-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
I have a xtr fwt in 257 Bob and i am looking for one in 7x57. Both were only made in 1984 and were made in relativly limited numbers. My 257 shoots 3/4 inch groups with 110 acubonds. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price is he asking for it?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one of the Featherweights in 7x57 and it would take an act of God to pry it from my hands. I bought it off a friend sans scope and pounted a 3x9 Leupold on the gun. groups were horrible, literally all over the place. I was cussing my friend out something awful. I took it to my gun smith for a trigger and glas bed job and when I got it back it was just as bad. I'm about ready yo take it back to the guy and give it back as a suppository, I'm that mad, when I got the bright idea to change scopes. I dunno why I thought that might be the problem as the scope on the gun was NIB when I put it on the gun. Well, I changed scopes, went to the range and HOLY COW! The first group was slightly less than one inch. The enxt was just as good and every group after that has been MOA or less with what ever I put in that gun, with one exception. I bought a couple of bags of Winchester 150 gr. Power Points and they are terrible. I weighed 100 of the bullets and the weight ran plus or minus two full grains over the nominal weight. I'd tried them in three different 7x57 rifles and my .280 Rem. before doing the weight check. Simply garbage!
I have a small supply of the long discontinued Sierra 170 gr. Pro-Hunter round nose bullets and over a stiff load of W-760, I get beautiful almost perfectly formed three leaf clovers.
FWIW, I also have an FN Mauser (J.C. Higgins M50 action) rebarreled to 7x57 that is sub-MOA with the Winchester 145 gr. Power-Point ammo. That same ammo is MOA in the M70.
I would have to say that if the price is right, I'd snap up another M70 in 7x57 and never look back.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the info fellas, if everything works out I'll meet up with the guy selling the rifle in a couple of days and see what it looks like. The pics look good thus far. Thanks for the advice you dadgum bunch of 'enablers'.

David

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have one.. it thinks it is a varmint rifle with the groups it gives...the action was bedded by the previous owner who didn't use it much, because of "odd ball" chambering..

bought it in 2002 or so, for $300.00... the local shop couldn't move it because most of the folks in the door, would hand it back to the sales person when they heard the chambering and would ask " what the hell kinda caliber is that???"

it shoots anything I feed it like a varmint rifle...

my standard hunting load has been 140 grain ballistic tips with a charge of 44 grains of IMR 4895...for an MV of 2800 fps... seated to magazine length..

the elk hunting load is a 160 grain Speer Mag Tip over a charge of 40 grains of IMR 3031 for an MV of 2700 fps....

toyed with a light load of 28 grains of SR 4759 and a 110 grain TNT HP from Speer last deer season.. it has the same POI as the 140 gr Bullet's load... it took at 210 lb blacktail...heart shot..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
. the local shop couldn't move it because most of the folks in the door, would hand it back to the sales person when they heard the chambering and would ask " what the hell kinda caliber is that???"
Got the number of that shop? I may check in once in a while and see if any other M70s in 'odd' chamberings are gathering dust... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember being in a shop in the 90's and seeing a NIB M70 in 7X57 for $250.00! Being a lefty is a true curse!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Huntr
I remember being in a shop in the 90's and seeing a NIB M70 in 7X57 for $250.00! Being a lefty is a true curse!
Don't tease me bro.... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Well, met the fellow this afternoon and have aforementioned rifle in possession. Real nice guy that has frequented the Single Shot section of 24HC in the past. Great to have met him and BSd on guns for a bit.

Thanks again for all the help in buying a rifle I don't need at a deal that I couldn't pass up. Hope to get it out and shoot it in the next couple of weeks after I get an idle 4x Leupie mounted on it . It's my first non lever Winchester and seems like a nice one, the Featherweight is a handy model.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one and sold it. Not one of my better moves.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Well, met the fellow this afternoon and have aforementioned rifle in possession. Real nice guy that has frequented the Single Shot section of 24HC in the past. Great to have met him and BSd on guns for a bit.

Thanks again for all the help in buying a rifle I don't need at a deal that I couldn't pass up. Hope to get it out and shoot it in the next couple of weeks after I get an idle 4x Leupie mounted on it . It's my first non lever Winchester and seems like a nice one, the Featherweight is a handy model.

Congrat's on a fine purchase, chambered for a cartridge that I am quite fond of.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Seafire
. the local shop couldn't move it because most of the folks in the door, would hand it back to the sales person when they heard the chambering and would ask " what the hell kinda caliber is that???"
Got the number of that shop? I may check in once in a while and see if any other M70s in 'odd' chamberings are gathering dust... laugh laugh

Google up Cascade Ammunition... same place as Roseburg Gun Shop... Roseburg Oregon..

same town P.O. Ackley had his first gunshop...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TYK...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.