I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
For me the biggest difference is between my ears. It just messes me up knowing I'm shooting 210s and not 210Ms. Don't even mention trying another brand. It's not easy being a reloader you know smile

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, there is a difference,but not enough to show in most hunting loads. sometimes just changing primer brands can make a load work much better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A FED 210, a FED 210M and a FED GM210M are all the same primer - exact same mixture, same components, same raw material. The difference is the 210M (old designation) & GM210M (current designation) are made by the most experienced operators that Federal has on their staff. The match primers are supposed to be more consistant. That said, in my good quality hunting rifles (but not bench rest Quality by any measure) I can see absolutely no difference in my loads. I would run whichever I could find. The same statement holds true for the Magnum - 215 version.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This has been discussed several times on here. What has been stated is those with the Gold Medal designation have operations that are critical to the primers consistency done by the most experienced and accurate employees. The composition and construction of the primer itself is identical.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Exactamo!!
What the guys above said.
I was a Federal Match Primer loony till I found out what the guys said above. Now, I don't sweat the small stuff; I just buy what's available.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is an old link but pretty much shows what you are thinking and I thought it was a pretty neat rig.

http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

This one is neat but not as much info

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

Last edited by Enios; 03/18/09.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course there is a difference. The Match version always costs more. LOL

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you're loading ammo for the 600 yard line, I wouldn't sweat it.

Enios, that 2nd link reminds me of an article that PS did (two part article) called "A Primer on the Primer" Lots of good info there, and lots of photographs of blow'd up primers in action.

Which brings us right back to the crux of it all. When the sear breaks, and the firing pin smacks a primer, you're blowing up a high order explosive. It kind of makes me giggle when you get guys ask questions like "Won't compressing a charge crush a few kernals of powder??" Or "I trickle every load to the exact same weight.."

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What I remember reading,can't remember the article,was that Fed tests each lot of primers after they are made and the lots that are most consistant become the match primers. I tend to believe that more than the most experienced making them. Even the most experienced can't control the base materials.Rick.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Enios
This is an old link but pretty much shows what you are thinking and I thought it was a pretty neat rig.

http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

Never heard of a [newsprint wad] over a primer. Can someone enlighten me as to what that is about?

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old school Benchrest trick. Some guys would put a sheet of newsprint over the primer in the tool (under the case head) and seat the primer through it so that no kernal of powder would be down in the anvil...

BUT... Like I said earlier... When the firing pin hits the primer, you're blowing up a high order explosive. I mean really... Crap explodes!!

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The big difference today is which one is in stock. That is the one to buy, at least in this neck of the woods.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.