Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Having seen how much energy they can soak and just stand there (my cousin - a resident who meat hunts, just punches both lungs and waits for them to fall-often shooting a 2nd and 3rd shot)... wondering what shot placement others use.

Read Dogzapper post about Chub at Nosler using a 6.5 120gr killing them fast, wondered what shot placement seems best if you have the opportunity to really thread your bullet...and want to put them down ASAP.

Thanks.

Will a heart shot kill faster than lung shot?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to stop them right there shoot them through the front shoulder . 1 broad side lung shot is all it takes to kill them often the guys that keep shooting till they fall wind up pushing them in to running with the back ups. Give him one shot in the lung and more than likely he'll stand there wondering what bit him and then just dump over.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you want to stop them right there shoot them through the front shoulder . 1 broad side lung shot is all it takes to kill them often the guys that keep shooting till they fall wind up pushing them in to running with the back ups. Give him one shot in the lung and more than likely he'll stand there wondering what bit him and then just dump over.

I have found this to be true. Last years, for example, took one through both lungs and and ran into some bush. I sat down, had a cup of coffee and after about 10 minutes found him, dead, about 20 feet into the little grove of Spruce he had ran into.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I would have to imagine they cannot live much longer with one shot thru the lungs than more.....thanks guys.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd be careful with lung shots if they are close to water.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lung shots for most opportunities but a neck shot for those standing close to water or in some loaction where running a few yards would cause a problem. Although, this last fall, I shot a big bull in the neck [80 yards] with 300WSM 180 TSX and he didn't go down but stood there for the second shot.....recovered both bullets in neck muscle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had about a 10% success rate on tipping moose over with the first shot. A brain shot will both kill and drop a moose instantly, obviously. Anything else is comes with some uncertainty. (I did not say a head shot because simply shooting a moose in the head leaves A LOT of room for missing their brain - and neither dropping, stopping, nor wounding them in a manner which is rapidly lethal.) I avoid headshots except from a feet feet when dispatching them - and, avoiding an antler splaying shot, I sometimes don't successfully kill them instantly even then.

I have had three instant drops over the years. The first moose tipped right over with a soft point shot through the lungs from less than 50 yards. I don't remember how close to the heart the bullet went. It was my first big game kill and I don't remember doing any forensic analysis. I have since had a moose tip right over, not very dead, when I broke both shoulders through the humerus/scapula joints and another which disappeared from view during recoil from what I could only determine must have been the proverbial "shock". (There was no extensive bleeding nor were any bones broken, but the bullet passed near both the kidneys and the spine which dropped the animal so fast that his antlers speared the ground and his nose was skyward. It took me several minutes to find him after looking where I thought he would have gone in a wounded state, but then finally finding him right where I had last seen him. In other words, he may have lived in the awkward position as he fell and died from suffocation or a "broken neck" perhaps.)

But, generally, I simply shoot moose through the lungs and that has been a quickly lethal and very reliable way to get the animal killed. Sometimes they've moved a few yards, sometimes they simply stand around. Breaking one shoulder (or even a hind leg) may not drop them or even stop them. Spine shots have alway worked well too - at least as secondary shots. I've never aimed to hit the spine as a primary (first) shot.

While I am a dedicated "lung"er, a few things I think I've learned include these:

* Moose are not difficult to kill

* Moose make excellent bullet traps; they can stop some of the best bullets you can send their way. IOW, they are bigger and tougher than most other NA animals.

* The only really reliable way to drop a moose instantly is with a CNS shot, but CNS shots are often not simple nor is a "near miss" a reliable killing shot.

* Moose have a very large lethal killing zone: the lungs. And, short of a watery death hole possibility, it is otherwise a good place to poke them. (That's why I am a dedicated "lung"er.)

But based on why I've seen so many moose die from lung shots, it appears that they either drown in the own blood or die from bleeding out (loss of blood pressure). Either will take some time, though bigger blood-letting holes probably hasten things. I would imagine that is the answer to the question about light BT type bullets and their effects.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always go for a behind the shoulders shot if I can get it. As mentioned above, they oftentimes don't show an indication of being hit even though you "know" it was a perfectly placed shot. I have no problem of hitting them a second or third time behind the shoulder as well. IF it looks as though he's gonna move into deep water and/or a slough/pond, then I have no problem hitting him again in the shoulder to put him down right then. I don't like that shot - too much meat lost but it beats dressing him out in a muddy, no-seeum infested slough. Use a premium bullet too. Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could always aim for the shoulder and get lucky by spining him, right Wildone?

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No matter where you shoot a MOOSE in the kill zone, it takes 1 minute and 57 seconds for the moose to realize that he/she is dead and to fall over--time it next time you shoot a moose.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cdhunt
No matter where you shoot a MOOSE in the kill zone, it takes 1 minute and 57 seconds for the moose to realize that he/she is dead and to fall over--time it next time you shoot a moose.

That sounds about right. A few years ago my brother and I scored a double on moose. We were both shooting and we could hear the bullets hitting them. They just stood there and absorbed the shots. Mine had two shots through the boiler room spaced about 3 inches apart, but he finally fell when I spined him. I was shooting a 7mm Mag with a 175 Nosler Partition.

