Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've seen these for years but never tried one. How does it help a shooter shoot a tighter group?

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Terry

ARIC

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It fills the web of the hand more so your trigger finger may be in a more comfortable position, same as the standard Ergo grip. The base plate never interested me.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had one of those a few years ago. I removed it after the first prone match; it's useless, to me. The palm rest actually hurt my hand holding the rifle in the prone position.

DO you have large hands and long fingers? Which position do you shoot in the most?

If you want to make the rifle look tacticool, that's the grip for you. If you want to have a match grip, there are much better designs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
the only thing that shoots a tight group is a well tuned rifle shot really steady. as far as grips go to each their own

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
the only thing that shoots a tight group is a well tuned rifle shot really steady. as far as grips go to each their own

With all due respect, a lot of things help shooters shoot tighter groups. Fit is just one aspect and that's where the question is aimed.

Terry

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Long as the rifle is the best it can be, all mods that help it fit your body naturally, without strain, are accuracy builders on the shooters end. Relaxed bodies shoot much better than tense bodies.

The bottom plate on that grip I never could see helping anyone, but I could be wrong. I've seen some "cool" shooters use it as a part rest.... tha would be bad IMHO as to the accuracy part, but this was all up close fast shooting....

As to the rest of the grip it might fit some just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Let me echo what Terry and Jeff have said. If you rifle does not fit you well you will not do well with it. Try shooting a rifle with a length of pull that is too long for you, for example.

Another great example is indeed the grip on an AR-15. The standard grip is way to small for me but does not really deter me from shooting it fine, but the grip shown above actualy hurt the side of my hand as it placed it in an unnatural position when prone. Also, I don't like finger groves, because they are never right for my hand and the grip itself is skinny. That was not conducive to good accuracy.

The grip that I have been using for the last several years is very nice as it fits me like a driving glove. It just adds to the general fit of the rifle where I simply don't think about it because it does not fight me.

I think that helps my scores.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I were to drop down from service rifle where my grip is fixed, and to shoot match rifle, I'd take a stock AR grip and drill holes in it, rough it up and go to filling it with bondo and shaping it until it worked in my hand just right. NO questions asked and it wouldn't bother me if I left it bondo pink as long as it worked...

While you can work around fit, IE service rifle you have to, its much better to make it fit you if "legal" to do so.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
M
it doesnt help.... just get an ergo grip

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

With all due respect, a lot of things help shooters shoot tighter groups. Fit is just one aspect and that's where the question is aimed.

Terry

I understand what you're saying, and like I said a well tuned rifle is what makes IT accurate. as far as the grips go, to each their own. what works for you might not work for me. my brother had a grip like this on his 6.5 grendel. it felt good to grip it, when prone it helped him, I didn't see a difference. thats why I said, to each their own. you can't put part "A" on a rifle and have it fit everyone.

IC B3

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, It looks like it might be a problem shooting anywhere except a bench. I was just curious. Thanks for your thoughts.

Terry

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The thing I dont' trust about that grip is the bottom plate. Depending on how you grip the grip, that plate can move your hand in recoil and possibly affect the shots, without it would be much better IMHO.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
the bottom plate can be adjusted IIRC. and I think it can be removed if the shooter desires. I would bet that once it was set for the owner of the rifle it would have potential to increase steadiness for some. but if the rifle is meant to be kept versatile, I wouldn't go with a grip like this. on a bench or prone rifle I can see it having advantages

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have grips like that on 2 of my ar's.
i really like them, when shooting rats, if it moves and you have to relax, just let the side of your hand rest on the bottom plate, when shooting, you don't really have to grip the grip, again lay your hand on the bottom and use only your finger to pull the trigger. the same with coyote calling, work the call with your left hand and stay ready with the right resting on the shelf.

that style of grip is really handy and hand fitting , at least to me.

different grips for different folks.
chose what fits you and what you like.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
395 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.