Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went to check out a Savage 219 that I had posted about for some of the members but it was gone. On the shelf was one ofthe mintyest Stevens Visible Loaders I have ever seen in person. of course it came home with me. I believe it is an early version.

I am not familiar with these but I can see condition. Those in the know --- I would love to hear from you about these nifty little pumps.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R,

Looks like a nice example. I've heard nothing good about these guys on here and so have avoided them. I don't see many though around in person. Think you'll function test that?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the Long Rifle stamping...I'd say it's a later one.
I'm not up on um though. They never did anything for me.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look back in the posts about a page or two we just did the visible loader over several days....Ryan

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
the dicked with screws tell the story the single shot was the way to go.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
According to the Callahan letter that eocbob1 posted a few days ago, the gun has the 2nd barrel address, which dates it from 1916 to 1934. But it appears to have a thinner or earlier slide/ejector. Perhaps it falls into the earlier part of the range indicated by the barrel address. I guess this is something else to spend time on to get up to speed on the particulars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R,

I have a nice Stevens Model 1915 Favorite. It has the letter and 3 digit number on the bottom tang where I suspect the code is on the VL you have. As GeneB and ecobob said the sn on these aren't really. Does your carry an SVG logo stamp on the receiver anywhere? That would place 1920 or later.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, no Savage Logo anywhere Steve. It has the letter and 3 digit code on the tang they pointed out in the other post. It has the same mechanism as the top gun pictured in the earlier post which was pointed out as the "early version". I tested it last night and it functioned and fired flawlessly.
The biggest flaw is that the screws do appeared to have been buggered by somebody at sometime though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without the SVG stamp it may be placed to 1920 or earlier. Trouble is I don't know if the stamp was always used, sometimes used, etc. Savage got Stevens in 1920. When the stamp was started I can't say.

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The internals are definately the earlier version per the information in the earlier post, who knows, I hope some others in the know about these gives their opinion.

IC B3

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I found this on the internet regarding them. It helps :

"In 1907, the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. of Chicopee Falls, Mass., brought out a pump action .22 caliber rifle that was marked on the barrel, "Visible Loading Repeater". It was cataloged as the "Visible Loading No. 70", and was chambered in .22 short/long/long rifle. A .22 short only model, the Model 70 1/2, was also produced. Barrels were round in lengths of 20" or 22"., and the rifles had a straight grip stock.
In 1916 the company name changed to J. Stevens Arms Co. The firm was eventually purchased by Savage Arms Co. in the 1920s.
In the mid 1920's, the rifles catalog name was slightly changed to "Visible Loader" until 1931, when it was replaced with a similar "Visible Loader No. 71, which featured a 24" long octagon barrel and a pistol grip stock.
The last Visible Loader was produced in 1934. About 100,000 were produced over the 26 year production span. The peculiar feature of the rifles is that the cartridges from the tubular magazine are fed straight up into the twin extractors on the breech face where they are, indeed, readily visible, unlike other pump actions. There is no "ejector" as such. An extracted round is ither pushed up and out of the extrractors by the following round being fed upward from the magazine, or if it is the last round or empty case in the rifle, by manual removal.
These rifles were designed for "regular loadings", thus modern high speed cartridges should not be used in any of these rifles."

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This pic is for those who have never a Visible Loader in action.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Roger... That is a perfect picture...!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
1. Dry check the lock-up to ensure it's tight and a good pull back will NOT open it.

2. Check the chamber face for firing pin deformation.

3. Check the chamber for cracks and wear.

4. Give it the old bullet in the muzzle test.

5. If you decide to shoot it, use standard velocity ammo only and be sure you wear shooting glasses, not just eye glasses.

6. Good luck.

ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for the tips on what to look out for ecobob1.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.