They can take a lot of lead and seem unfazed.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I agree, never heard Moose being 'hard to kill' but they do take a little while....1:57 to drop wink

My cousin talked about hating to shoot one while in any water, or going into water post shot......they do use a portable gas powered winch which seems to be a huge help, if not necessity.

Appreciate all the feedback gang.

Oh, the Bullet Trap comment...I agree, esp. after witnessing many hits on video. Never seen any other animal soak up that much impact and not even flinch....perhaps an elk with certain shots, but the Moose seemed to most often just soak up lung hits.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'd add a lot of heavy cover- and /or close to dark- and/or in rain (washes any blood trail out), to the "close to water" bit.

Having lost two lung hit moose long enough for the meat to taint (one of them for 10 days!), I am now a dedicated, but not fanatical CNS shooter when I can get it. That means a standing or slow-moving animal inside 100 yards, with me in a steady shooting position- not necssarily, but preferably with a rest, preferably sitting or kneeling. But whatever.... An accurate scoped rifle goes without saying- or should.

In more open country where recovery is near-certain I'll hang with the double lunger- they bleed out better, for a higher quality meat IMO.

CNS not "quickest kill" necessarily, but done right, they don't go anywhere but straight downS, so you do know where they are! A finishing shot - whether or not they are "dead" is highly recommended with any shot placement- and approach from behind! I've got the dirty pants to show for this advice! smile

I'll second or third the bit about- if you know you double-lunged them for a fact and they are just standing there, or walking slowly toward the nearest cover, follow up shots may just serve to spook them, so just wait - unless you have an opportunity for a good CNS shot for your second round.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hit em anywhere close or under the spine they fold pretty fast, if shot happens to hit that high.I aim behind the shoulder myself.Shoulder is not a bad choice but big bones fast bullets= huge mess more if shot at closer ranges.

Yup they can take the lead and stand like no other.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HUMP SHOT! It's the magic shot and pulls the rug out. Does not kill them just anchors them while you run up and stick the muzzle in their ear. Dead center in the hump, and you will be a coolie labourer. The next best is a Texas hart shot, they only pogo stick with front legs for a short distance. Drag useless hind legs. Forget the kill with the first shot. Always go for the anchor shot.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
R
R
I have shot more moose with a bow than a rifle. Double lung shot with complete penetration usually stops one in 100 yards or less. Taken, you don't spook them into runnig full out. I shot one in BC 20 years ago. He was a record book moose at 20 yards facing away. I made a double femoral/aorta artery shot including the liver, diaphram, both lungs from behind with a 125 grain broadhead. The guide went ape sh-t. I told him to settle down and watch. The moose went 40 yards and piled up. The guide was flaborgasted. I explained that a arrow works on hemorage not hydrostatic shock. The arrow exited the brisket. I had a fabulous blood trail. The guide was not aware that most skilled archers can shoot a 2" or less shot placement at 20 yards. I would not have recomended this for a shot longer than 20 yards. I have killed most moose with in 20 yards with a bow.

Nat Lambeth

Nathaniel G. Lambeth, Sr.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good point about spooking them - with anything.

A gun shot a archery ranges and well beyond will almost always cause them to bolt, unless anchored. Actually any untoward noise or event will- it's their first line of defense against a rushing predator - bolt first, then look around! Once 30 or 40 yards off safely, stop and figure out what's going onif nothing is still after you. I've seen several unaware (key word, that!) moose shot at distances greater than 175 yards or so, and they seemed not to react to the gunshot sound, only to the hit. In fact, I once had a horny bull come in to the sound of us setting up camp, minutes after my partner had discharged his rifle- so loud noises at distance don't seem to alarm them much. Alert them, yes.

The reflexive hind-leg kick is good too! It was only the knowledge of this reflexive action that kept me from poking a cow in the butt with my rifle barrel once, after I had spotted her standing 40 yards off with her head buried in a bush. I had to get within 7 or 8 yards to see what sex she was - and since she was that close, and still apparently sound asleep (or "hiding"?) - I figured what the heck....

I backed off at 5 feet and left her doing her thing, whatever it was. Still makes me grin.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always tell my clients to put the first shot right behind the front shoulder and when they lock up and stand there to put the next shot through the center of the neck.

I am always suspect of any moose that immediately falls over as i can virtually guarantee that the hit it too high in the hump and that it will quickly regain it's feet and be gone unless hit again in a vital area.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I disagree with advocates of hump and Texas heart shots.

The only moose I ever lost was shot in the hump. If you do not get to them immediately and put in a finisher, they can get up and leave. All you have done is knock them off their feet and caused a wound that will kill them slowly and painfully from infection.

And as far as shooting a moose in the rear just so you can later put in a finishing shot, that's just bad manners. Nobody who isn't starving needs to shoot a moose that badly. Heart/Lung shots or CNS shots for me please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Romo
You could always aim for the shoulder and get lucky by spining him, right Wildone?

still trying to figure out how you accomplished that , but hey it worked that time ! smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.