Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 2 bits says the .300 Wthby is the catsass and if your recoil sensitive you can always make it under perform and load it down a couple hundred fps to make it perform like the winny. but I think you'll turn out better buying it outright and then selling your's outright online than you will trading it off.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GF1
The short magnum business really is an oxymoron. The point of shorter cartridges in a hunting rifle is making up a lighter and handier rifle via a shorter action wedded to a lighter barrel. The short magnums really need a longer barrel, and the rifles need to weigh 8 1/2# or more to accomodate the barrel length, as well as recoil.

A short action matched with a light short rifle fit; the short magnums simply don't.

You are simply wrong here. As Brad said the Short mags are available in well designed rifles with good recoil pads that are quite comfortable to shoot. The short action also makes a difference in overall length of rifle. Here's a Mato 270 Winchester with 24" barrel next to a Kimber 8400 270 WSM:

[Linked Image]

The Kimber is a couple pounds lighter and is much nicer to carry. Some people will prefer the heavier rifle as feeling more comfortable and stable to shooot. If I'm walking much the lighter easy handling Kimber WSM is MUCH MUCH nicer to be humping up and down hills.
And anyone who doesn't think that the WSM's offer magnum ballistic performance doesn't know how to read a ballistics chart.................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get the new Vanguard, it has a better trigger.

Talk about recoil, Why? Get one of those Sharp Shooter Magnum Rifle Rests from Cabelas $99.99. Do all your load testing and playing with one of them with your forend clamped in solid!!! I did it with my 264 last season. Point of impact did not change when put on sandbags. It makes a handy tool to hold rifle for cleaning and scope mounting. Best $100 I ever spent for shooting.
It eliminates pulled shots as it holds the crosshair solid without any movement. You still get some kick but not like off the sandbags.

Never have noticed any recoil when shooting at a deer or elk.

Sandbags like a poor orgasm. Rifle rest listed above is like your best 10 combined.

Last edited by sweetsues; 02/11/09.

Jimbob
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I was 24 and 155 lbs of muscle I would shoot 5 or 6 rifles off the bench rests. Probably 35-40 shots from magnums. Never got sore. Now at 71 the $99.99 REST is a real shoulder saver and no flinches.

Jimbob
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think I'm going to wait and see what happens. As I said before I just picked up a 257 wby this past December and I've wanted it for a very long time. I probably won't be wanting to shoot anything else for awhile. I already know it shoots decent with the few loads that I've worked up for it and I want to do alot more load testing with it. I also have a Timney trigger ordered for it too. I don't have the attention for a new gun right now anyway. Thanks for the input from everybody.....that's what I love about the campfire!
The 300 wsm shoots very well right out of the box. Before I got it I had several guys tell me that the 300 wsm kicked like a mule. I've taken my 300 to the range several times now and shot 40 to 60 rounds at a session and had no problems or soreness from recoil. Remington has Limbsaver make their recoil pads so I think maybe that has alot to do with the lack of recoil I thought it had?? I did run into a guy at the range shooting a browning a-bolt 300 wsm and he told me his rifle had heavy recoil until he put on a limbsaver recoil pad.
When I decide to get the 300 wby. I'm going to a discount store and pick up a 399 vanguard. Then Im going to jump on line and buy a B & C Medallist stock with aluminum bedding block ($244) and a Timney trigger($110) and I'll still be below the price big green wants for its top end model 700's.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey brian, do they still have that M700 gray lam/stainless 338RUM on the shelf there? (used)

that one really had my attention, price was very good, condition was excellent.

if it had been 338WM instead, It would have went home with me.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Vanguard in .300 Roy and love it. I don't think the recoil is that bad. The heavier bullets can be pretty stiff, but no worse then in a .300 Win Mag. Its just not that bad.
Factory ammo is all over the place. Weatherby has more loads for the .300 Wby then any other Wby round, something like 10 differnt bullets and loads. Price isn't that bad either. Heck the other day I picked up Hornady custom with the 150 grain interbond for $39.99. If you reload the options are endless.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I used the Hornady 180 interlocks last year in CO for elk.

