Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a 4x scope. Tech differences as far as I can tell are moot, The weaver has a 38mm bell and the leupold has a 33mm. The weaver only weighs about .5ozs more. Price difference is big, about $130 for the weaver and the leupold at $270. Is the leupold worth the extra $140? Thanks

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hope someone answers this one.I have been looking at that Weaver K series also.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Eye-relief is the biggest issue and more specifically the way the Weaver is designed, the long front bell keeps you from being able to mount it far enough back for a good picture.

YMMV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Steelhead nailed it. The Weaver will work fine on a short action, on a long action it may need extended rings. The glass is very good though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are, of course, also durability, reliability and functionality questions. Will the less expensive scope stand up to the same climate and treatment as the Leupold? Will Weaver stand behind it if (when, in our case) you abuse it?

Then you have to ask yourself...does it matter to me who built the scope and what country they built it in? Only the purchaser can answer that question, and if all other things are equal and the USA-made product is twice the price, then pure economics may determine the answer. Or not...

If the Leupold function, reliability, durability and guarantee are all better, and it is manufactured in the USA -- then the price difference becomes self-explanatory.

I like Weaver scopes, actually, but I've not been willing to invest my time and hunting trips in determining if they work as well as the scopes I use.

FWIW...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had one of the newer K6's for about a year now. So, keep in mind that's not a great deal of time to sort out if it's honest or not.

But, I also have the 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it. I can honestly say that after the time I have in the two scopes so far (both about a year) that if the K6 came with LR dotz that there is no way I'd be spending the extra 180 bones to buy the Leo anymore.

Personally I really like it, (the K6) and I find it very user friendly, the clicks have been repeatable and for my eyes the clarity of the K6 whomps up on the 6x36 Leo (well it does seem better not sure exactly where a scope begins to whomp on one another...grin).

As for the eye relief issue, for me it's not been an issue. I've had it on short actions and on long. I've had it on lil cals, med cals and on my 375 Wby and I have no issues with it.

I just bought another one from another fella from the Fire that will see some fairly extensive use as well as a trip to TK Lee to be fitted with dotz.

Bottom line, I've no issues with the K6

Just my 3 cents

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We own several K4's and they have worked well for us. Some good friends like them as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis,you make good points, but dollars are getting tight right now for alot of us. I will buy Leupolds in the future, but if I were scoping SEVERAL deer/big game rifles and/or Coyote rifles, I would be buying some Weavers to try as I have yet to hear any complaints. One reviewer said the Weaver optics were a good bit better than his Burris 6x on a cloudy day.

Leupold makes a good scope no doubt, and the worst thing they could do now is jack their prices any higher IMHO.

I THINK but not sure Light Optical in Japan has made some Weavers and if so, that may be the very company that makes Bushnell Elite's. Yep, found a link:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:xU9BDydlZq8J:yarchive.net/gun/scope/makers.html+Weaver+scopes+light+optical&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: [Scopes] Which (non-Leupold) brand is best?
Date: 11 May 1997 16:49:17 -0400

John Abatte wrote:
> ...

Just for the record Nikon doesn't make their scopes or lens. They are
contracted to the lowest bidder. The last I heard they were being made
in the Philippines I think. I buy lens from the same manufacturers as
most of the Japanese Manufactured Scopes so I feel I can speak with
first hand experience. Lens are polished to a standard which is the
number and size of digs and dings that are not polished out. Then they
are coated to aid in light transmission. The better lens are coated
with a 4 layer coating and all use the same formula. The glass types
are dictated by the computer designed lens system and the flint and
crown glass all come from the same areas and the same computer design
programs are used by almost every one in the industry What I am saying
is while you may think one is better than the next. The only difference
between a Leupold, B&L Simmons or any of the rest of the scopes that use
Japans lens is the amount of quality control The importer is willing to
pay for. When it comes to mechanical design only the American companies
design their own mechanical systems. All Japanese scopes use nearly
identical designs so there is very little difference. The big
difference is where the importer wants to fit in the market place and
what he is willing to pay for. If you stay within the same price range
it doesn't make much difference what you buy if it is an import. I
would pay more attention to which company makes it as that is the big
difference. And one last comment. The scope companies don't polish
their own lens, they buy them from lens manufacturers and price dictates
quality.I have been in the lens factory when the buyer for one of the
best known European scope companies was there on a buying trip so the
name on the scope doesn't mean a thing on where the glass comes from.

Gale McMillan

Dober, I think you are correct in not seeing enough difference to justify double the price. I can say if I ever had to do with only one rifle, I would trust a 4x33 or 6x36 Leupold to do all I need. If dollars were tighter yet...a Weaver would be next in line. I don't think you can get much more durability than these fixed powers short of perhaps a Zeiss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I paid $119 for my first one thru Natchez

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think they are great. The big front bell is a bit of a pain, but I really haven't noticed a problem with eye relief because of it. I have a couple mounted on Mauser 98s and they work fine. I dropped one of my rifles so hard on the concrete that it dented the bell and the scope was fine.

