starts to add up by the time you ream the bolt raceway, fit the new bolt, add a new handle and time the action. Another consideration is what is the rifle worth with a fully modified 700 compared to a custom action on a rifle should you ever decide to sell it. I'm not trying to say that a 700 needs all that work to make them shoot because that would be complete BS. I have 2 700's that have custom tubes and the only mods were truing up the bolt face, action face and lugs and they both shoot tiny little groups.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The Borden actions have much improved fire control system which minimizes drag which help keep vibrations at a minimum,Bolt tolerences in my opinion help eliminate those unexplained flyers you sometimes get with a factory 700, I personally like the looks of the Borden actions over most clones,The machining is incredible, Jim takes alot of pride in the stuff he sends out,the actions are incredibly smooth ,my 300WM is very accurate and consistant!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I built my 280AI on the Bordens Rimrock action and I'm now building a 6.5STW on the Timberline action,both a fine actions for a Custom rifle.Jim and his wife Joan are wonderful to work with.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Super cub,
You cannot duplicate a custom, a squared receiver has no more resale than a stock receiver, and if you duplicate as much as possible, it will cost more money than a custom.
#1 donor receiver $350
#2 machine receiver the right way $200
#3 Kiff bolt, fluted, bolt handle, bolt handle labor, firing pin assembly, extractor kit, and ejector kit $250.
#4 Custom bolt release installed $100
You might cut a very little from this, but this is as close as you can get to a clone.
I know because I have done it. If you substitute anything I have listed above, it will not be similar to a clone.
Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/07/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.