Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I will be the first to say I am not a wood expert but I found this at the Tulsa gun show today, it looked like a nice piece of wood, it was getting late and according to what I have seen blanks priced at, seemed like a good buy. Not to mention, the longer I fondled it, the cheaper it was getting. grin

According to the seller, his Dad owned it since 1986 and it was much older than that.

Hopefully I will get some positive feedback and I didn't get hurt to bad.

These are the markings on the blank.

[img][IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/Sweet16Owner/Tulsa%20gunshow/tulsagunshowpurchases018.jpg[/img][/img]

I think the spelling below is Teyssier. The stamp is very weak on the RH side

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
black walnut?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It appears to be a nice piece of French walnut (Juglans regia). The color and figure are quite nice. Congratulations.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
+1 French

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It dones say French on the blank....grin

Looks beautiful...I'm not a wood expert by any means but IIRC a heavy kicking rifle needs pretty straight grain in the thin grip area. Yours looks like it still has lots of figure there...

May not be a issue at all, but I'd suggest asking someone about it that does know wood.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
It appears to be a nice piece of French walnut (Juglans regia). The color and figure are quite nice. Congratulations.

Thanks for the positive feedback. When you don't do this for a living, it is basic crapshoot whether you made a reasonable choice.

With the stamp, would it be fairly safe to assume that this blank came from France? If so, would it make it more valuable?

From what I have read, the dark mineral lines seem to command a premium. Are the black lines what is considered mineral lines?

Most places I have looked at grade on a A,AA AAA,AAAA or X,XX,XXX,XXXX scale or percentages of figure 25,50,75,100.

Where on these scales would this blank be considered.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bastonne?(sp?)

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bastogne, perhaps, but French for sure...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks great as is. Put some oil on it and I bet it is dynamite. Post some pics of it if you do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice stick...ain't much French walnut around

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by remfak
It looks great as is. Put some oil on it and I bet it is dynamite. Post some pics of it if you do.

You can count on pics. I have this earmarked for my first ( and most likely last) custom. These things get pricey. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice stick of wood. I wouldn't use it for one of the super hard kicking guns as the pistol grip area doesn't look to have the strength to take the recoil. I don't think it is Bastone as I have one stock of that wood and it is totally different in looks. The trouble is that it could be a nice piece of French OR a nice piece of English.
Nevertheless, it is nice looking and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WeimsnKs,

You have a very nice stick of genuine French Walnut. Teyssier was a well know source of French walnut quite a number of years ago. While much of Teyssier walnut that I've seen has not been really outstanding as far as figure goes, it has all be very good wood. No question that it is dry and well seasoned, as, to my knowledge, Teyssier hasn't been in business for several years.

Grading walnut is a very subjective subject and there are no guidelines by which to grade wood. Each dealer establishes his own set of standards to go by. On a X, XX, XXX, XXXX, Exhibition scale, I would grade your blank XXX.

I don't know what you paid for the blank, so have no idea whether you got a good deal or not.

Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen

The figuring is dark like Bastogne...The lines are thick as well...Just a guess though...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tsquare
WeimsnKs,

You have a very nice stick of genuine French Walnut. Teyssier was a well know source of French walnut quite a number of years ago. While much of Teyssier walnut that I've seen has not been really outstanding as far as figure goes, it has all be very good wood. No question that it is dry and well seasoned, as, to my knowledge, Teyssier hasn't been in business for several years.

Grading walnut is a very subjective subject and there are no guidelines by which to grade wood. Each dealer establishes his own set of standards to go by. On a X, XX, XXX, XXXX, Exhibition scale, I would grade your blank XXX.

I don't know what you paid for the blank, so have no idea whether you got a good deal or not.

Tom

Bingo....we have a winner!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen

That's what I think it is, Bastogne...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Guns Of Bastogne an excellent movie, no wait that was the Guns Of Navarone. Any way that is a nice French Walnut blank...

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I guess: Pretty. Yep, its pretty wood. . . . . grin

More importantly, I guess 9.3x62 for the rifle.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty safe bet it is NOT Bastogne. Bastogne is an American mule and not found in France, the obvious birthplace of the blank based on the stamp. The history from tsquare is dead-on.

Bastogne is a cross between claro, a native CA walnut and any Juglans regia. It is called by a number of names (paradox being second most common) and occasionally refined when intentional crosses are made. It is intentionally crossed to produce non-flowering ornamantal trees which do not make the nut mess walnuts are so bad about.

The blank is going to look better when cut because the marbling is best exposed by board-sawing (which it is) but bland until the rounding exposes the lace...

Structurally it is more than adequate for virtually anything... it is regia... based on the one exposed face, but the flat growth rings tend to indicate very limited lateral run-out, the only other concern.

Pictures of the other face and both edges would be needed to begin to consider a grade. Safe to say it is better than a chunk of firewood.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Art:

I knew you could not stay away . . . . wink

But, I think the most pressing issue is: "Whatcha gonna Build"

I vote Mauser 9.3x62 with a 6x42 Leupold . . . . grin

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.