Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So when you lung shoot a deer and it runs off, do you assume you hit it solidly, and just watch it run? I don't have the confidence to do this - usually I'm shooting at running deer (in front of dogs) and almost always through brush. Too many things can go wrong for me to be confident on my first shot. Only once have I held off and that was on a buck that I could see was leaking like a garden hose at 50+ yards. I watched him go another 100 yards and collapse.

I am a shoulder shooter and it's not that I'm a poor hunter - it's just that I tend to shoot at deer until they are down (maybe that's weird, but that's how I was taught). If I'm going to do that, the way to waste least meat is to put it down on the first shot.

Most of my deer hunting is done with a .444. Normally I use the 265 grain loads, but for quite a few years they were unavailable (factory), so I used .240 grains... The 265 grains are not that bad, but the 240 grains make a mess of the shoulder - but less of a mess that if I shoot through the lungs and then a couple shots in the rump as it runs away.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not real shure what your asking.

If I shot at a running deer I'd keep shooting cause I'd not be overly confident on the shot. All the deer I've shot in the lungs did not go very far. Keep in mind they were not being chased by dogs either.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
shows to go ya....

there's all different kinds of hunting.

Up here if we saw a dog chasing a running deer we'd shoot the dog first then the deer.

grin

don't take that wrong, nobody wants to shoot your dog. We just can't hunt that way up here so we would assume certain responsibilities to put a stop to a deer chasing dog.

our running deer are usually running because of a "drive" effort.

Lots of groups organize drives to get deer moving.

I don't, I still hunt & stand hunt.

But I have shot at running deer & elk & in that case I too focus on the shoulder & shoot till I know the animal isn't going to get away from me wounded.

when I stand hunt or still hunt & I am aforded a confident still or walking shot I do my best to lung shoot just behind the shoulder.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Reiche
So when you lung shoot a deer and it runs off, do you assume you hit it solidly, and just watch it run?

Mostly yes. A good bunch of them never make more than a few steps, most not more than 30 yds. When hunting from a stand (or a perch ast Steelhead put it), and shooting at a deer 30 yds away with a rest I generally feel pretty comfortable with my shots.

If I am not confidant of the shot.. then I keep shooting until their down or I can't see them anymore.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pretty much the same as noKnees. I hunt tree stands almost exclusively in Jersey and the Catskills of NY. Shots are generally close and the deer unalarmed, so it's not difficult to get that perfect broadside shot.

30-06, 6MM, 270, 12GA foster slug, 12GA sabot slug, round ball muzzleloader, sabot muzzleloader or arrow, the all seem to react pretty much the same, if you get that broadside shot right behind the shoulder only damaging a rib going in & out, they take off like a bat, go 30-35 yards and drop. If you listen, you can actually hear them drop.

Only exception I've seen is with an arrow, I've shot several with a perfect broadside shot and put the arrow right through them, they jump or flinch, then stand there alert, or start taking a few steps like they're going to sneak out of the area and fall over after a few steps. One actually went back to feeding and was chewing as he fell over.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When we used to do drives, you shot til they dropped. I hunt in slug zone, & an unaware deer hit with a .73 caliber projectile weighing an ounce or more generally show signs of being hit if they're hit well. These days, I use a muzzle loader for everything, and have yet to need a second shot with it.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I jack another shell in as fast as I can, but out of the mere 20 or so deer I've killed, only ONE even gave me the chance for a 2nd shot anyway... it's just so thick around here, they dissapear fast.

I have generally chosen the cartridge and bullet I use to minimize meat damage, and I generally try to NOT shoot them in the shoulder. That all went the hell in a handbasket this year, when I shot a buck through the... uh... rear shoulder. Ooops.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's that 30-35 yards after the shot thing... That's probably time for another couple of shots and if it's running straight away, it's not going to be pretty.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
rear shoulder. TFF!!

i have to remember that one grin

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Reiche
It's that 30-35 yards after the shot thing... That's probably time for another couple of shots and if it's running straight away, it's not going to be pretty.

It's pretty thick where I hunt, generally a bound or 2 and the cover has swollowed them up, very little opportunity for a second shot or third shot.

Practice, have confidence in your shooting ability, make the first shot like it's the only shot you'll get, and listen to him drop right after the cover swallows him up.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
shows to go ya....

Up here if we saw a dog chasing a running deer we'd shoot the dog first then the deer.

grin

*LOL* I was thinking the same thing.

To answer the original question, yes, I'll normally shoot again if the opportunity presents itself. Rare is the occasion due to heavier cover etc.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
you lousy hunter grin

LOL!!

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
blush grin

WWP53D
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We could all do worse.

I just got a kick out of something Jeff O wrote, he talked about accidentally shooting the "rear shoulder"

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just got a kick out of something Jeff O wrote

Welcome to the campfire. cool

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just got a kick out of something Jeff O wrote, he talked about accidentally shooting the "rear shoulder"
grin

Northern Dave,

"Rear Shoulders" ???

Whats funny about that? Lots of animals have "rear shoulders" grin grin

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Peter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rear shoulder. TFF!!

i have to remember that one grin

Dave, it was the first animal I butchered myself, and it was a fitting punishment for my transgression. I had to confront the mess I'd made, and deal with it, myself. What a PITA.

I'd stay out of those rear shoulders, if I were you. Just sayin'... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh I've been there. lots of us would rather not admit it but I aint gonna pretend I don't know what femur shrapnel looks like grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I generally get one shot and that's it. If the deer dowsn't drop on the spot I always assume its a marginally shot and give time and proceed with care.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't recommend admitting it. Candor is not your friend around here.

You know what though, it was a very timely test of a bullet. I was a little worried, in the back of my mind, that I should have gone with a Partition instead of Accubond (this was my .325, my elk rifle de jour for last season). That bullet smashed right through the hip joint, and went the length of the deer. So I felt much mo' betta about my load after that.

Crazy thing is, that buck ran about 100 yards! That made me feel like crap, too. That had to hurt.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (160user, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.