Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
As I peruse the various reloading forums on the 'net I am struck by the difference in attitudes of the posters - especially in these times of high ammo price and demand.

Since this particular forum includes some of those who have made a real contribution to handloading - I am interested in what your opinions are as to WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HANDLOADER AND A RELOADER?

As for me, one answer would be:
A Reloader assumes his 140/7mm Mag load goes 3200 fps because his single reloading manual says so while a Handloader knows exactly how fast his load goes (and has a shelf full of manuals)...
or something like that...

"We deal in lead - friend"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's pretty close. It's basically the difference between a normal person and an OCD person. I'm a handloader and proud of it!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they are basically the same, just called different things by different people.

You could say a re-loader takes a once fired factory case and re-loads it, where a handloader loads his cases several times, and loads all of his ammunition.

A re-loader might also be one that shoots a lot of factory ammo and re-loads the factory case, where a handloader crawls around on his hands and knees in brush and under benchs and in trash barrels at shooting ranges looking for emptys.

A hand loader might think he saves money by loading, but if you add up all of the money for his gadgets and every new piece of loading equipment that comes out, and has a whole bench with several presses, bullet casting equipment, bullet swaging dies, stacks of boxes full of brass he has scavanged, a set of dies for each of his 20 or so rifles, then I doubt he has saved any money by loading.

But, he is having fun, and that is what matters. When I shot a lot, I had a metal lathe and a few machine tools, and I enjoyed making my own reloading tools. I enjoyed doing that about as much as I enjoyed loading and shooting.

A re-loader would just have the few basic tools necessary, and he probably does save money by reloading, but then, he doesn't shoot much, either.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Frisco_Pete

As for me, one answer would be:
A Reloader assumes his 140/7mm Mag load goes 3200 fps because his single reloading manual says so while a Handloader knows exactly how fast his load goes (and has a shelf full of manuals)...
or something like that...

In other words, a handloader owns a chronagraph, and a reloader doesn't?....... whistle grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think it's like the Ipsc guy who finds one load that hits close and Dillonizes 1000 rounds cause he hates reloading versus the Benchrester who lovingly handcrafts 40 rounds and takes all day to shoot them.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm certainly both in the last few months me and pards cranked out 3,000 rds of .223 and 3,000 rds of .40 cal. They had never loaded anything in their lives and I reminded them that this was loading not really re-loading. Yes we used a Dillon 550 and 650.

I've got a single stage and single stage turret press for "regular" rifle/pistol loading.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't really call a lot of what I do "reloading", at least until I've fired the first go-round. Mostly I buy new brass to start the cycle, and I virtually never shoot factory ammunition.

So that's all "handloading", not "reloading".

FWIW...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion they are interchangeable labels that describe the same activity.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A person who thinks handloading and reloading is the same is a reloader.

A person who cannot even fathom that someone else would think they are the same is a handloader.

A NASCAR driver and a public transit bus driver are both professional paid vehicle drivers. Does anyone think their avocation, their interests, their passion is the same ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always figured that creating your ammo has two aspects. One is handloading. That is selection of components and careful assembly of several or more loads for several rifles until a satisfactory number of loads is developed. That process may never really stop as the possibilities for load development are pretty limitless. The second phase is reloading, which I always looked at as the precise recreation of the handloads. YMMV

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A reloader creates his own ammo so he can shoot and a handloader shoots so he can remanufacture precision cartridges.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Difference Between a Handloader and a Reloader?
Semantics.....
Make up your own definitions.
If 10 guys answer your question, you'll get 10 different answers.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uhhhh; reloaders just "reload" any ammo that their firearm use and go banging away, while handloaders roll their own and shoot itty-bitty groups[most of the time anyway!]? Better have a beer and think this one thru. Just kidding, have fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, there is a precise definition, and it has no uppity-snooty inferences about it.

A handloader is one who assembles virgin components by hand versus by automated machine. The products are handloaded ammunition versus factory ammunition.

A reloader is one who re-assembles previously fired cartridge cases into loaded ammunition.

The ONLY difference is whether the brass has ever been fired. You can handload ammo once, after which it becomes reloading.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a writer�

but to me it is the attention to detail. Checking the details and recording the results� round by round for specific rifles. Most reloaders will deliver safe accurate loads� but Handloaders try to deliver safe, accurate tailored and documented loads.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I crank out a thousand rounds for my 223, that's reloading. Volume production.

When I painstakingly load 50 rounds for a hunting rifle, a load that I know from far too much testing is just a bit more perfect than the other loads I have tested in that rifle? Doing umpteen extra steps even though I logically know those umpteen extra steps don't make a tangible difference; but I do it anyway in case that round is in the chamber when the target is a 170 class whitetail quartering away in fading light at 375 yards? That's handloading. Did someone mention OCD?? grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a handloader, not a reloader. I use only NEW components, I dont re-use brass. Nothing against it, I just dont shoot that much. I did years ago and had to with wildcats but now its just 20 rounds here or there for hunting season. I do save brass but since I dont target shoot, my big game loads all use new brass.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Damned if I know..Guess I'm both.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Im a Rehandloader...

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
ditto!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.