T
This twice we've disagreed. Once more and I take you off my speed dial. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In Texas a GW doesn't need a warrant to check you,your vehicle or your residence or anything else if he deemed it necessary.I agree with isaac.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
That's the neat thing about friendships and having a healthy debate against someone who's opinion you greatly respect. It ain't personal. In fact, it would be really boring if we all agreed with each other all the time.

I see both sides of this and you advocate your position with your usual talented,near persuasive style. Just not for me; at least for today,anyways. We just see it different, pard...that's all.

Last edited by isaac; 04/13/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If the Game warden was threatened with his life, he certainly would not turn his back on an armed man. I can't see how a game warden would risk his badge for an encounter with an old guy unless it was a dangerous situation. I know others have had bad encounters with game wardens, and maybe I've just been lucky in Wyoming. But I've never ever had a bad encounter with a game warden, even when I was clearly in the wrong with one stupidly bad decision I made. They were all professional by the book, knowledgeable, and respectful. I remember an old guy I ran into, that fortunately for me, he was friendly. But he had some hard core attitudes about poaching elk on his back forest, and plainly, with cold eyes, said he'd bury any game warden who tried to stop him. I believed him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting story. At least the Squirrel Sheriff's are taking the heat this time. The GW's in this state are issued chainsaws for this type of particular incident.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Now you've forced me to take you off my speed dial too for agreeing with him. grin

BTW, I know a Texas lawyer who doesn't agree with the residence part.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK, I'll modify my statement to add these quotes, which among others I could search from this thread which show a decidedly anti law enforcement/anarchist viewpoint.

Originally Posted by toltecgriz
"Game warden killing spree?" I haven't seen anyone advocate that.
What are you talking about?

+++++++++++++++++++==
Yeah, I think the lesson here is not to let the game warden get the drop on you. In the future everyone should just SSS.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==
Originally Posted By: lodgepole
Originally Posted By: Cossatotjoe
Originally Posted By: 6mm250
Were you there?

Mike

I don't have to have been. The GW is a murderer.

You are excused from jury duty.

Nope, I would lie my ass off to get a chance to hang that bastard.
+++++++++++++++++++++
It is well past time for reason when things like this happen on as regular a basis as they currently do. I'm ready to set up a guilliotine and begin an American "Reign of Terror".

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 257wby
Kinda takes the fun outta poachin if'n you're gonna get shot. wink Oh wait, can you really poach if it's on your OWN land?
But it's not your own land, house, property, wife, child once the government says otherwise. I believe you need to enroll in the Bill of Rights and Wrongs re-education program. Resistance is futile......you will be assimilated. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I thought you meant GWs in general since it was characterized as a spree, implying more than a few.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
That is what I'd call a superb CMA!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought you meant GWs in general since it was characterized as a spree, implying more than a few.

Nope, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Although it seems some might feel that way.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 04/13/09. Reason: clarification of thoughts.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
NP

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by tx270
Bob

My remark was semi-tongue in cheek, but I hope if I were in the GW's position, I wouldn't feel the need to kill the old guy just because my authority had been challenged. The citation, if one was going to be written, could have been served in other ways.

I agree with you toltecgriz, except that he was threatened with his life by an armed man, a little different than just having your authority challenged.

Bill

Of course we have to take the Game Wardens word for that don't we.

Nope, no more than we would anyone else's. Unfortunately, he's the only word we've got that anyone here knows of.

But some here think the game warden automatically is lying about what happened just because he's a game warden. I think the truth is some here just want a game warden look bad regardless of the truth.

Its what they want to have happened in their imagination, regardless of what really did happen.

BTW if its found the game warden was wrong, I hope they nail his butt to the wall for it.

Bill

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
"I think that he could of went back to the road and waited for Coffee and his son and two grandsons to come out..."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, the GW had to take cover for some reason and there might have been witnesses.
Ok. I see where you got that now. I guess I figured they were hunting different areas. If there were witnesses, I would have thought the articles would have mentioned it. No matter. Thanks!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I could very well be mistaken on the interpretation. Kind of why I said I'm merely working from some assumptions.

There's no right or wrong amongst us. We're all really guessing without having all the facts, aren't we?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As has been said, we have only one side of the story and that's all we will have. And GW is not about to admit that he killed the game offender just to show him that he could. Or that he was so afraid that nothing else seemed to be the right thing to do. It would be an insult to his manhood and high office to walk away only to come back later with more men. In Wyoming, if I have it right, GWs can come on to private property only with the landowner's permission or a warrant. Private property is considered as hallowed ground by GWs and dog catchers. Real law men don't need the invite.

