Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm a non-resident with five points. I know the odds of the good units are very low (1:50 or worse in most cases). I've read about the top units like San Juan. I read about the Spider bull.

I prefer to hunt simply: by myself, without horses and guides if possible, and away from roads a mile or two on foot. I doubt I'd have more than five days to scout. Simply stated, what units do you recommend applying for that might be good units, but easier to draw, and reasonable chances of finding elk?

I dont' really care if my elk is 350+, but it would be nice to know some nice elk are around.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Your odds are much better if you put in on the muzzloader tags instead of the rifle tags and put in for the eary muzzloader not the late muzzloader tags for better success. The muzzy early hunts start at the peak of the rut and are great even though they start right after the rifle hunts end. I would suggest these early muzzloader hunts. You will be waiting a long time still for a rifle tag in these units.

Book cliffs/bitter creek (not the roadless unit)
Central mountains Manti
Monroe
South Cache
Deep creek

Last edited by Timberbuck; 02/04/09.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You are right about the SanJuan, you will never draw this tag in your lifetime or the pahvant but it is just as well because you would get bullied off any decent bull by Doyle Moss and his henchmen anyway (you notice any spider bull pics. have the Mossback logo).
Utah has some great Elk hunting where for the most part you wont have to deal with Doyle and his gangsters, I agree with the previous poster except on the Deep Creek range. the Deep Creek range does have some nice bulls but most of the great ones are on Indian land. also you might want to consider central mts-Nebo or Wasatch Mtns.
B

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My buddy got a 350 plus gross on the deep creek last year (muzzloader). Lot of 330 class bulls around.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just about any LE draw unit can produce a very respectable bull. We have gotten spoiled with all the 380-400 class bulls. Finding a 330-350 is very doable on all units.

The Three Corners area near Dutch John Utah is an easy hunt. I have helped several folks pack elk off that hill. There are several old fire roads/loggin roads that cris cross the mountain. They are all gated and closed. No vehicles are allowed. But it makes for easy walking, or in my case horse ride. You don't have to go to far away from where you park to find the elk. And it has a high success rate during the limited entry hunts. A large section of that area burned off in 1998-99 and it opened up some large burn units the elk like to hang out in. Which puts them out in open.

I've got 14 points and can't seem to draw. so don't get your hopes up just yet.

IC B2

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Where is the Deep Creek area you're referring to?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bob33
Where is the Deep Creek area you're referring to?

Bob,
The Deep Creek range is in a very isolated area, the nearest town you will find on a map is Wendover Nevada. the Deep Creek range is south of Wendover but just east of the Nevada border.
It is a very unique Mountain range for several reasons, but the one that really intrigues me is the fact that it is the only major mountain range in Utah that is not part of any National Forest. It is solely administered by the BLM.
The BLM just does a casual drive -by on the archery and muzzleloader hunts but on the Rifle hunt every BLM fish pig in the western U.S. is out on this range.
If you are hunting Deer they seem to be mostly on the public land through most of the hunts, if you are hunting Elk they are on public (BLM)land early but seem to filter to Indian land more with each passing day.
B

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok - does that make Deep Creek within the Box Elder/Pilot Mountain unit?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
no, deep creeks are to the south of pilot mountain.

I dont know about any early and late muzzy seasons spoke of above, there is an LE muzzy season, and a late general muzzy, but those are two differnt things. there is however a late rifle season.

one of the easier draws in the state is diamond mountain, it has good bulls on it, but private property holds most of the bigger ones, but guys i know that have hunted it say they see plenty of elk, just no 350+ class.

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks - "West Desert/Deep Creek" is the unit, correct?

Diamond Mountain: one of the posts mentions Dutch John, which I believe is near there? Since I'm out of state, scouting in advance for access to private land might be difficult. Any suggestions?

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Bob33
Thanks - "West Desert/Deep Creek" is the unit, correct?

Diamond Mountain: one of the posts mentions Dutch John, which I believe is near there? Since I'm out of state, scouting in advance for access to private land might be difficult. Any suggestions?

Diamond Mtn/Dutch John area are near Flaming Gorge in the extreme NE corner of Utah...
Not to discourage you...but my non res relatives have 11 pts LE elk.....still waiting......put your name in the hat....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm not discouraged by the odds. They're worse than 1:100 in many of the hunts I apply for. However, you know the odds for those that don't apply...

I just want to apply wisely, in case the 1:100 odds roll my way.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
yes west desert/deep creeks is the one.

with five, you are just gonna have to get lucky,and alot do. so you may as well get lucky on one of the best:

fillmore pahvahnt
san juan elk ridge
book cliffs little creek
monroe
south west desert

those are a few of the top units, but most units in the state hold 350+ class bulls.

edit, Bob, you say you dont need a 350+ class, then odds are, you wont get one cause you will tag out very fast on utah's elk unit's, on a bull you just cant let go, unless you have viewed many big bulls 350+ is something to behold. and all of utah's units have produced bulls of this size, so wha ti am saying is the units like diamond mountain, la'sal's may be worth looking into when you get the points to be gurenteed, till then just go for broke on the best units.

Last edited by rosco1; 02/13/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
Your odds are much better if you put in on the muzzloader tags instead of the rifle tags and put in for the eary muzzloader not the late muzzloader tags for better success. The muzzy early hunts start at the peak of the rut and are great even though they start right after the rifle hunts end. I would suggest these early muzzloader hunts. You will be waiting a long time still for a rifle tag in these units.

Book cliffs/bitter creek (not the roadless unit)
Central mountains Manti
Monroe
South Cache
Deep creek

Why not the Book Cliffs roadless unit?

Black Cows Matter!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the first post by bob33, he stated that he did not want to hunt with horses. you dont hunt elk in the Book Cliff roadless unit without horses.
B

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I ALWAYS download the raw data from the previous year. UDOW posts on their website. This give me a chance to do two things: (1) figure out how many NR tags were issued and (2) allows me to comp the random draw odds myself. The Huntin Fool only tells you was the max points are to draw, but doesn't give you the random odds. Then I can number crunch 'till my mind in numb with decisions. Some decent hunts will give you 6+% odds. The primo units are closer to 1% with some below that threshold.

I made my decisions on Thursday last week and 'aint talkin' 'till the 27th . . . .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
In the first post by bob33, he stated that he did not want to hunt with horses. you dont hunt elk in the Book Cliff roadless unit without horses.
B

Understood. Sometimes it really does work out well if a guy reads the enitire post.

About 15 minutes before I read this thread I filled out and submitted the online application for that area...for the ninth year.

Black Cows Matter!
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I ended up applying for La Sal La Sal. My odds are just a blip above zero, but that's OK.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.