Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Not to hijack the thread but......

Skane,

I enjoyed meeting your dad and spending a morning with him,I told him it would be a little like going on vacation and doing 'The Dolphin Experience',except it would be 'The Redneck Experince'.

He is a fine gentleman,I have never seen a man practice safer gun handling,I told him to come back again,maybe you can too. Rednecks need the PR. grin

He got some pretty cool pix,maybe you can post them for him when he gets home.

Now..... back to FN and their new trigger,it feels very good out of the box,mine is about 3.5 lbs and is a pleasure.

Brit-
My dad had a great time and said you were quite hospitable and a true gentleman. Thanks for taking the time - wonderful gesture on your part. I'm sure he'll post a couple picts of the pig hunt. (or I'll put them up) I loved the pict of the dogs in kevlar vests!!! It's my hope they don't convey their safety secrets to the deer.

He (Whelen Nut) is definitely a man of safety as it pertains to gun handling - actually, a lot of us have to be that way when we hunt whilst having a "hot chamber".... laugh

Bob-
You likely no longer have a need for the 7mmDakota, right?!!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=SKane] recognize the "clunkers",and get rid of them!

That is what I have been doing for the past several years. My criteria is five shots under 2" @ 200 yards on more than one outing.
If they can't do that with a hunting scope and trying several bullets, they are either sold or rebarreled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Now, now, Bob, there ain't noth'en wrong with a good WOOD stocked 270, my wooden'un shoots just like yours and has for many years!! smile smile smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pic's please

Taking my rifle for a walk
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ray: laugh I know...I love wood,and my wood stocked rifles now outnumber the synthetics. Course ther's wood and then there is WOOD!

Some of my aversion to wood is the factory stuff;not cured well,moves around,etc.But a good piece is almost like granite,and about as stable. Nothing makes me happier than a well behaved wood stock rifle.

340: Weather permitting I will take some photo's of the M70 and ask help in posting them up. I really like this rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=ruraldoc]

Bob-
You likely no longer have a need for the 7mmDakota, right?!!!!

Scott: The Dakota is my "whackadoo" rifle; not "needed" but fills some bizarre fantasy about the "perfect" 7mm Magnum. Everyone needs a rifle like that....... cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, you are indeed correct - everyone DOES need one. I want YOURS!

WWP53D
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Bob, you are indeed correct - everyone DOES need one. I want YOURS!

......geez Scott,it's barely broken in....tell ya what: You can have first dibs! Deal?

I was thinking of putting the 2.5-10X Kahles on it.. Whaddaya think?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the one truism that seems to pop out of everywhere is that a man cannot own too many .270's!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Damg Bob - just when I decided I was going on the wagon, had all the rifles I'd ever want or need...

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
cra;..........I understand smile

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah, just went over today to visit and pay for my last new rifle (I left it at the shop because the custom shop leupie is not expected until mid April.) Now I'm thinking that everybody needs a .270 and the only one I own is on (probably)permanent loan to someone who deserves it more than I do, and wouldn't a good shooting model 70 in .270 with a fixed 4X (the retro-all-around rifle) be a neat thing to have...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
cra: What, no 270's! grin It sure would be good to have! And it may be "retro"but it works,and is mostly what I hunt with.... grin

I just got back from the range where I gave the new M70 a maiden run at 300 yards (first time I've been to 300 for awhile due to snow)and a 5 shot group with handloads went into +-3.5 inches...sorta strung vertical with little horizontal disbursion but that could be me, because the group was fired field prone,which is to say, me flopped prone like I'd shoot over a log,and no rear bag.

I got a couple of pics of the rifle and group on the digital,too!

I'm encouraged so far........ smile

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I have been waiting to find an older (90's) classic model 70 featherweight in 270. Haven't found one yet that I am happy with the price. It seems to be the prefered model 70 by some. As I hear reports of the new FN Model 70 I am tempted to jump and buy one of them instead. Comparing those two options (classic model 70 from 90s or FN Model 70), any thoughts or experience someone would like to share?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the best deal with the older M70's was the foolproof Pre-64 trigger system. The new one is meant to be good but what is good on paper/out of the box might not be so in the field under extremes, especially after YEARS of constant use. Plus the older ones had NH on them grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ive owned pre-64's, NH Classics, and a SC Classic. The Classics are not pre-64's. Of the classic's I'd grab a SC and not look back. This is based on a limited sampling (3 NH, and 1 SC). My SC classic shoots like Bob's. Pick a bullet, load it up, and it shoots. No wondering or searching for that perfect load.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a deal Robert!
I could like the Kahles on top too. Just make 12.5" from the ocular rear to the back of the pad so I don't have to mess with moving the scope around. *grin*

WWP53D
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH
cra: What, no 270's! grin It sure would be good to have! And it may be "retro"but it works,and is mostly what I hunt with.... grin

I'm not knocking retro, Bob, I'm a guy who's just as likely to be carrying my .303 Savage as anything. If I'm feeling the need for a long-range flat-shooter I'm as likely to pull a 6.5X55 out of the safe as I am the .25-06AI. If you don't knock it off I'm going to (somehow) make room in the safe for a .270. What's the wood look like on the Super Grades??

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
elk: I have owned a pile of Classics(too many to count),and maybe more pre 64's.Every M70 in my safe is a pre 64,except this FN 270 FW.ALL the Classics are gone and good riddance; they were "projects in a box",as I have said before. Neither the Classic or the FN is a pre64,because rifles were just made differently back then.

The Classics can be a good rifle,but vary a great deal in accuracy quality, and functional reliability.The extractors should be changed out if you got a MIM;the barrels in many are in the receivers crooked;unless a later model with double pins, the safeties could fall out,WSM's would throw out cartridges before it was their turn in cycling.Sometimes accuracy was great sometimes not. Accuracy ranged from great to completely indifferent.

If someone good went over them,tuned them ,etc, they could be good rifles. They are not close to being a pre 64 M70.But they had the original trigger,so could be made into something nice. I would NEVER trust a large caliber Classic OOTB as a dangerous game rifle.

Yes, the trigger is sort of an issue for me and I prefer the old style;but the new FN's are more push button, better quality overall than any Classic,and since I have many pre 64's(or enough to keep me happy)I am not gonna lie awake nights worried about the trigger.Besides the only way to test the trigger is to get one and SHOOT it,hunt it and find out.If I think triggers will be an issue, I'll just grab a pre 64;and at least I know the bolt handle will stay on....

The big difference IMHO is that the QC seems better on the FN;everyone I pick up feels the same in bolt movement,trigger,safety etc.The fit and finish of the metal, the safety,and trigger,all feel the same. Judging from what I am seeing here,accuracy is uniformly better,and the barrels don't throw crazy fliers.More shooting is in order.

If the FN did not suit me,I would spend hard-earned money on a pre 64 before I spent the trumped up prices they get for Classics these days. Can't say I would not buy another Classic, but I'd plan on spending some more money to make it right...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
cra: I have only seen FW's so can't comment on the SG wood....my wood is pretty plane jane,but I really don't care because it shoots so well....there is beauty in that smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.