Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Here is a beautiful English Whitworth rifle featuring the rugged Mauser type bolt action. Whitworth is a centuries old English firearms manufacturer that specializes in fine arms and dangerous game rifles. This unit is chambered in 7x57 (7mm) and is very accurate. Rifle will come with proper mounting bases and weaver rings. I removed the scope but it can be purchased as well (Weatherby Supreme). The rifle also features custom factory white-line recoil pas and sweeping Monte Carlo cheekpiece. Do not confuse this with cheap imports. This is a quality rifle. As you can see by the photos the rifle is in excelllent shape and has spent most of its adult life trapped in a safe.blush As such it has a couple very small blems on the stock where it sat against the gun rest, but hardly noticeable

Photos:

[Linked Image]

I need to move some of my rifles to make room for new arrivals. Asking price as shown: $895 or best offer. This is quite reduced from appraised value of $1100 (2001 so may be much higher). PM or email me at ruger1vprodigy.net if interested. As always, thank you for looking!

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
PM Sent
Frank

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you saying that rifle was manufactured in England by Whitworth? The action was forged there; the barrel was drilled and rifled; the stock was carved and inlet there; and the entire rifle was assembled in England?

My wife has one exactly like that, and the barreled action on it was made by BRNO, then imported to the factory in Manchester, England where it was assembled and exported to the USA. But perhaps Whitworth made some of their own. I would love to see the evidence of that, because I can always learn a new thing.

Thanks,

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The barreled action was imported to England for Yugoslavia by Interarms. The Whitworth Rifle is a fancy version of the Mark X rifles sold here by interarms with nicer stocks and bluing on them than on the Mark X's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless, looks like a very classy mauser 7x57.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice rifle, its probably an imported Mark X Whitworth assembled for Interarms by Whitworth In England. Sold in the US by Interarms and its basically a Mark X, but not to be confused with the Whitworth Express rifles...

If you could furnish the markings and whats enscribed on the left rail of the action, then folks would know exactly what you have..The confusion comes from the fact that early on the Mark X was made by Whitworth and later the same gun was built elsewhere and sold by Interarms out of Alexandria Va...at least thats pretty close to correct.

Last edited by atkinson; 04/03/09.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mine says Zastava, Yugoslavia. Does not have the bolt shroud safety. Can't tell on this one. Yes, a couple more pics would Identify it.

HM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looks like a mark x viscount to me

Last edited by 338rcm; 04/03/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The barrel contour at the receiver ring is not like any Mark X I've ever seen and I own a bunch of their actions and Whitworths. No flames intended, but it appears to be a Viscount stock with a different shroud,barrel and bolt handle which is not swept back a smidge and blued. More pics would ID it. If it is a Whitworth is would be stamped on the receiver as well as where it was manufactured. Nice rifle in a very desirable caliber IMHO smile .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps a few more pics would be nice, maybe some pics of the receiver.
Thanks,
Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My apologies to anyone who thinks I'm slighting the gun. I'm not. I just said what I knew about Whitworth rifles.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...It sure looks like a mark X to me. The Whitworth name, as has been pointed out, is no great assurance of elite quality. They covered the 'waterfront' with rifles carrying the Whitworth name so far as quality, and attention to detail quality went.

R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I am definitely not an expert on these as my "bag" is Ruger #1's. All I know is this came from a gentleman that lived in Leeds, England and he was quite well to do. He told me it was a Whitworth and I had no reason to doubt him. I am currently in Tulsa OK at the Wanemacher Gun Show and showed a collector the photos and he is way too interested in it for me to think it is a "freak". He did ask for additional photos as well. Anyway, I will send whoever is interested the same photos. The only cavaet is the collector here in Tulsa stated if it what "he believed it is" he was offering me considerably more than what I was asking.

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
cafsman:Get a gun appraiser to tell you what it's worth.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not wishing to disrespect the poster of this item for sale but I can state with absolute authority that this rifle was NOT manufactured by the firm of Joseph Whitworth in England as the only English company that manufactured Mauser style rifles was BSA & they never made actions such as this. J Whitworth were out of business long before such rifles were imported to the USA by Interarms. Sam Cummings was a very astute businessman & as such, he knew the value of a name that had a good reputation for quality.

Nothing in this post should be construed to mean that the poster is trying to deceive anyone as to the heritage of the rifle. However, just because the person he purchased the rifle came from Leeds, England means absolutely nothing. I myself was born & raised not 25 miles from Leeds & I can assure you that after almost 30 years in the firearms business, both in the UK & here, unless I have absolute proof of provenance, I tend not to specify that something was made in a certain place.

Nevertheless, you have a nice Mauser actioned rifle, it's just assembled rather than MADE in England.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, I've never seen an Interarms Mark X on any flavor with British proof marks on it. Maybe this rifle was made to be sold on the European or Australian market, rather than for the U.S. and Canadian market.

Jeff

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Cafsman indicated he is/was on a trainging mission and may not be able to respond for a week or so. I also requested a few additional photos.
Frank

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If Cafsman is on a training mission and may not be able to respond for a week or so, why do you suppose he just two hours ago posted his ad on a new forum?
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=52124
Jerry/AK

"Smile, God loves you!"
R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
If you have been following my posts I said i would be back Tuesday. I got back late and have replied to several inquiries on this rifle. I was checking my posts on the AK forum and added this one and another.

Nice to have someone look after me Jerry/AK.

Frank, I should have photos tomorrow. If you saw on the other forum one of the guys that professes to be an authority on these now has stated it has the proper proof markings but is not like anything he has seen......exactly how I described it. Contact me at ruger1vprodigy.net and I will reply with the photos for you.

NRA Endowment Member
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you figured out yet that this rifle was not manufactured in England?

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.