Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by GF1
The short magnum business really is an oxymoron. The point of shorter cartridges in a hunting rifle is making up a lighter and handier rifle via a shorter action wedded to a lighter barrel. The short magnums really need a longer barrel, and the rifles need to weigh 8 1/2# or more to accomodate the barrel length, as well as recoil.

A short action matched with a light short rifle fit; the short magnums simply don't.

You are simply wrong here. As Brad said the Short mags are available in well designed rifles with good recoil pads that are quite comfortable to shoot. The short action also makes a difference in overall length of rifle. Here's a Mato 270 Winchester with 24" barrel next to a Kimber 8400 270 WSM:

[Linked Image]

The Kimber is a couple pounds lighter and is much nicer to carry. Some people will prefer the heavier rifle as feeling more comfortable and stable to shooot. If I'm walking much the lighter easy handling Kimber WSM is MUCH MUCH nicer to be humping up and down hills.
And anyone who doesn't think that the WSM's offer magnum ballistic performance doesn't know how to read a ballistics chart.................................DJ

This argument is as silly as the debate over 9mm vs. 45 auto. Short magnums don't do anything a standard caliber hasn't done or even done better ballistically for years.

This picture is evident of that. The two rifles don't have the same barrel length, so you can't say that you are saving in weight due to the shorter action. Look at the actions and you can see less than 1 inch in length difference.

The weight save in a short action is in the middle of the action where the least amount of steel is removed. The difference in case length between a 300 Winchester short mag (2.1 inch) VS. a 300 Weatherby Mag.(2.815 inch) is a whopping .715 inches.

In terms of weight, when you take .715 inches of steel out of the center of the action (because the overall action in front and rear needs the same steel for bolt and lugs) you are only talking a couple of ounces of weight.

Now if you can tell the difference in the weight for that couple of ounces of steel and the stock (as you have added stock material to handle that extra .715 inches of action), fine, you are welcome to that.

Most of the people comparing short magnum rifles to standard rifles are using the concept of a "Mountain Rifle" which has been cut down in weight for carrying in the mountains and needs to be light. The same can be done in weight savings on a standard caliber and the only difference comes down to the .715 inches. That is all you are saving.

If you happen to like all that load of marketing crap to sell new ideas on an old and proven caliber/rifle, so be it, go and get one. When it comes to preferring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich over Ham and Cheese, that is personal preference, just the same as a short magnum preferred over a standard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're glad to pay $2 a round for 150gr hornady bullets!???

Dang I'm glad I reload.........................DJ

I reload as well. I just didn't happen to have any put together and wanted to shoot my Wby that morning. So yeah I was glad to pay the money. Similar stuff for the WSM was running $35.99 I guess I don't think the extra $4 is that big of a ball buster. Maybe thats just me.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by buffybr
Last month I finished building my .300 Weatherby. It will be my primary elk rifle. I didn't really need it as I have killed almost 3 dozen elk with lesser calibers, but I got it because I've always wanted one. Yesterday I took it to the range and shot a 4 shot group with 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets that measured 0.76" at an average 10' velocity of 3180 fps. [Linked Image]
It's a Vanguard with a 24" barrel that I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake. I stocked it in AA Fancy Claro walnut. It's glass and pillar bedded with the barrel channel glassed and free floated. I worked on the trigger, including polishing the trigger and sear and adjusted it to a crisp 2 1/2 pound break. I also installed a Limbsaver pad and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I topped it with a 4-12x Leupold. It weighs 10 pounds, but that's the same as several of my other hunting rifles that I've carried up many sheep and goat mountains and the plains of South Africa. Felt recoil is about like a .308 Win that I used to have in a M77 Ruger.

It's my new most favorite rifle.

I really like that.

where did you get the stock?

I have my 300wby req filled but i could easily see myself doing something like this in a 257.

I like that stock.

where can i get one?

Looks like a Richards Microfit to me. Very retro 1950's American custom. I'm more into the early German Engish classic styling myself, but it does have a very cool look to it.

Terry

I really like it, it says weatherby but it's the anti-bling version.

I'll have to PM buffybr & get the lowdown.

like i said, i would like to do that with a vanguard in 257

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you think the results between the two will be any different you aren't thinking. Either will result in the same dead animal....................................DJ

The owner of a 30 06 could tell you the same thing.

NRA Lifetime Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian
Actually deer for the most part, but I keep telling myself I'm going elk hunting one of these days.

Why don't you get a 308 Win for deer hunting and a 300 WBY "just in case" for elk?

I can't fathom shooting MN deer in the woods with a 300 Wby, but that's just me.

Brad, not Minnesota but I've shot deer with a 300 Roy in Wisc at about 12 yards............grin

The flat trajectory really helped out grin

Now the 308 Montana gets the woods nod.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot deer with a 300 Roy in Wisc at about 12 yards............ The flat trajectory really helped out grin

Now that right there is priceless...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
this has been a great article to read, much more entertaining then a pair of range dorks nit picking every little detail only to come to a conclusion ya'll did in one sentence.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'll just say follow your heart. You've gotten some good arguments, and some not so good.

I've had both and the Weatherby is now gone. Mine is not a fair comparison, a MK-V vs a custom Remington. The Weatherby did not shoot particularly well and the Remington shoot extremely well. I could not get my handloads to shoot as good as the Weatherby ammo either. The first and only time that this has ever happened. For a while the WSM's looked to be on the extinction list but the 300 WSM seems to be doing ok. When I had my MK-V Weatherby/Norma was the only game in town for ammo. Now there are a few more choices although I expect the Weatherby/Norma stuff to be better quality.

Good Luck with your decision!

lightman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I actually had a 300wby back when this thread originated... 10 damn years ago.. I still prefer that over the wsm. But would take a 30-06 over either one, personally.... Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.