Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
BTW, a comment was made earlier the President serves us not we serve him. WRONG!!! The military serves our country as does the President. The President is elected by the people. He is the Commander-in-Chief of the military. The military serves under his command or direction as we do a higher ranking person. It is part of the checks and balances our country was founded with. Would I want to serve under the current President? No way! I didn't like serving under slick Willie either. If the President wasn't in charge Gen. MacArthur or Gen. Wesley Clark wouldn't have been relieved of command. BTW, how bad do you screw up to have slick Willie relieve you of command?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by rrroae
but I still think it's an idiotic rule to have to salute any officer under O-3, especially by a NCO.

Why don't we let an NCO answer this for us, and see what they have to say? When I was a junior officer, I considered it an honor when a Senior Enlisted man saluted me. No Officer worth his salt would be ANYTHING without the mentoring of their Senior Enlisted. And that is what you are clueless about. I can't help the ego. I'm very proud of what I've done. Sorry if that offends you. jorge

I'm an active duty Chief Petty Officer and I have mentored many junior Officers. I don't mind saluting officers. How would it look if one of my junior sailors saw me blow off a salute? You have to lead by example.
Clint

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Clintk, I salute you. Leading from the front and by example is the only way. Unfortunately I saw it less and less before I retired. Dave

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For the military or ex-military, would you help round up guns if ordered by Obama? Would you help round up dissenters who did not vote for him?

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
From DAY ONE, BASIC TRAINING. I was taught to respect the rank and salute all OFFICERS. From that day on, I saluted EVERY OFFICER, I EVER MET! NOT ONCE, DID I EVER GET A NEGATIVE RESPONCE.
KEPT MY AZZ out a bunch of trouble I guess. I saluted outside the PX, NCO CLUB, Barber shop, AND every where else on base, an officer was engaged. EXCEPT the FLIGHT LINE, WHERE a SALUTE was not reccomended, But most of the CREWCHEIFS would give a going away or departure salute, to to the pilot and his aircraft and its mission.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
rrroae, first I have to point out Jorge didn't identify himself as a Mustang. As I already expected he never wore his enlisted time on his sleeve. I agree some of the very best officers came from enlisted ranks but not only from there. The best not only earn respect they give it back too. You still respect the uniform even if not the pserson in it.

Why does an E-8 salute an O-1? Because military tradition and regulations say to. If you don't like the rules we shouldn't have enlisted is what they told us in basic training. I'm a retired E-8. I never had a problem saluting. Then again while I'm not huggable I'd say most of the officers I served with respected me or at least the job I did.

We salute for the same reason the Navy and Air Force personel learn to march. It builds structure, military bearing, disipline. It's a part of the military.

lol

Ok, I can respect that even if the regulation gets under my skin.

I still reserve the right to bitch and moan now that I'm out.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
WHERE DO I ENLIST PRETAINING TO THE LAST COUPLE POST? SIGHN ME UP!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
rrroae, a bitchin' troop is a happy troop. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lolol

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As an enlisted member it matters not if the officer is boot fresh or a seasoned officer, you are saluting the rank that man/woman is wearing and you'll possibly learn to respect them more as you get to know them as a person. I am fortunate that I worked for very few officers I didnt like, I'm a retired OS1(SW) USN. as for saluting the O-3 and below, I've worked with a lot of mustangs and warrants that fit that ranking and I'd go to war with most of them.

Last edited by chrissum; 02/08/09.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Our protocal was about the same; no saluting on the flight line, in the hanger, or on the perimeter. The CO was saluted anytime in the company area; other officers only in front of the orderly room or around battalion headquaters, PX etc. We crewchiefs were on the aircraft when taking off.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mountainclmbr
For the military or ex-military, would you help round up guns if ordered by Obama? Would you help round up dissenters who did not vote for him?

I'm retired but still part of the West Virginia militia and the US militia. I will defend the US and WV constitutions. That means no, I will not help or support disarming our country.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The UCMJ requires you to obey all LAWFUL orders; disarming American citizens would NOT be lawful.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So, again I ask to military personnel, if you will salute someone who obviously despises you...would you follow their orders that are unconstitutional, immoral and against your values?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So, again I ask to military personnel, if you will salute someone who obviously despises you...would you follow their orders that are unconstitutional, immoral and against your values?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Because the military regulation states all members of the military salute the President. Members of the military only have to follow legal and binding orders. The President ordering the military to disarm the country is like him ordering them to shoot you. It's not a legal order.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Members of the US military are trained and are not mindless robots. The higher the rank, enlisted or officer, the more responsibility and training they get. There is a chain of command. If the President gave an unlawful order it would not get followed. There are checks and balances.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
rrroae, first I have to point out Jorge didn't identify himself as a Mustang.

Dave: Appreciate the compliment but I'm not a Mustang in the exact sense of the word. I did my short time as an enlisted man, got out went to school and came in as an officer. At least in the navy, the true definition of a Mustang is one who came up through the ranks without broken service, and usually a "Limited Duty Officer" or LDO. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whew!!!! This thread sure as hell got legs. I saluted lots of officers who were still (only)slightly more capable than a turnip. If one failed to return a salute with no good reason, I did bring it up that military courtesy works both ways. I spent most of my time in a combat zone and saluting was generally frowned on there as it was painting a target on a guy. Stupid ANYBODY didn't last very long over there. Respect was shown but in different ways. If I were in service now, I'd prefer that Obama NOT salute me. If a salule is returned to me, I rather know it is MEANT not merely done.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.