Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bump! this needs to be on top.......Oh Rick.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good job Dave. I've done several 77's myself. Thanks for the pics. Very helpful for those who haven't done it, and also those who have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done Dave!! You make it look easy, I have been sending my guns out for bedding but I think will make a run at the next one myself.

+100000 on the sticky

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good job Dave, should help make it shoot.
On the ones I've had to add pressure points back into the forend, I've just cut small plastic squares(half of a finger from a shotgun wad come in handy) and add one or two till the groups come back. Then I'll add bedding compound over and under them to keep them in place and give a more uniform cradle to the barrel.
As to the tang mortise fit, I've always been told not to let the back of the tang bear against the stock. Something about being a secondary recoil shoulder causing accuracy problems as well as splits. Don't know that it's true, but have seen it in a couple gunsmith books.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here's my bedded Ruger 77 VT stock :
[Linked Image]

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady One shot in a spray can makes a pretty handy release agent as well and is sometimes easier to make sure you have everything covered since you can spray.

Just a thought, I've used it twice and it worked great and most people already have it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow, very nice andre. That's a level above what I have shown with my acra glass gell progect grin

looks like someone did a full action fit & broke out the clay for bedding dams & everything.

Well, I tinkered again last night a little. I sealed up the wood inside the barrel channel with some linseed oil (it's what I had laying around)

[Linked Image]

I pealed the release agent clean from everything and re drilled the action screw holes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then I got looking at the trigger. I'm ok with a "hunting wieght" pull, but it had too much creep. So I fixed that problem while I had the action out of the stock. I did a little work to the factory trigger and I'm very happy with it now.

Then I put it all back together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/rifle%20bedding/Picture062.jpg[/img]

Now I'm ready for a range test.

Something clever here.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dave,

This is a great post and will prove to be a big help to me for sure. Going to be doing a Winchester Featherweight very soon so the step by step pictures really help. Thanks again. Keep the post going with your range findings & maybe some pics of before and after groups if you have them.

CLB

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am betting on things tightening up for you now. Great looking job on your rifle, and it is a very good looking set-up indeed. Are you planning another elk hunt this fall? If so, it would be a sin not to take this rifle with you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I got a good friend (backwoodsbrian) posts here, he's talking about picking up a left over tag, coming along on our elk hunt & bringing his 257WBY. If Brian brings his 257WBY I'll leave my .300WBY at home & bring this 264 instead (assuming I can get it to shoot) grin

CLB, I've done a couple M70 FWT's. Be sure to keep a clear opening through your wet bedding for the recoil lug screw to be pushed up into place in the stock (with floorplate & hinge) have that clean screw poked up into place& bring the recoil lug to the screw, engage the threads before you let the lug down into the inletting full of wet bedding. That action screw hole in the M70 recoil lug is drilled all the way through up into the action. If you are not careful you can squish a bunch of wet bedding up into the action where the bolt lugs lock into the action.

I know this guy, that learned the hard way..... grin

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more vote for sticky status .
Great step by step and the pics really help.

Great thread Dave cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your trick with the tape on the barrel was worth the time it took to read your tutorial. That's exactly the problem I had when I bedded my first rifle this winter. You mighty large cojones to bed that thing without putting any tape on the stock to protect from splooge. Thanks Dave. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks Dave, I'd love to boast about having done it myself, but it's not the case. I had the rifle bedded to host a new Lothar Walther SS Match bbl.

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's some quality work there Andre. reminds me of the bedding we would tend to on the old M40 A-1's when I was a weapons repairman in the USMC. Someone is using "the runny stuff" grin

which is a whole different bag of tricks & a whole new level of bravery.

I recomend the acra glass gel type of bedding for us hunters looking to do our own acurizing. grin much safer.

thanks Scorp & Phil, that tape band trick is pretty simple but very helpful for centering the barrel. grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I picked up a new box of factory loads. Going with the green box this time, 140 gr soft points again. But the crimp looks perfectly normal on these. The crimp on those win power points looked like a pair of elastic waist band 44" pants on a 28" kid.

I'll send a few down the tube & report results as soon as I get a chance.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax as a release agent
[Linked Image]

it makes it easier to see where the release agent has been applied
[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave a lil knowledge is a dangerouse thing. I read this thread a couple times, and then decided what the heck lets pull the stock and check it out.

Next thing I know I have a chisel and am going to town....

Next thing I know I have Acraglass everywhere. I'm talking it looked like a kindergardner got into the fingerpaints. grin Got everything cleaned up I'll pull it in a hour or so and see just how big of a mess I made outta the hawkeye.

I really need to learn how to just skip over these DIY threads grin grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave I would take a whisker out from behind you tang. just on the radious so you do not split that stock. About the thickness of a piece of scotch tape. Good job very neat. I would have had resin finger prints all over my scope. If I leave the scope on it gets taped up and cover with a wal-mart bag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome post Dave. Thanks for the info, very well presented.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Dave a lil knowledge is a dangerouse thing. I read this thread a couple times, and then decided what the heck lets pull the stock and check it out.

Next thing I know I have a chisel and am going to town....

Next thing I know I have Acraglass everywhere. I'm talking it looked like a kindergardner got into the fingerpaints. grin Got everything cleaned up I'll pull it in a hour or so and see just how big of a mess I made outta the hawkeye.

I really need to learn how to just skip over these DIY threads grin grin

LOL!! Was it a happy ending Bogger??

Something clever here.

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.