Kilt em deader than heck & they shoot better than anything I have tried so far in my 300WBY. At the time I think I got mine for about $33 a box, I don't think that's bad for a big magnum.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Brian if you are going to add the B&C anyway just buy the sub moa, it comes with that stock and it's a guaranteed shooter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last month I finished building my .300 Weatherby. It will be my primary elk rifle. I didn't really need it as I have killed almost 3 dozen elk with lesser calibers, but I got it because I've always wanted one. Yesterday I took it to the range and shot a 4 shot group with 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets that measured 0.76" at an average 10' velocity of 3180 fps. [Linked Image]
It's a Vanguard with a 24" barrel that I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake. I stocked it in AA Fancy Claro walnut. It's glass and pillar bedded with the barrel channel glassed and free floated. I worked on the trigger, including polishing the trigger and sear and adjusted it to a crisp 2 1/2 pound break. I also installed a Limbsaver pad and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I topped it with a 4-12x Leupold. It weighs 10 pounds, but that's the same as several of my other hunting rifles that I've carried up many sheep and goat mountains and the plains of South Africa. Felt recoil is about like a .308 Win that I used to have in a M77 Ruger.

It's my new most favorite rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buffybr that is a SWEET rig!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by buffybr
Last month I finished building my .300 Weatherby. It will be my primary elk rifle. I didn't really need it as I have killed almost 3 dozen elk with lesser calibers, but I got it because I've always wanted one. Yesterday I took it to the range and shot a 4 shot group with 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets that measured 0.76" at an average 10' velocity of 3180 fps. [Linked Image]
It's a Vanguard with a 24" barrel that I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake. I stocked it in AA Fancy Claro walnut. It's glass and pillar bedded with the barrel channel glassed and free floated. I worked on the trigger, including polishing the trigger and sear and adjusted it to a crisp 2 1/2 pound break. I also installed a Limbsaver pad and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I topped it with a 4-12x Leupold. It weighs 10 pounds, but that's the same as several of my other hunting rifles that I've carried up many sheep and goat mountains and the plains of South Africa. Felt recoil is about like a .308 Win that I used to have in a M77 Ruger.

I really like that.

where did you get the stock?

I have my 300wby req filled but i could easily see myself doing something like this in a 257.

I like that stock.

where can i get one?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
PS a 180 @ 3180 with 24" of tube is impressive. especially when it holds that tight at that speed.

nice

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need I say more a 300 WSM is a 300 Weatherby wannabee!

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Heck the other day I picked up Hornady custom with the 150 grain interbond for $39.99.

You're glad to pay $2 a round for 150gr hornady bullets!???

Dang I'm glad I reload.........................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

What a bunch of Hooey.

Load 180 Accubonds in each. Site in at 200 and shoot an animal at 300yds. The Weatherby will hit with 2650ftlbs of energy and the WSM will hit 1" lower with 2300ftlbs of energy. There isn't an animal in the world that it would make a difference on.

The biggest difference is that the WSM will do it with a rifle that weighs 2lbs less , kicks less, that's 3" shorter and burns 15-20grs less powder.

The difference is in the rifles that shoot them more than the rounds.

I own a couple very nice 300 Weatherby's but I'm not silly enough to think that it's a much more powerful gun than a 300 WSM.........................DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Load 180 Accubonds in each. Site in at 200 and shoot an animal at 300yds. The Weatherby will hit with 2650ftlbs of energy and the WSM will hit 1" lower with 2300ftlbs of energy.

That's what I said

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you think the results between the two will be any different you aren't thinking. Either will result in the same dead animal....................................DJ

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by buffybr

I really like that.

where did you get the stock?

I have my 300wby req filled but i could easily see myself doing something like this in a 257.

I like that stock.

where can i get one?

Looks like a Richards Microfit to me. Very retro 1950's American custom. I'm more into the early German Engish classic styling myself, but it does have a very cool look to it.

Terry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think you'll find a bigger 300 Weatherby fan than me. It's my favorite caliber and it kills very efficiently. It's a big rifle though, 26" barrel, etc. The WSM, although I don't own one, makes a lot of sense. Smaller, lighter package with an almost equal punch. If you don't handload, Wby ammo is very expensive due to it's foreign manufacture.

WSM ammo is I believe, less costly. The Weatherby probably handles 200gr & bigger bullets better. It's a good caliber, but I'll stick with my Weatherby. Now if some day I was lucky enough to hunt Marco Polo sheep, I can't think of a better round to build a light rifle that could reach out with authority than a 300 WSM. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.