We just ain't never gonna know what happened.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
In Wyoming, if I have it right, GWs can come on to private property only with the landowner's permission or a warrant.

In North Carolina GWs don't need permission or a warrant , they go where they please.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the old man had a hearing problem. The bastid prolly only had a few years left anyway.

If the GW has a job after this, it will be a serious blow to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I have no respect for that outfit anyway. They are totally run by politicos, and not biologists.

I hope they use the rope from the ladder to hang the GW. HE SHOULD HAVE WALKED AWAY!

http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-hunter-killed-090412,0,4986126.story

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have hunted a lot in NC & baiting of deer is legal, but not turkey. Bait has to be removed a number of weeks before turkey season starts. The bottom line is that baiting turkey is not a capital offense. Certainly, the old guy(kind of strange for an old guy like me to be calling someone else an old guy) should have climbed down & not threatened the warden. I know many wardens & most are great at protecting our wildlife, but a few are a$$holes. We have had hostage stand offs with bank robbers & even murderers where non lethal means were used such as tear gas. Why couldn't the warden have called the police & meanwhile went to the house on the property & tried to discuss with family? I believe the warden escelated this shooting & should be accountable. I feel deeply for the family.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Bigbuck....Has this changed since 1999?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

September 8, 1999
FORMAL OPINION NO. 99-006
TO: John Baughman, Director
Wyoming Game and Fish Department
Attorney General
Michael L. Hubbard
Deputy Attorney General
Rowena Heckert
Deputy Attorney General
QUESTION 1: Do Game and Fish enforcement officers have authority to enter
private lands without a search warrant, or without landowner
permission, or �without probable cause� that a violation is
occurring in order to check compliance with hunting and fishing
laws and regulations?
SHORT ANSWER: Game and Fish law enforcement officers may enter open fields
without a search warrant, or without landowner permission, or
without probable cause to check compliance with hunting and
fishing laws and regulations.
QUESTION 2: May Game and Fish law enforcement officers enter private
property to check compliance with statute and regulations when
it is simply known or probable that hunting or fishing activities are
occurring?
SHORT ANSWER: If the private property is an open field, the law enforcement
officers may enter the property to check compliance. Probable
cause is required to search individual effects and buildings.
QUESTION 3: If wardens do have the authority, then does the Commission have
the power through policy to restrict this authority on private lands?
If the Commission does have this power, the Commission could,
1) choose to restrict enforcement authority or, 2) choose not to
restrict enforcement authority on private lands.
SHORT ANSWER: The Wyoming Game and Fish Commission may only interpret the laws
of the state and therefore may not limit the authority of law enforcement
officers to enter private property. See Discussion.
DISCUSSION
I. The Statutes
The State of Wyoming, in its sovereign capacity and as trustee, must manage and
regulate the State�s wildlife for the common benefit and interest of all its citizens:
For the purpose of this act, all wildlife in Wyoming is the property
of the state. It is the purpose of the act and the policy of the state
to provide an adequate and flexible system for control,
propagation, management, protection and regulation of all
Wyoming wildlife. (Emphasis added.)
WYO. STAT. � 23-1-103.
This ownership of the wildlife is also sanctioned by the United States Constitution.
O�Brien v. State, 711 P.2d 1144, 1148-49 (Wyo. 1986), quoting Lacoste v. Department of
Conservation of the State of Louisiana, 263 U.S. 545, 44 S.Ct. 186, 68 L.Ed. 437 (1924).
The legislature has required the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission, acting through the
Wyoming Game and Fish Department, to administer, manage and maintain all the State�s
wildlife. WYO. STAT. �� 23-1-302 and 23-1-401. A very significant portion of that wildlife is
found on private property.
By statute, the legislature has provided the Commission with extensive authority and
responsibility to regulate and manage the wildlife resources of the State. WYO. STAT. � 23-1-
302(a)(xvi). In order to protect the wildlife resources of the State, the legislature has enacted
many, many statutes requiring or forbidding certain activities which routinely occur on private
property. Some of those prohibited activities include hunting without a license, WYO. STAT.
� 23-1-101; fishing without a license, WYO. STAT. � 23-3-301; hunting without required colored
clothing, WYO. STAT. � 23-3-113; hunting on private property without landowner permission,
WYO. STAT. � 23-3-305; and exceeding the limits on the number, kinds, and sometimes
gender, of animals and fish to be taken. WYO. STAT. �� 23-3-101 through 109 and �� 23-2-
201 through 208. Additionally, licensees are required to produce their licenses for inspection
at the request of any authorized Department representative, and there are different licenses

William Arthur Ward

Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
255 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.