What kind of gun do you shoot it in?

Do you reload for it?

Thanks! smile

GB1

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Wow. I cant believe that no-one has responded to this for 2 months. The 25-20 is a sweet cartridge. My favorite loads are in the range of 11 to 11.5gr of 4227. If I want max velocity, I crank it up with Lil gun. I generally shoot these in a little Remington 25 pump gun with a barrel cut back to 20 inches. It is my take along gun. Light, handy and fast. When the hedge apples mature in the fall I have great fun blowing them up with a Savage Sporter (pre Mo 23) that is crazy accurate.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
StubbleDuck:

For a number of reasons, not many of us shoot the .25-20. Note that in recent years Marlin learned the hard way that it couldn't keep its .218 Bee, .25-20, .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 variants of the Model 1894 in production: insufficient sales. Factory ammunition for all four of these chamberings is hard to find and quite expensive when found. The Cowboy Action Shooting community is probably the biggest market for .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 WCF arms and ammunition.

Reloaders can buy cases through the mail. I have been told, and I have read, that .25-20 and .32-20 cases don't live through many reloading cycles. Part of the reason for .25-20 and .32-20 cases' short reloading lives is that Marlin used a longer chamber for its .25-20 and .32-20 rifles than Winchester used. I don't know which chamber lengths Remington and Savage used. But the result for the reloader's budget can be pretty grim until each rifle's quirks are understood and mastered. Two of Paco Kelly's articles on leverguns.com, "Marlin 32-20: It's Not a Mouse Gun" and "32-20 Winchester Centerfire 1882," have more information about the specific differences between Winchester and Marlin .25-20 and .32-20 chambers and how a reloader can cope with those differences.

Bullets for the .218 Bee are no problem, but bullets for the other three cartridges can be hard to find. Those who cast their own bullets can have a regular supply as long as suitable metals are available.

Most shooters who understand the advantages that the .25-20 offers its users have eyes too old to use open sights. Even aperture rear sights strain some of us ambulant antiques. But all the .25-20 and .32-20 rifles that I've ever seen in the wood and metal have been stocked for iron sight use only.

In my market area, .25-20 and .32-20 rifles are priced at levels far beyond their perceived "shooting value." Spare parts availability can be a nightmare if something wears out or breaks. Many of us older shooters, the folks most likely to know what the .25-20 and .32-20 offer, are now retirees living on fixed incomes.

ozzy the nuke:

Enjoy that .25-20 Remington pump. Feed it factory-equivalent loads, maintain it properly and your great-grandchildren may be enjoying it a century hence!

Last edited by TwentyTwo; 05/30/09. Reason: Specific information on Paco Kelly's articles about reloading the .25-20 and .32-20.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
And then there is that old joke about the guy that was sighting in his 25.20. He shot a few rounds and then walked down to the target. As he was bending over to check his group the bullets hit him in the back of the head.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
T Whelen wrote that the 25-20 was ideal for collecting small game for the pot. I have to agree that even today this is true. I have a model 92 winchester chambered for this round and reload 75 speer and cast bullets using RCBS mold. It is great for wild turkey where rifles are allowed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently acquired a Winchester 92 in 25-20 and just last weekend did some loading work. My rifle does not like the 60gr Hornadys. However is does like 9.0gr of 2400 behind the 75gr Speer, shooting 1.5" groups at 50yds. This rifle looks so old and tired that I call that good shootin'. I would like to try the 86gr Remingtons.

This rifle is just fun to shoot. I will probably try it on some chucks when the beans pop out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have used the .25-20 since my grandfather gave me a '92 rifle in 1952 (still have it but don't shoot it any more since I can't see the irons....).

Made a "shooter" out of a trashed Winchester 1885 "Winder Musket" by relining the barrel to .25-20 and finding a Lowall CF block, plus adding various other missing bits--gun is made up of pieces of 7 rifles plus aftermarket and home-made parts. But it looks OK and shoots great; it has a 28" barrel with Marbles tang peep and Lyman 17! front sight (I CAN see those).

Also have a near mint Savage 23B (must be one of the last ones made--very late) that I bought in Vermont. It was already tapped and drilled for a Weaver "N" mount so I put a Redfield 2 3/4" fixed scope on it and it is one of my favorite rifles. Also have a .25-20 barrel (relined bore) for my Savage 220 16 guage single shot. So you could say I DO like .25-20s.

The Remington 25 (or better, the 25R) is kinda the Holy Grail of .25-20s. Never found one I could afford....

I've killed a small blacktail buck with the .25-20 (bad idea), a 180# (dressed) wild sow (took 9 shots but I was trying to "shoot around" my two dogs hanging on her) and two big German Shepherds that had just destroyed about $1000 (1956 dollars) worth of purebred Corriedales. Plus LOTS of 'chucks, jackrabbits, and ground squirrels.

