Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought a 338'06 A-Square barrel for an rifle and had it cut/recrowned to 22" from 24" so the muzzle is bare metal. Additionally, the high-gloss blue finish doesn't match the matte finish of the action.

I'd like to use a DIY finish like Gun Kote or Aluma-Hyde II. I've used Wheeler Engineering's Ceramikote and while it is very functional it doesn't look all that nice.

The challenge I see w/ Gun Kote is my oven... I don't know how I'd fit that barrel in there w/out leaving a mark when I bake it on. The nice thing about it is its smooth toughness.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Aluma-Hyde II. Is it as versatile as Gun Kote? I'm only doing the exterior of the barrel so self-lubrication isn't an issue. Will it go on smoothly without running?

How does the appearance compare? I'm planning to use the brushed stainless steel either way I go... do these look reasonably similar to real SS?

Thanks a lot for your input,

efw

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have thought about Cerakoating it? You know they sell this stuff to the public these days. It's not any harder to use than any other system and the results are much better. You can get it for $40 at Brownells and it's enough to do 2 guns. $20 apiece ain't too bad IMO.

I've used the Aluma-Hyde and you might as well just shoot it with a can of Krylon. It's not really that bad but it doesn't wear worth a crap.

I've never used Gun-Kote but I've seen enough of it to know I never will. The stuff goes on too thick.

Terry

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've done both and in the end, I'd choose to spend the coin and send it off to CAS, knowing it will be done right, I think cerekote is a big step up from the other 2.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can cerakote it yourself. It's not that hard.

Terry

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Do you need an air brush to apply cerakote or do they sell it as an aerosol like Gun Kote? I don't have an airbrush...

I was leaning toward sending it to Charley Santoni to have the whole thing cerakoted professionally, but that is $200. He does fantastic work but I'd kinda like to keep this one a DIY job if possible.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Do you need an air brush to apply cerakote or do they sell it as an aerosol like Gun Kote? I don't have an airbrush...

I was leaning toward sending it to Charley Santoni to have the whole thing cerakoted professionally, but that is $200. He does fantastic work but I'd kinda like to keep this one a DIY job if possible.

It doesn't come with a sprayer but that's no big deal, just use a Pre-val spray rig. They are about $6 and work perfectly. I bought mine at HomeDepot.

Preval spray rig

You just disassemble the barreled ation. Sandblast it, degrease it, heat it up to 250 degrees, spray it, cook it for 2 hours, let it cool and re-assemble.

I'm not knocking CAS but if you add in shipping both way's it's about $250 for something I can do for about $25 per gun. I wouldn't pay to have this done for the exact same reason I wouldn't pay a gunsmith to glassbed a rifle for me. It's just something I can handle myself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
pardon my stupidity blush, but after sandblasting and degreasing, do you literally just throw them into the kitchen oven, on the racks?

Thanx

charlie

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put the small parts on a baking sheet in the regular oven. I send my wife out shoe shopping during this operation.

My barreled action had a 27" barrel on it so it wouldn't fit in a regular oven. No big deal, I made my one. The barreled action hangs in an oven that's made from a piece of vent pipe that sits on a hotplate. The lid is off a paint can and thermometer is off a BBQ grill.

Here are some pictures of it. It's High Tech grin

Vent pipe sitting on a hotplate
[Linked Image]

High tech oven door. Paint can lid with a BBQ thermometer and a hook.
[Linked Image]
Bottom side
[Linked Image]

I've done two rifles so I consider the savings significant.

Terry

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks...this may just be the "March" project I need.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consider yourself privileged. You've been treated to images of the top secret mancave! AR,AR,AR,grunt! grin

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
before
[Linked Image]

After

Still waiting on the McMillan stock
[Linked Image]

Here is the other one I did
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've used all three products mentioned, Aluma-Hyde, Cera-Kote and KG GunKote.

Of the three, I prefer the last two and I'll explain why.

Don't care for Aluma-Hyde on metal, too thick and pi$$ cans suck anyways (poor shelf life, clogged nozzles etc). I use to use it to cover the bare fiberglass found in McM barrel channels but good ole rust olem in a spray can works just as well at half the cost.

I've used KG GunKote for years, the 2400 Series and never had any issues like flaking or peeling like some folks have had (the secret is in the prep and handling of the parts). The 2400 series goes on very thin and is ideal for close tolerance parts and has some lubricity properties to it. Scope ring and base screws always receive this coating, prevents rust in prolonged wet environments. One tip for using GunKote on actions and barrels is to bake it at the recommended 350 degF for an hour, then lower the temp to about 250 degF and bake another hour or more. With flat black, I've never had color changes like the instructions warn can happen and the prolonged baking baking seems to increase it's durability. After blasting parts and degreasing I use to parkerize before applying GunKote, but their K Phos treatment has eliminated having to parkerize.

The other coating found on my bench is NIC Industries CeraKote, the bake on version. This coating is a little thicker and wears a bit better than KG GunKote. This coating works well for barrels, actions/bolts, scope bases/rings and TG/floorplates. Anywhere handling wear is expected.

For prepwork, I can't emphasize enough the need to degrease the parts to be coated before and after blasting. Only use new, virgin blast media in a dedicated blast cabinet for contaminate free gun parts. The bead blast cabinet down at Joe's engine shop is not going to cut it, I guarantee it's full of contaminants and oil. And one certainly should not be bead blasting auto parts in their bead blast cabinet, it brings in contamination issues.

Parts should be handled with new nitrile gloves with the care a surgeon gives in an operating room. Touching gun parts with bare hands will result in less durability.

Another tip is knock down all sharp, knife like edges found on gun parts and actions with emery cloth or a fine file. Don't go crazy here, just work the edge lightly so the coating won't be prone to wear or chipping. If done right, it's not noticeable.

Both companies offer excellent support, it pays to call and speak with their reps.

For small parts, build a jig to hold small parts after degreasing and blasting.
[Linked Image]
To protect threads, guard screws & base screws are placed in the action, ring screws placed in ring halves, and then blasted. Base/ring screws are then moved to be coated in this homemade plate made from a piece of angled alum (KG GunKote):
[Linked Image]
I have a homemade oven made from a 55gal drum that will heat up to 400 degF (don't have a picture at the moment). For small parts, I use a 250 watt heat lamp and an old pot:
[Linked Image]
For temp monitoring, my big oven has a barbecue thermometer and I use a RayTek infrared temp gun to verify surface temps:
[Linked Image]

Another tip is to preheat barreled actions before degreasing, lubricants often seep out of the barrel threads. Always degrease after blasting as well, I use acetone to wash out any embedded blast media from the metal (you would be amazed how much media embeds in gunmetal).

I've always used an external mix airbrush, one can can spray into the little nooks and crannies a spray can cannot and airbrushes offer more control and less waste. In the long run, an airbrush is far better.

KG GunKote 2401F
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

Last edited by Mtn Hunter; 03/14/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.