Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok here's the deal. By the first of 2010 I will be able to handle getting one or two Pointing dogs. Over the past 8 years I have hunted over friends English Setters. Great dogs but I would rather have a Brittany or GSP.

I will be hunting western quail and chukar.

I enjoy watching the dogs work more than shooting birds and shoot birds for the dogs; however enjoy meals of quail and chukar.

I am concidering the Brittany because of it's size, but how well will it perform in the big canyons of chukar country?

I'm certain the GSP could handle big chukar country.

Any opinions?

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both a male Brittany, and a Male GSP. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. Both of the pups are out of field lines, and I feel like they fit the same mold for my style of hunting which is mostly Pheasant here in Colorado and North Dakota.

Both are puppies, the britt almost 9 months, and the GSP just about 4 months. I took the britt to North Dakota in November and it took him all of 15 minutes to figure out how to hunt. After that he has been like a machine and will not stop until I physically but him back in the truck. The GSP being only 4 months missed hunting this past season but when we go out and train he comes and seems to be catching on without any trouble.

The GSP is a little more hard headed, but he is also a huge lover and tends to fall asleep with my 6 year old daughter on the couch at night, whereas the Britt takes a while to settle down.

You can not go wrong with either dog, I would not give up wither of mine for love nor money.

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the reply, because you have one of each it is even better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reba, we had Brittney Spainiels for some 17 years when I was growing up, the fieldsd we hunted for the most part where around the 75 to 200 acre range. The Britts worked close in and that was fine back in those days as the quail in my state were plentiful. Not so today!

Now on any hunt out West, I will put my money on the German Shorthair because for one they are a tuffer bred and they cover more ground quicker. I think they have a little bit more nose on them for finding those Chukar and Blue Quail like in Texas.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tonk,

Thanks for that information.

I was concerned that the Brittany might not have the range required for my type of hunting.

I believe I will need a bigger running dog.

It is also my understanding that the GSP is a tuffer dog than most; which will be required in chukar country.

Please keep the info comming; because I have a number of months before I aquire a new pointer.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tough question that will be answered best by visiting plenty of breeders and spending time talking with them. Both breeds are great choices. I don't think you would go wrong with either. Both breeds can produce big runners or close running dogs. After you see some litters and their parents you will be able to make an informed choice.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Reba,
You can also do water work with the GSP. We hunt ours on ducks here in Az. Of course not in Jan in SD but it still is another element of versatility that the brittany doesnt have. The coat is another thing for me with burrs and stickers. Go with the GSP. I have some puppies on the ground if you are interested of some good dogs. Thanks

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Now on any hunt out West, I will put my money on the German Shorthair because for one they are a tuffer bred and they cover more ground quicker. I think they have a little bit more nose on them for finding those Chukar and Blue Quail like in Texas.

You better not tell Nolan Huffman that. He will take you money all day long. A little Brit named Buddy is the winningest dog of all time in NSTRA. No other dog even comes close. To say a GSP can outhunt a Brit is crap. It has more to do with breeding then breed. You can get a great big running Brit or GSP. You can also get a flop in either breed. If you get a Brit from good Field Trail lines then they will run just as big as a GSP. Hell, for the most part they will run just as big as an EP or ES. The same can be said for a well breed GSP. Get a dog with good field trail lines and they will run big in either breed.... Btw. I watched a little brit destroy a GSP in AA field trails a couple weeks ago. BUT, I also saw a GSP put on a show at a NSTRA event. Flip a coin, both are good dogs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JetJockey.....Now it seems as though I ruffled your feathers just a bit by the sound of your post. Now here this: YES, breeding is everything in a particular breed of dog. I do know a little something about breeding and dogs understand.

Now your going to tell me all about NSTRA trails held in those 80 acre fields. My dogs just get warmed in in 80 acre's! I will run my dogs against anybody's NSTRA dogs, that hunt penned raised quail.

Most of those type dogs are just to damn slow and won't run big enough savvy! You really expect to compare a "National Field Trial" event to a NSTRA Trial, please do give me a break sir. This is why the judges ride horseback to follow those slow moving GSP's across the countryside.

Let's see now, I saw the national nstra championship on TV, there must have been at least 20 people there and a total of 8
dogs competing in that so called event on the Outdoor Channel.

CRAP Hey! Well sir,you put your money up and I'll let you run against one of my GSP's, I'll give you odds your Britt won't be able to keep up for a fact. You are comparing a pony to a Thoroughbred race horse that simple.

To compare a Britt that can field trial to a GSP field trialer is like comparing your Granddads buick to an Indy Car.