Only thing I DON'T like about the .25-20 is that a the lower velocities (the quieter velocities) it is a real "bouncer"--sometimes the ricochet makes as much racket as the report. Makes ranchers nervous, so I use the .22 WMR now when near a ranchhouse!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I presently own two model 92s. One is all original and one has been reconditioned with a barrel liner, new wood, screws, bluing...looks really nice (and is for sale on Guns America via a friend).
I've had three different ones since I was 12, and have only shot one deer with one. I reloaded for it years ago when I used to shoot it more, but don't shoot it enough anymore to need more ammo than I have stocked up. When I do, I'll reload for it again.
They are a blast to shoot, and although I don't use it much, I'd hate to be without one.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I need to add that 11 to 11.5gr load I mentioned in my previous post is with a 60gr Hornady bullet which works well in both the Rem 25 and the Savage Sporter. I use 4198 with the 86gr bullets, but I forget how much, but it�s the Hornady handbook load (as is the load mentioned above). I have a bunch of 75s, but haven�t tried them yet.

I agree the Rem mo 25 is the Holy grail of the 25-20s. I keep a nice one tucked away in a safe. My wife teasingly calls it "precious." For a shooter I got one for $400 that someone had overloaded, bulged the barrel at the chamber. Found a cut down (20") barrel for $25 (pure luck) that amazingly headspaced and indexed correctly without any more work. Put a tang sight on it and wala, a 25 that I can enjoy shooting without feeling guilty. Here�s a little trick if you have old eyes like mine. Make a .25� peep for the front sight. Works like a charm. I wont go into the details here, but feel free to EM or PM me if you are interested.

As to case life, I haven�t been able to wear out any 32-20 or 25-20 brass. And I shoot a lot. My original box of 32-20 brass is still going after being reloaded at least 20 times. I did anneal the necks once. Those have been shot with mild loads, 1400fps or less. But even the 25-20s and 32-20s shot with heavier loads are holding up well. Just keep the loads below 25ksi, especially in the Rem mo 25. You will know when you have gone too far because extraction will become a little sticky. The Savages will take higher pressures, but I haven�t tried to see how much. If I need more power, I have plenty of bigger guns. Shooting the 25-20 and 32-20 isn�t about power anyway.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I need to add that 11 to 11.5gr load I mentioned in my previous post is with a 60gr Hornady bullet which works well in both the Rem 25 and the Savage Sporter. I use 4198 with the 86gr bullets, but I forget how much, but it�s the Hornady handbook load (as is the load mentioned above). I have a bunch of 75s, but haven�t tried them yet.

I agree the Rem mo 25 is the Holy grail of the 25-20s. I keep a nice one tucked away in a safe. My wife teasingly calls it "precious." For a shooter I got one for $400 that someone had overloaded, bulged the barrel at the chamber. Found a cut down (20") barrel for $25 (pure luck) that amazingly headspaced and indexed correctly without any more work. Put a tang sight on it and wala, a 25 that I can enjoy shooting without feeling guilty. Here�s a little trick if you have old eyes like mine. Make a .25� peep for the front sight. Works like a charm. I wont go into the details here, but feel free to EM or PM me if you are interested.

As to case life, I haven�t been able to wear out any 32-20 or 25-20 brass. And I shoot a lot. My original box of 32-20 brass is still going after being reloaded at least 20 times. I did anneal the necks once. Those have been shot with mild loads, 1400fps or less. But even the 25-20s and 32-20s shot with heavier loads are holding up well. Just keep the loads below 25ksi, especially in the Rem mo 25. You will know when you have gone too far because extraction will become a little sticky. The Savages will take higher pressures, but I haven�t tried to see how much. If I need more power, I have plenty of bigger guns. Shooting the 25-20 and 32-20 isn�t about power anyway.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interestin'! (And worth repeatin'!).

Aways wanted a .25-20 SAA or Blackhawk. Never had the coin to put one together. Talk about flashy! A "barbecue gun" that barbecues!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Had a Remington M25 for over 25 years, but the headspace got too bad. Then found a nice 94CL and mounted a K3 Weaver. Really fun piece. Like Mike, I tried for years to find a Christy cylinder for a Colt SAA but was a day late a couple of times. Got lucky several years ago and found Ed's with a batch of factory 10" Contender barrels. My most fun .25 yet. I like it best with iron sights. Factory Winchesters get within 5 fps of my 94CL yet have no magnum blast. It fits on the front seat and makes the perfect jackrabbit combination. Either cast or Speer 75 over 4227 or 4198, that's all you need.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 and used it for small game and Cowboy Shoots for years. I have a Win 92 in SRC and Rifle and they both shoot very well. I shoot 86 grain cast over Green dot and get exceptional accuracy. I also have a Savage model 23 that likes the Speer 75 grain JFP and does a real number on the small game population. If you reload don't fear the 25-20 they are accurate and extremely fun to shoot. Brass is run periodically by Remington and I have brass that has been fired 2 dozen times with no problems with my cast loads. I have yet to get a bad piece of brass with the jacketed loads either. I had a Marlin 1894 takedown and before I sold it, brass was on its 8-10th loading. That same brass is now being fired in the Winchester, still no problems. Ryan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
If so, how well do you like the .25-20?

