Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
On Midway's website I saw they have a Control Feed Bolt Head replacement for Savage M10 to 16.

Click here to see it

When I called Savage about it, the "technical support" person had answers like "uh .. uh ... yeah is a Bolt Head replacement". Ok. Does it come with an Extractor? Ejector? If not where can I get those? What do they cost?

My question for the Campfire is have you or anyone you know done this conversion? How did it work out?

My gunny had never heard of it? And although they list it as being a WSM replacement, I believe "uh" boy said they do make one for the short actions.

TIA

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try over at the Savage Shooters Forum they know as much about Savage part changes as anyone.

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They had feeding problems with the short and fat.The new center feed solved it. If you ask here http://www.savageshooters.com/ they will help a lot more than I ever could.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've asked Savage and was told it was only for the WSM's.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
They had feeding problems with the short and fat.The new center feed solved it. If you ask here http://www.savageshooters.com/ they will help a lot more than I ever could.

Sounds like a good site, I just don't want to have to pay to get an answer. I want to save my money for a used Savage M10. O'Bummer is taking what little I have and giving it to AIG.

Last edited by HaYen; 03/19/09. Reason: clarity

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the Savage crf bolt head the extractor is pretty much the same as the push feed extractor (sliding extractor in the bolt lug). The difference is that they get rid of the plunger style ejector in favor of fixed ejector that is pinned to the lower part of the reciever. There is no claw extractor in the Savage CRF system.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
There is no claw extractor in the Savage CRF system.

Oooooooh. Ok, so I'll go back to my search for a Control Feed Action. I know some used ones can be had for a couple of hundred dollars.

HaYen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You seem to be under the misunderstanding that a claw extractor makes a action controlled round feed. This is not so. The Ruger M77 (not the current M77 Mark II) had a claw extractor and a plunger ejector, it was not controlled round feed. All controlled round feed means is that the cartridge is controlled by the extractor as soon as it rises up from the magazine. The type of extractor is immaterial.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I searched the web after reading your post. So I'm in left field. Let me start again.

I want my next rifle to be built on a short action (308 size), not sure on the caliber yet. I wanted it to be built on an action similar to a Mauser. I own almost all Savage rifles. I saw the new Bolt Head as a way to build the new rifle so I thought. I need to do more homework and ask more questions.

Thanks for the reply

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hello HaYen,The bolt head you list is for a magnum size cartridge
head.It is a replacement head for the large shank wsm size action.it has a slot cut in the head and a ejector in another slot cut in the action.it is an ok setup for the wsm's but only ok.savage has a couple of new tricks including the center feed,
and a new style bolt head but no crf in a standard bolt face.
Hope this answered your Question.Vic

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.