Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have about 6 Lyman Tang sites on various 1899's/99's that I have purchased over the years and just picked up my first Marbles which is shown below. It got me to thinking what opinions are out there concerning the two. I really do not have one but I'm sure some of you guys probably do. This is probably on par with the argument about whether the .303 Savage is better than the 30-30 Winchester when it comes to killing deer, but I'd love to hear what people got to say.

Besides, it seems like it has been kinda slow lately and tonight I've also been trying to decide if Bushmills is better than Knob Creek. I think I'll need to do do one more taste test to reach a statistically significant conclusion. LOL!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
BP-B2

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How about which model do you prefer? My Lyman 29 1/2 seems to near the top of the list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you talking to yourself or answering yourself? Good drinks?

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lyman and Bushmills are what I would go with. Nothing wrong with Marbles and Knob Creek, either. Pretty much a matter of taste in both cases. Both sights (and both Whiskys) will get the job done. I just happen to like the Lyman, mainly for the positive locking lever of the post-#1's.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your starting Early in the day I like the bushmills in coffee, later I like either one on ice.

I like the marbles for the height locking ring.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MAC, About those sights, I like the Marbles because it is spring loaded, "Flexible." If you bump the sight it can give or move, to spring back a moment later. The Lyman sight would probably be locked in the upright position and then if the sight was bumped it could be damaged. Here's hopin' no damage occurs to either one of those sights. You've got a good looking Marbles there, you'll like it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use both, but I like the Lyman a little better because the sight can be folded down out of the way better than the Marbles. I use an O-ring to lock the elevation adjustment in place on the Lyman. I also prefer screw in apertures to the flip down insert or standard ring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I go with Romac. The Lyman 29 1/2 (with folding mini peep inside the big peep) or 30 1/2 (with removable target disc) are the best commonly available tang sights for the 99 .... because they have windage adjustment as well as elevation. They are frequently on ebay, are beginning now above $200, but are worth it. The budget choice is the Parker Hale Sportarget, also has windage, click adjustments, actually a better made sight than the Lyman but not in demand and goes much cheaper when they do, infrequently, show up for sale.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mw406
....I use an O-ring to lock the elevation adjustment in place on the Lyman. ...

Hmmm, Guess that's why this 1A I bought was "altered". I paid for a little education on this one. The flip-down was gone and it had been tapped for a set screw. Should've bought the Stroebel's first. I wondered why this was done after I discovered it was not factory. The stem and adjustment ring are snug. DonW
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like both the Marbles and Lyman sights, but im a bit more partial to Marbles, Marbles knives, Marbles safety axes, and Marbles game getters, all high quality collectables. Don

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a first variation marble. This is the only one that I have ever seen. It only has the Oct 20 03 patent date and not the November 05 date. It has some slight variations from the later one. Base is different, MSA instead of marbles etc. It is on the left in the top two pictures and the right in the last. Notice the bump under the stem is shorter in the middle picture. I am guessing this was increase to allow for more writing (extra patent date and Marble etc). I like the hard to find sights!

Blair

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For what it's worth....my gunsmith says Marble's had it all over Lyman in tang sight's.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I notice in Blair's bottom picture that the base on the right side seems to have been dressed down a bit on its right side. Was this done to adjust windage rather than hammering away on the front sight?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little off topic but does anyone that has a Lyman stem wanna swap for a Marbles stem? Screw in aperture type preferred (aperture not necessary) but a fold down works to.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bidding ended today for one similar to mine on Gunbroker. It sold for $225. They seem to be getting pricey, although this one still had the box.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123305185

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what I'm up to this year so far. Some harder to find ones, the Lyman 1A's I don't keep to long, same with Marbles S1's except for the two pictured but they have alot of condition so I keep those two. The ones normally found on Ebay don't interest me much, to easy, I like a challenge.

[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe ,

the tang sight front and center .... disc cup on backwards ?

How did you do that ?

Last edited by gd'40EG-300; 02/26/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Naw, that sights correct, it's a Savage #30 for the Savage model 29 rimfire.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joe, top left sight has two holes in the "T" at the far end. What can you tell us about that one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats the one the guy sent me that got his wires crossed.

It's a Marbles R7 for a Remington 12, I wanted a Marbles R12 for a Savage model 7, see where he got confused?

He sent me a pic of the sight stamped R12 last night, looks just like my Marbles Simplex S2 in the far right corner so I'm just gonna swap it back for that one. Hole distance is the same to, I think it was just stamped wrong.

Last edited by mad_dog; 02/26/09.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
220 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,923
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.