What kind of gun do you shoot it in?

Do you reload for it?

Thanks! smile

I do reload only 60 grain jacketed bullets for it.

The gun killed three deer in three consecutive shots in the early 1930s in just a few seconds. One is a very nice eight point mounted in a shop in southern Minnesota.

I used the gun in Africa for the smaller antelope such as Duiker. It worked quite nicely for that task.

It's at it's best as a short range fox/coyote/jackrabbit and other small varmint rifle but works well for turkeys too where the rifle is legal.

My rifle is a M-92 Winchester that has been in the family since 1917 and is going to stay that way. It will see a few more "special" hunts before I'm to old to take it any more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad says his Uncle Jim who lived in Redding, CA, had a brother in law who took blacktail and mule deer with no problem using a .25/20. Uncle Jim said he could spot deer it took him binoculars to see and he could sneak up on any game animal. Got really close and put those .25-cal. holes in the right spot. These guys killed a lot of deer in Northern California 1920s through mid-'50s.

I'd REALLY like to have a .25/20 in a 26-inch. Contender Carbine. That would make a nice, quiet little killer.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 06/15/09.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I was luckey enough to trade into a little Marlin 1894CL a few years ago and it has become one of my favorite carry rifles at the house. I dont see so good anymore eather so I went with a 4X Timberline on it . Outside of my 39A , this is my favorite rifle to carry for varmits .
I started loading the 60 Gr. Hor. over 13.5 grs. of H4198 with a roll crimp and it seems to be just fine .I havent shot it alot since I scoped it but that will change when I can restock on Fed. S.R.primers .

[Linked Image]

Its the one in the middle . I have come to like the 20MM scopes too since I addmitted I cant shoot for squat with irons anymore.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Speaking of Redding CA, there used to be a novel/mystery writer in the Whitmore area east of Redding who lived partly off his writing and partly off a .25-20. His name was Courtney Cameron or Owen Cameron but I'm not sure which was his real name or the name he published under. He wrote several mystery novels in the late 1940s and early 1950s. My mother in law knew him some and said he was never without his "pump .25-20". but she couldn't remember if it was hammer (Marlin) or hammerless (Rem). Anybody know more about that guy?

I used to ranch sit for a friend of mine up there in the late 1960s and when I found a .25-20 case in the woods, I'd always think that Cameron had taken a deer there. I often carried a Marlin 1894 .25-20 with a 26" barrel in those days (when I didn't just carry my Bearcat). But you can BET I picked up MY brass!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have killed many 'meals' and pests with my Savage Sporter 25-20. Small whitetails, turkey, rabbits, hogs, you name it. If I could see it and it was edible, I would bust it. That was before I learned how underpowered it was smile. Neckshot deer dropped right there. As humane as it could be. Back then I used the 86gr. Now I use the 60s and 75s mostly but plinking just for old times sake or the occasional yote.

The 25-20 necks are pretty thin and the RCBS dies that I have used for almost 40 yrs can be rough on them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I killed an 8 pt whitetail last fall with a Marlin 25-20,
neckshot at about 45-50 yards. I would love to hunt small
game with it, if I ever get the chance.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Around 1982, I had Harry Creighton of Kingston Springs, TN rebarrel a Ruger #3 in .25/20 for me to use as a squirrel rifle. Topped with a Unertl small game 6x scope, it is the bee's knees for small game. I use mostly 69 gr. cast Lyman 257420's in it, but also used 60 to 75 gr jacketed bullets as well. Fun stuff.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah, Telly, back about 25 years ago I got one of the #3s that some guy had bought, fired 10 rounds, and sold off cheap. You guessed it, a .45-70....OWWW!

I'd fired one before, so I had it relined to .25-20 and found it a great small game gun too. Lost it in the 1980s recession, just like lots of guys are losing great guns now....selling off your guns to pay the essentials SUCKS, but when you have a family, you do what you have to. At least I've always been able to hang onto my "family guns"!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I handled a Ruger #3 that had been rebarreled to .25-20
several years ago. It had also been restocked with a nice
piece of walnut, and had a running fox engraved on it.
Cant remember where I saw it at though, pretty sure it was
a gunshow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

630 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,871
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.