The National Field Trials, held down in Eureka Springs Arkansas has 70 to 90 top Field Champion GSP's competting in the "All Age" class aloan, with 35 top pro-trainers trying to win that title......One heck of a big difference in competition compared to the running of the NSTRA Event.

Britts are soft and like I said, won't cover the ground as fast as a GSP with performance breeding running through it's veins. I still think their noses are better too across the board. There are always exceptions,to every rule but breed for breed the GSP comes out on top in my book.

You take those nstra Britt dogs out to CPR grass in Kansas or a 1000 acre field in Texas on blue quail and let me see if they can find there way back, or run down a few of those pheasant up in South Dakota in the sand hills. Britts are no comparison to a "Slick" bred GSP dog in the field.

You don't need to tell me about breeding, I started learning those facts around the late 50's give or take a month. Now on hunting Chuckar out West, the GSP gets the nod. We had Britts for 17 years and changed over to a dog breed, that could cover over twice the ground and was raw bone tuff. I haven't seen a Britt yet that is as tuff a dog, as any of those GSP's I have in the backyard.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/14/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tonk,

Sounds like you know what real chukar hunting is about.

Most folks don't really understand the term "Big Running Dog".

When you have a dog 1/2 mile out on point and need binoculars to find him, you have a Big Running Dog"!!!

Some folks would say, "I don't want my dog working out that far"

I bet they don't find the birds we do.

Hell I just might get a GSP and a Brittany and they can both try to out do my Australian Cattle Dog. BTW her name is Reba.

IC B3

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Birddog..........what state are you located in?

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I wasn't comparing NSTRA to AA dogs. What you said is that GSP's will outhunt Brits all day long. I just showed you an example that you were wrong. I'm not defending NSTRA either. There is a huge difference between AA dogs and NSTRA dogs. But I have seen several AA dogs get smoked at NSTRA events by those "slow" running dogs. The funny thing is my pup comes from AA field trial lines. There is over 5 HOF dogs in her pedigree. She is only 10 months old and she eats up land like its going out style. We don't ride horses behind her because we don't have any, but we do track her on GPS and follow with a Polaris Rino. Seems she likes to be 1/2 + in front of us on the GPS. Thats the reason I'm sending her to one of the best Brittany trainers in the country. But hell, I guess I should just keep her from going to S. Dakota for the summer since there is no way she will be able to keep up with those supper dupper fast pheasants. Oh wait, Ive hunted Brits for my entire life in WA state in the palouse hills. I guess those wheat fields that run for 5 mile in either direction are considered small for where you hunt. Im so excited I plan on running her off horseback just like those mightey GSP's you have that are so wonderful. BTW.. If GSPS are so great why isn't a GSP the all time NSTRA winner? It should be a piece of cake and make some breeder a lot of money. I know what AA dogs can do, and I hate to tell you but neither Brits or GSP's are real All Ages dogs. Come down to Ames with me, and Ill show you true all ages 3 hour dogs that average 9+ miles an hour for 3 hours straight. Its only 5 hours from my house. I can get some horses for us just like the ones we used at the field trail back home in WA state. Just don't tell the Brit that smoked the GSP he was running against he didn't have a chance. 5 finds vs. 2 finds in a one hour stake. I guess nobody told that little Brit it couldn't beat a GSP...... The only thing I agree with you is that GSP's are tougher dogs, and on average they may run a little (very little) bit bigger then Brits. But who cares, neither one is gonna keep up with the true BIG running Pointers...... Like I said, it has more to do with individual breeding then it does the breed! ...... BTW... I wasn't aware the National Championship field trials were held in Eureka Springs AR... I thought they were held at Ames Plantation in TN..

http://www.amesplantation.org/

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am in Arizona, Eagar to be exact. You have stirred up the NSTRA trial people! Good luck with your selection.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JetJockey if you show up at the nationals this year, please do bring a couple of your dogs with you, please do! We can entertain folks and you can show me how your NSTRA BRITT is going to run circles around my line bred Slick GSP's.

Yeah, I get a kick out of the adds in the Pointer Journal about NSTRA 10 time champion studs from various places. Bottom line is that there is only #1 AKC National Field Trail Champion a year period in the German Shorthair Bred. There is also an ALL BREED NATIONALS but I haven't seen any Britts take that honor as of lately have you?

I do remember when NFC/FC "Ricky's Rolling Thunder" won the event, he of course was a German Shorthair Pointer for heavens sake. I believe Nebraska has the Great Plains Open event for all breeds too come to think of it and a GSP won that one last year, son of "RICKY" another GSP dog.

Say, do you even have any bird dogs to run? Just asking now ruffed feathers!

Last edited by Tonk; 04/15/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reba, I got a 2yr old (Slick & Hud bred)that has $500 dollars worth of color on him and a pedigree that the Queen of England would like to have behind her, not to mention the fact that this dog has speed to burn and points very stylishly.

