24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MARKU....YOU only get what you pay for in dogs or pups! The breeding is everything and the only warranty you have to back up your dog or pup. Those titled dogs on a pedigree assure you that certain traits were indeed passed on to that dog or pup.

My pups have over 35 field champions, 2 shooting dog champions, 4 national field trial champions and 3 Hall Of Famers in a 5 generation pedigree. Now that is breeding at it's best!

Last edited by Tonk; 04/16/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Reba you seem to have gotten a ton of crap here. GSP's are in general, intelligent and loyal. They are protective to a fair degree, They are strong willed and they require activity a run, not a walk a run of 20+ minutes everyday or they are "hyper" in the house. They are curious and affectionate too.

As to size the standard is 55-65lbs and 24" at the withers for a full grown male. Not huge dog but no lightweight either.

Any pointing dog that is hacked to or won't run bigger than 30-40 yards is worthless just like the ones at 1/2 mile on the GPS. Planted birds will hang around until woke up. Wild birds you just can't say most just won't hold for a 4 wheeler or for the 10 minutes it takes to walk the half mile to the dog. Most covers people have permission on aren't that big any way.

Brits are smaller in size, smaller running in general and more to maintain coat wise.

I know the others will be here to rail at me but I just hunt wild pheasant, prairie grouse, huns and quail in KS, NE, SD and MT from September through February. I don't run trial of any kind and yes I have hunted with my friends and their dogs who do. FT lines no matter the venue are not guarantees to big running, good noses or wins. Training makes a difference too.

For my money a GSP is the way to go. Expect good to better than average nose, a 250 yard average run distance and good manners from a reputable breeder. Train the dog right and put them in birds and you'll be golden for a decade.

Last edited by Planemech; 04/16/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marku.....I don't know just where you been getting your GSP dogs from, but I can assure you sir that the breed is NOT according to your quote "A close working dog" savvy.

GSP's are more medium range to medium long in working in the fields and there are those that will work out as far as most English Pointers, fact.

All hunting breeds need to be exercised every day and not just kept in the house. They will get a bit antsy to some degree depending on the breeding. Many of them are suitable to be house kept and family dogs. On the other hand, there are those that are line bred Hot as a Firecracker and those are NOT meant to be house kept dogs. You will know one when you come across such an animal. They are not laid back and wanting to lie down! They are full of energy and it shows in their eyes and body language.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Marku.....I don't know just where you been getting your GSP dogs from, but I can assure you sir that the breed is NOT according to your quote "A close working dog" savvy.

All of our dogs that I haved havent worked over 50yards max. Now on the other hand the Brit's that ive hunted over tend or work even further out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
marku.....granted ive got about 3 weeks experience with GSP's but i have been reading up on them alot and your the first ive heard say they consistently work close.....ive heard others say their dogs work fairly close when the cover is heavy and the birds pretty thick but defiantly not at all times....i think your dogs are the exception to the rule.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well all those of us that have trained dogs will tell you we would rather train an "UP" dog than anything else; because we channel that energy to doing the correct thing and award for only doing the correct thing and never punish for doing the wrong thing. If they do the wrong thing they are ignored........

When I get home from work my dogs have been running, barking and playing grab-ass all day and ready to go with me for another romp.

If a dog is mentally deranged they are of no use to me; but there a plenty of deranged people who will give them a home;-)=

I'd get an English Setter; but just prefer the looks of a GSP and what I enjoy more than anything else in life is watching good looking dogs work.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We did have 1 that would range out there. She was the only female Ive ever owned. All the rest were males, and thats 7 dogs ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reba
what I enjoy more than anything else in life is watching good looking dogs work.

A big 10-4 on that Reba! I have found over the years that any good working dog doing any good job is a joy to watch.I work with K9 alot and LOVE to see a good dope dog, or a tracker doing his thing. Really get a charge out of a good independent cow dog working, and of course the stylish stuff, GSPs are gorgeous and a REAL thriller to watch a good one at work... grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's a GSP!

Well boys I was blessed the other day as I was surfing the net I found a guy that was selling his 4 month old GSP and lived a 3 hours drive away.

So yesterday I picked up one of the finest GSP pups you could ever believe. His name is Dutch.

Dutch has already become one of the family and is getting along with Reba just fine.

I don't no much about it but the owner bought Dutch from Wager Kennels in Hutchinson KS. Dutch's Dam was an A.I. bitch and his Sire was NC/FC/AFC Saddke's Lil Clown.

I am in heaven. I don't see any wierd behavor in Dutch except just being a puppy. He will get his first professional tune up in mid September and will be hunting with some of the best this fall.

Thanks for all the help and replys. I am blessed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK REBA, YOU told me to go over on the thread and check out your knew great pup!.....YOU send me a copy via a PM, of the AKC registration and pedigree on your great find. I'll cross referrence the stud and dam. Is his papers AKC registry? American Field registry? or ?

Last edited by Tonk; 04/19/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

M
M
I had never owned a GSP before, but as a professional jackal hunter who hunts at night, I acquired one two years ago on the recommendation of a friend. He took to it within two weeks, my recovery time on kills per stand has dropped from about an hour without a dog, to 4 minutes as he works downwind on aerial scent, he does not get confused on recoveries of up to six carcasses, and at nine months followed a 10 hour old blood spoor for over 500yds. Also don't let anyone tell you they are not intelligent. I run Border collies as sheep dogs, and I reckon he is equal to them on any level, and definitely better than them as far as affection and protection goes. I know that this is a far cry from your usage, but I will never be without a GSP again.

Good luck with your dog,

Mac

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mac21,

It is my understanding that they can be a very good all around.

I also like the idea that they are a tuff breed like my Australian Cattle Dog.

Best wishes.

Reba

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In the AKC All Breed Gun Dog Championship held in Nevada last year, in an unheard of performance, Brittanys won 1st 2nd and 4th place. Currently the #1 AKC Gun Dog winning more points than all others is, yes you guessed it, a Brittany. The Sire of one of our litters, recently deceased, was the #1 AKC All Breed Gun Dog in the nation in 1994. The Brittany has more AKC Dual Champions than all other breeds. Guess you can tell where my loyalties are. That said however, it is breeding and training that makes a great dog in any breed. Check the Breeder, check the Pedigree, check the Sire and Dam, demand Orthopedic soundness and get a guarantee of satisfaction. And work to make your dog the partner you desire whatever the choice.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sorry, a correction to my previous post. In the Retrieving Stake, it was GSP 1st and 3rd. With Britts 2nd and 4th. In the non Retrieve stake it was Britts 1st, 3rd and 4th. GSP 2nd place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Reba! YOU want to send me your pups Pedigree in a PM? I am still waiting to check out it's bloodlines or did you change your mind?

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tonk,

Well, I paid my money and now I can hope for the best.

Dutch is a GSP out of Wager Creek Kennel in Kansas.

His Sir was NC/FC/AFC Saddle's Lil Clown.

I am trying to post a picture for him and Reba but I just haven't figured it out. [Linked Image]

Last edited by Reba; 04/24/09.

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
wonder dog extream taking a chukar break. [Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I love the GSPs, but I got a real soft spot for most of the working/herding breeds like Reba!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, nice head and tail set on that dog, love the color I do. I have a young female out of FC Bingo Buck (national quail champion for 08 & 09) she is colored the same in the body with a star in her forehead.

My wife has a show dog with that same roan color throughout her body. Send me that pedigree and I will run it down for you back to 5 generations anyway. Tonk

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If selecting a bird dog, how could you not consider the English pointers?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.