Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there a logical reason why no one is making and marketing extended magazines for the Remington platform of semi-automatic rifles?

There have to be many more thousands of these rifles in circulation than the AR platform. There are even some with black accessories.

Is it because of the inherent inaccuracy? With all the different calibers available, I would think the market for a 20 or 30 round magazine for a .308, .30-06, or even .243 and .223 would be there.

Plus, these rifles are relatively inexpensive. Same goes for the BAR and Win 100's...why no mags?

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
that 'family' of rifles may be fairly decent hunting guns, where you fire a few shots a season, but they are NOT designed as battle rifles. They are very difficult to field strip for cleaning. The design is not all that sturdy, nor was it intended to be.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257wby
Is there a logical reason why no one is making and marketing extended magazines for the Remington platform of semi-automatic rifles?

Will they run long enough to empty one??

As far as the AR platform, I don't know that the 742, etc., outnumber them.

I have seen extended mags offered in the past, and from what I understand, reliability could be an issue. My opinion is that there are better hi-cap platforms available, such as the FAL, M1A, and the various Kalashnikov-based rifles.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My dad used to have one. It was junk, and dug into your ribs if you carried it in a sling. His was a 10shot that you were luck if you got 7 out of. We lost the gun in a house fire, and thank God that clip went with it.

How many shots do you need? grin

The "black versions" of the 7600's, accept AR mags.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't speak to the BAR or the 7400, but the Win 100 is a POS. (Oh, I won't sell mine. I enjoy shooting it. But it's a POS.)

Hold your rifle in your hands and imagine running flat out with it in the rain with a heavy pack through muddy underbrush, then diving flat and catching yourself and your pack before impact with the butt of your rifle shoved into the mud.

If you think it could stand something like that, repeatedly, and still be relied upon not to jam when you suddenly need three or four quick shots to save your life, then maybe the rifle you're talking about has utility as a battle rifle.

Win 100? Uh, no.

Any rifle with separate wooden buttstock and forestock? Uh, no.

An AR-15 festooned with lasers and rangefinders and flashlights and scopes and GPS receivers and Internet data links? Uh, no.

Gimme my trusty M-14, with iron aperture sights, and I'll be happy.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen 10 shot magazines by Eagle and Triple-K, I think. Never paid much attention to them.

Bruce

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by 257wby

Will they run long enough to empty one??

ROTFLMAO... Well, there IS that...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Barak, you really have an M-14? A real one?

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 7400 once. I couldn't empty the 4 round mag without it jamming.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
that 'family' of rifles may be fairly decent hunting guns, where you fire a few shots a season, but they are NOT designed as battle rifles. They are very difficult to field strip for cleaning. The design is not all that sturdy, nor was it intended to be.

They have hard enough time not jamming with the regular mags, I would have a hard time seeing them functioning reliably with a 20 rd mag...........

I got some hilarious stories of my dad and the two years he carried a 742 elk hunting..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I just bought 3 of the 10 round Eagle mags hoping they will run in a 7600. That's the model for accuracy and reliability. Not saying it's a battle rifle by a long shot, but I'd put more trust in mine than any Remmy/Winny jam-o-matic I've seen.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They do make 10 round mags for the 7400, and they suck. I couldn't get one to work, tried three.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I've never seen them...I stand corrected.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Hey Barak, you really have an M-14? A real one?

As far as you know I do, yes.

Not an M-14E, though: it's not full-automatic. Which is good. I've tried it on jackass full-auto a couple of times, and it's nowhere near as effective.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
I just bought 3 of the 10 round Eagle mags hoping they will run in a 7600. That's the model for accuracy and reliability. Not saying it's a battle rifle by a long shot, but I'd put more trust in mine than any Remmy/Winny jam-o-matic I've seen.

The 760-series rifles are a much better choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remmy Semi is known in these parts as a Minnesota Machine Gun. 'Hate to burst anyone's bubble, and it's all ready been said-they're just not a very good gun. Heavy, inaccurate, and prone to jamification. Lots of jamification. Grab a decent bolt gun, slow down a bit, quit taking running shots, and you'll fill more tags. The Remmy Semi as a battle rifle? There's many better options.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My stepdad had an M-14. I can say this cuz he's dead now. I don't know what happened to it. Full auto was cool but w/o the bipod it was uncontrolable. I've cut trees down with it.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

The 760-series rifles are a much better choice.
Than the 7600 or than the 740/7400?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My stepdad had an M-14. I can say this cuz he's dead now. I don't know what happened to it
whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My stepdad had an M-14. I can say this cuz he's dead now. I don't know what happened to it
whistle

Really I do laugh
That and the Model 12 with the bayonet lug.
We weren't close.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
188 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.