He is a big male weighing 65 pounds right now. Top side is FC/AFC Huds Kicking Up Dust and he is out of my #1 Bitch, who is own daughter of NFC/FC MRT, son of 5 time national field trial champion Heide Mighty City Slicker or SLICK as most know him.

I also have 2 very nice 7 month old pups, (male & female) who's grandparents are both top & bottom of pedigree, National Field Trial Champions, if you are interested send me a PM.

I will also have 2 litters coming sometime in Aug or Sept. Just to let you know ok. One will be sired by this years "national quail hunting champion" FC/AFC "Bingo Buck" (Won All Age Dog Of The Year For 2008) who has won it 2 years in a row now.

Buck will be bred to my #1 Bitch, who is daughter of a national champion and granddaughter to 5 X national champ "SLICK". His sons have won the Nationals the last 2 years as matter of fact, NFC/FC Cutter & NFC/FC Jacks R Better.

Reba, we don't let our dogs get a 1/2 mile out in front and look at a GPS to find them OK! Our dogs are trained to know that once they hit that 200 yard marker, it's time to come back around and take a look see what the master wants. A hand signal will tell them left or right. A Beep from the collar and they know to wind in closer. I use a small set of bino's (10x23) sometimes.

We send out 2 dogs at a time and usually will take 6 to 7 dogs with us on a bird hunt out of state. The 6 dog trailer and ATV go along behind the motorhome. Mama's dog rides in the backseat, she is the boss dog of the kennel.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/15/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GSP personality questions:

All I've heard about the GSP's personality are from people that have never owned one and all comments were negative; such as dumb as a rock, over active etc. HOWEVER all these dogs were city dwellers.

Comments please.

BTW I would travel a 1000 miles to buy a great dog.

Last edited by Reba; 04/16/09.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mines a pup yet, but is no where near as hyper active as my schipperke(think about like a Jack Russel) was at the same age.....he seems to be fairly smart so far and is picking up the general idea on most of what im trying to teach him rather quick but he is 11 weeks old or so and doesnt have the greatest attention span, which is to be expected....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ive got a German Shorthair pointer. Ive had them for years. The reason I like the GSP over longer hair dogs is a couple things. First GSP tend to work closer to you ranging no further than 30-40yards at most with a properly trained dog. Second, I hunted with a guy that had a Britney that had to put his dog up because it got into some cockabur (spelling) patch and came out limping because they were caught in her feet pads and all over her body. My GSP ran threw it with no problems. Plust there really pretty dogs.

The most important thing is spend time with your dog and train him/her correctly and you'll have a great dog no matter what breed you go with.

My dogs named Howard and hes 10 months old. Hes gonna be a BIG dog. He already broke is igloo dog house that was made for full size adult dogs now im gonna have to build him a house. As stated above GSP are a great family addition. There so big, but also very loving and gentle. My dog was holding a point when I bought him last September. He comes from a good pedigree his father was a 2 time AKC champion and his mother was imported from Germany and she was a 2x champion in Germany. Of course he was alot of money though, but hes worth it.

Last edited by marku; 04/16/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
REBA....I will break down the German Shorthair Bred to you in just 3 catagories understand. #1. You have the Show Bred GSP dogs, very pretty to look (males are 75 to 85lbs) at and most are bred for LOOKS ONLY! Some will hunt but not with the authority as general rule as those in the "field trial" sector.

#2. Then you have those GERMAN type from German bloodlines and those are much larger in size and again they are Slower in the field and do not have the stamia of GSP field trial bred dogs. These dogs are not recognized by the AKC org. in the USA. They do many things with their dogs, especially water work and tracking game.

#3. Those that have field trial breeding and are a top performance dogs in the field. Oh yes, one's ears might be longer than show ring judges like to see or their gate may not be to their liking but nothing in the GSP breed performance lines is going to keep up with this type of GSP in the field. These dogs are bird finding and running machines to say the least. Most do NOT work close in like other breeds will.

We raise at our kennel, some of the best bred GSP's for hunting on foot, nstra competition, and field trialing in the country bar none. You want bloodlines here goes Reba!

#1.NFC/FC "Magnums Touch Of Gold" also runner up national quail hunting champion.

#2. NFC/AFC/FC "Heide HO'S MRT" son of "SLICK" 5 time NFC all aged dog. Who's son's are still winning national titles year after year.

#3. NFC/FC "Ricky's Rollin Thunder" Champion of the All Breed age dogs.

We have studs and bitches out of all three of these blood lines. You just send me a PM if your really interested in a quality dog or pup.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reba....Any questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help ok.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/16/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
121 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.