T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I had read about the Bi-Fur-Pod.
Good web site.
I was going to build one but got lazy.
Then a rush to prep for last years elk and white tail hunt.

At the last minute I grabbed 2 cheap telescoping walking sticks and a zip tie. Boy it worked good. Took an elk from a sitting position at 160 yards. Could have shot an apple off his back.
Even with buck fever of seeing my 1st bull elk. shocked

My idea is the shape would be like a peace sign.
The legs would fold into one.
A hand grip at the top so to use it as a walking stick.
Then a telescoping feature so the height is always right.

So who makes the best bi pod shaped shooting sticks for hunting?

BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I do. But mine are mono.

I watch for a nicely forked birch out when hunting & collect it. Trim it to about an inch and a quarter full length diameter staff while watching on stand, in camp, otherwise bored, etc., cut to user's height. Black tape a couple short pieces of pipe wrap to the fork for a gun rest.

Serves mostly as a walking stick, especially handy under load. On level or uphill slope, the foot can be kicked out in front to make an appropriate height gunrest. shooting downslope, the to-your-height compensates to a reasonable extent.

YMMV according to terrain/game/hunting method. I seldom have the opportunity for a sitting shot....

Splash them with a shot of safety orange paint or bit of neon-pink flagging ribbon. I've got 3 walking/shooting staffs downstairs, and a half -dozen unadorned ones out there in the woods somewhere.....I know where most of them are- I just haven't been back there.... smile

I treat my black binocs and range-finder the same way- who in the world wants camo s? - if I could find some nice neon-colored ones, now....I'd spend a lot less time going back to retrieve them...

Last edited by las; 04/07/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gents I gotta say, "Who the hell needs shooting sticks"?

My old D.I. would roll over in his grave if I mounted my rifle on a set of so called shooting sticks. Those are for people who never learned to shoot a blessed rifle in the first place or master the skills to do so. Now that's my story hunters.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've made several Bi-fur pods. I was using them for varmint...coyotes and the like hunting. I need all the advantage I can get trying to hit a loaf of bread sized target out to 200 yds. They were better than nothing. I found them to be a little noisy for coyotes when the coyotes came in close though. It was hard to relocate sometimes without major problems.

I finally bought the real deal. It was the adjustable polecats. I found them to be more adaptable, quieter and the weight of the rifle in the saddle at the top didn't keep trying to spread the sticks and kicking one leg into the air.

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Check out www.predatorsniperstyx.com. They make a real good quality product.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tonk, would your DI have wanted you to take advantage of a rest such as a pack, tree, rock or whatever, if you needed to make a difficult shot and only had one chance? If he would have, what's the difference between using shooting sticks and an available field rest? By the way, don't military trained snipers use bipods?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Riflemen shoot offhand if they have too but use any advantage they can to make the shot: rocks, sticks, trees etc.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeremyKS
Check out www.predatorsniperstyx.com. They make a real good quality product.

+1...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tonk
Gents I gotta say, "Who the hell needs shooting sticks"?

My old D.I. would roll over in his grave if I mounted my rifle on a set of so called shooting sticks. Those are for people who never learned to shoot a blessed rifle in the first place or master the skills to do so. Now that's my story hunters.

An average rifleman will a little practice with sticks will outshoot 99% of folks shooting offhand.

After all, Boddington is a Marine and uses sticks. wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If your looking for a DIY project try making your own. I made a pair of out of 3/4" oak dowels. I used a flush mounted brass bolt as a pivot point and an old leather rifle sling as the cradle. I used brass screws to mount the leather and can adjust the length of the cradle using the different holes in the sling. I found some brass plumbing fixtures (some sort of nozzle fitting)at the hardware store that fit over the end of the dowels just perfect. Inside the ends I used Acraglass to secure bridge spikes as tips. I then cut the spikes off and sharped the tips so they won't slide out when using them on slick ground. I placed a leather strap near the tips to bind the sticks together so it could be used as a walking stick. The total length of the sticks is 48", just right for me to use as walking sticks.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Two pieces of cane, cut to whatever length is comfortable and tied together about 10" work as good as anything. Light and strong, lasts a few years and you can paint it, camo wrap it, or add carry loops, ect. And the price is right.

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Stoney Point polecat......very steady and versatile.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Yer still buying chit... smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Yer still BUYING chit... when home brew works just as well. But to each his own. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've just used sturdy dowels and a few castration bands to hold them together. Quiet, steady, and damn cheap to reproduce if I would happen to lose or break 'em. Wrapped 3M foam tape around the tops, covered with electrical tape to keep everything quiet while positioning. Hit 'em with Krylon to blend in while coyote hunting.

I've got 3 or 4 years on the sticks I'm using now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.