Hey, for less than half the price of a Leupold I can't tell the difference in optical quality. And as for durability and service issues, for less than half the price, buy two and have a spare if that really concerns you. I'll bet you I could get a new Weaver from Natchez quicker than I could get a Leupold back from the shop and still be ahead.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
And as for durability and service issues, for less than half the price, buy two and have a spare if that really concerns you. I'll bet you I could get a new Weaver from Natchez quicker than I could get a Leupold back from the shop and still be ahead.

Tough to get one repaired when you're a few hundred miles in the back country. And I'd rather take the weight in gear or food instead of a spare scope...when I can have one that will work all the time. If I were driving out for a day of hunting and able to be back in my shop that night, it wouldn't be such a concern. But mostly, my hunting isn't like that. So I buy the most durable scopes I can. I won't spend $1200 to get something 3% better, but I won't save half the money to get something that may have only half the durability, either. Our climate is a bit on the intense side, too, which also plays a role in my choices.

But everyone should do whatever works for them...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I own several of both scopes in both powers, 4 and 6...

The Weavers are good scopes.. with good features and attractive prices...

If I was setting up a rifle for a hard hunt in bad weather, I have to admit, I'd mount the Leupolds any day over the Weavers...

for optic clarity, I don't see any difference in any of the Weavers, as compared to the 4 or 6 power Tascos that I have...
and their optic clarity is every bit as much as I would ever need...

however on the straight power Leupolds, I still see the better clarity...

I think the straight power Nikon Buckmaster is closer to the Leupold in clarity, but it is definitely closer to the Weaver in price...

I wouldn't part with my Weavers, but I'd part with them before I'd part with my Leupold Fixed powers..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, I'm buying a kimber montana and the plan is to take my 2-7-33 leupold vxII off of my tikka t-3 and put it on the kimber since it will be my new primary rifle. The tikka will be more of a back-up or loaner rifle so I think the weaver will work. Like said earlier, I love leupold and I love to buy american when I can, but money is tight latley so I think it'll be weaver for the time being. Thanks

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If I wanted a durable scope for harsh hunting conditions I'd get a Sightron Big Sky due to the hydrophobic coating. Yesterday I took a late 70's El Paso Weaver, a Bushnell Elite 4200, a Trijicon Accupoint, A 40 year old Leupold, and a Nikon Pro Hunter to the woods before daylight for a comparison. They ALL performed pretty much the same. The 30 year old Weaver and the Leupold had more flare from the sun but were just as sharp as the others. The Weaver cast a slightly brown tint to the picture. I expected to see a dramatic difference between the scopes considering the price spread. I compared the scopes all through dawn at different angles, etc.

Become one with nature, then marinate it!
http://windrockphotography.com
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You can buy a used Leupold cheaper than a new weaver and the guarentee is still good for life...

I have used a number of Weavers and was sold on them until I moved to Idaho..I have seen many Weavers fog up after about a years use...

I personally will stick with Leupold..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ain't buying that for a minute. New Weaver K6 goes for $119.99 at Natchez and I've never seen a used Leupold FXII 6x36 go for anywhere near that low of a price.

P.S. don't take me wrong I like Leupolds too.(In fact all my rifles have leupolds on them now)

Last edited by kalbrecht; 04/01/09.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ray, were these El Paso or Japanese Weavers?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by muledeer
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
And as for durability and service issues, for less than half the price, buy two and have a spare if that really concerns you. I'll bet you I could get a new Weaver from Natchez quicker than I could get a Leupold back from the shop and still be ahead.

Tough to get one repaired when you're a few hundred miles in the back country. And I'd rather take the weight in gear or food instead of a spare scope...when I can have one that will work all the time. If I were driving out for a day of hunting and able to be back in my shop that night, it wouldn't be such a concern. But mostly, my hunting isn't like that. So I buy the most durable scopes I can. I won't spend $1200 to get something 3% better, but I won't save half the money to get something that may have only half the durability, either. Our climate is a bit on the intense side, too, which also plays a role in my choices.

But everyone should do whatever works for them...

Dennis

I've never had a scope of any make actually break on me. I've had a couple that were broken out of the box, but I've never had one that broke. And it seems that I read more stories about Leupolds breaking on here than any other scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had problems with two K6 Weavers. I bought a K6 to go on my .257 Roberts. first trip to the range and it wouldn't track in. Fire a shot and move the adjustments and the next shot would not have moved. Moved adjustments again, tapped turrets and still the shot wouldn't move. Finally, it would free up and move too far across the target. I would go to move it back and it would stick again. I finally sent it back to the shop and got a replacement and hey presto - same problem. I then ordered a 6x36 Leupold (paid another $100) and it tracked in beautifully right from the first shot. This was about 10 years ago so the Weavers may be better now, but I don't know as I've never bought another one.

Thank you very much.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
136 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 17 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.